HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He strikes me as a top 6 or bust type player. Using the current roster he appears to slot in, but as early as next year, I fail to see him slotting in, especially if he is not a great skater. Players like Roy, Kapanen, Beck, Newhouse will all be better suited for a fast 3rd line that can contribute offensively as well. With Demidov added to the top 6 that leaves one top 9 spot available and I don't think he would be the ideal candidate given the cost to acquire him.
Well all the hype isn't for a 3rd liner, so this guy is being valued as a top 6 like you say. I'm not sure if he can't play bottom 6 but paying for him as a top 6 doesn't seem like GMs are willing to do, as Tyson pointed out.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If McGroarty returns to the NCAA and has a solid season, his worth will be fine.
Zach Hyman told Fla after D+2 he wouldn’t sign w them, had a very good D+3 at U of Mich wasn’t traded and followed it up w an excellent final yeat at Mich, and Leafs gave up bubkas to acquire his rights as he refused to sign w Fla (McKegg + conditional pick)

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
3 trades
-------------------
To Vegas
RHP, Pens 2nd

To Mtl
Roy

Vegas gets much needed cap space, a cheap depth fwd & much needed draft capital.
Habs get a middle 6 asset (cap hit & term/versatility/size/age) that fits our needs well

-------------------
To Philly
Anderson, Primeau, '25 4th

To Mtl
Petersen, Johansen, DLO, '25 Ducks 2nd

Philly pays a pick downgrade to get needed short term cap relief, a Torts approved vet fwd & G prospect with org ties.

Habs offload Anderson's term, add a buffer for X (Dlo can play when opponents dress a fighter to keep X focused on hockey) and a pick upgrade (4th to 2nd) for the two pure cap dumps we take on

-------------------
To Anh
Strubble, Dvorak, '25 ducks 2nd, '25 flames 1st

To Mtl
Zegras

Ducks get 2 draft picks in top ~35 & Strubble, plus stop gap Dvorak to move on from Zegras

Habs give up 3 quality futures to add another high ceiling top 6 U25 forward to the mix... Cementing the start of an era of dynamic, exciting, high octane offense hockey that we've been craving since the 70's
------------

Slaf Suzuki Newhook
CC Dach Zegras
Roy Roy Gally
Heineman Evans Armia
(DLO, Pez, Farrell)

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Barron
Harris

Monty
Petersen

Johansen to LTIR (career looking over)

With that top 9 & Demidov, Beck, Hage, Mesar, Roger, FloX etc, Habs have in house everything necessary to ice a contending worthy top 9 over next 2-3 yrs.

Defense similarly set up to need minimal external addition with RB, Mailloux, Engstrom, Kony all pushing into NHL picture over next 2-3 yrs

Cap situation leaves door open for 1-2 bigger additions to add finishing touch as needed

Last edited:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Zach Hyman told Fla after D+2 he wouldn’t sign w them, had a very good D+3 at U of Mich wasn’t traded and followed it up w an excellent final yeat at Mich, and Leafs gave up bubkas to acquire his rights as he refused to sign w Fla (McKegg + conditional pick)
CBC AND TSN TOLD ME MCKEGG WAS GONNA BE THE NEXT DOUG GILMOUR!

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
3 trades
-------------------
To Vegas
RHP, Pens 2nd

To Mtl
Roy

Vegas gets much needed cap space, a cheap depth fwd & much needed draft capital.
Habs get a middle 6 asset (cap hit & term/versatility/size/age) that fits our needs well
If Roy was available for that Buffalo wouldn't have traded Savoie, and vegas is fine when they put Lehner on LTIR.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
What do you think he's worth to them in trade?
Honestly I doubt they want to move him, everybody likes their center depth and center prices are crazy right now, just look at the contract Monahan got.
It's good for the habs when they trade Dvorak, but right now guess they neeed him unless Beck makes the team.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Honestly I doubt they want to move him, everybody likes their center depth and center prices are crazy right now, just look at the contract Monahan got.
It's good for the habs when they trade Dvorak, but right now guess they neeed him unless Beck makes the team.
Fair... Though to that effect, perhaps Rhp swapped for Dvorak retained 50%, plus the high 2nd, gets the dialogue going.

I'd add any asset <2nd on top of that offer to push it across the line (3rd? Depth prospect?)

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
For me the following targets could be on the block and be quite cheap:
- Holloway (EDM over cap w/o him and Broberg signed)
- Glass (NSH close to the cap, at 2.5m he is not worth his salary for a team in win now mode, very long shot though hoping he ll finally live up to draft expectations)
- Kakko (NYR still has Lindgren Schneider to sign and only 8m cap space, Kakko has been disappointing until now so it would be a food reclamation project. Also NYR has no 2nd the next three years, no 3rd this year they likely would enjoy picks)
- Kaliev (LAK still has to sign Byfield, Spence and Kalieyev has been underwhelming)
- Necas (CAR will focus on Jarvis and Drury in my opinion, which should lower Necas value as time goes. I would not even be surprised if Jarvis already has signed 8x7 but they keep it hidden so that they don t show their lack of cap space for Necas)

Longer shots :
- Mercer (NJD the longest shot, NJD has 5m cap space but also Hughes getting paid next year. Their top 6 already takes 40m cap space, so let s see what can of contract they can / want him to sign to)
- Dorofeyev (in a 3 way trade if VGK thinks they can have a better player for an additional 1.4m cap)
- Farabee (PHI depending on their plan. Does not seem like they are tanking with Torts but they are also not shy trading away players they don t need right now like Hayes, Walker…)

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
- Glass (NSH close to the cap, at 2.5m he is not worth his salary for a team in win now mode, very long shot though hoping he ll finally live up to draft expectations)
- Kakko (NYR still has Lindgren Schneider to sign and only 8m cap space, Kakko has been disappointing until now so it would be a food reclamation project. Also NYR has no 2nd the next three years, no 3rd this year they likely would enjoy picks)
- Kaliev (LAK still has to sign Byfield, Spence and Kalieyev has been underwhelming)
- Necas (CAR will focus on Jarvis and Drury in my opinion, which should lower Necas value as time goes. I would not even be surprised if Jarvis already has signed 8x7 but they keep it hidden so that they don t show their lack of cap space for Necas)

Longer shots :
- Mercer (NJD the longest shot, NJD has 5m cap space but also Hughes getting paid next year. Their top 6 already takes 40m cap space, so let s see what can of contract they can / want him to sign to)
- Dorofeyev (in a 3 way trade if VGK thinks they can have a better player for an additional 1.4m cap)
- Farabee (PHI depending on their plan. Does not seem like they are tanking with Torts but they are also not shy trading away players they don t need right now like Hayes, Walker…)

Interesting list.

EDM : To pry away Holloway, Ceci (3.25M / 1 year) would likely have to be included as a cap dump?

NSH : No usual suspect for a cap dump, but sending away a cheap D and a cheap forward in return for Glass could do the trick?

NYR : They likely have enough room to sign their D if they resort to bridge contracts?

LAK : If they sign Byfield long term, Kaliev seems like a likely cap casualty; a cheap forward and moderate draft capital should do the trick?

CAR : If they Jarvis long term, Necas can indeed be a good target; the price would be steep (CGY 1st + A prospect) but it’s the surest bet so far.

The long shots however seem too long to seriously enquire about.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Longer shots :

Kakko and Holloway seem like KH targets... Both would be worth a gamble at seeing if they can step in and secure a middle 6 spot.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Longer shots :
Most of them I wouldn't bother with. Why you want Glass? I just stay with current roster.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Longer shots :
I like Glass I don’t believe he will ever live up to is draft hype but cup team are filled with 1st rounder playing support role with is size and skills I could see him being a effective 3rd line fw. I think he be one of the cheapest to pry away /sign and he is entering his prime. Kakko / Holloway could be the similar situation but I’m less optimists.
Kaliev not sure he good enough to be a impact top 6 and not sure he is super useful as a bottom 6…

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So we are apparently still in on Zegras, which if true tells us Hughes must think the guy is okay character wise.

If we were to get Zegras our top 6 in a ⁷ß couple years would be composed of Caufield, Suzuki , Slaf, Dach , Zegras and Demidov. Third line maybe Newhook, Beck and Xhekaj. Fourth I dunno.

What do you think of that top 6. My guess is Guhle or A. Xheraj plus would be going the other way. Again, I love Xheraj and so him being traded isn't something I'm good with, but ise Zegras that good ? Will Zegras show up postseason ?

Reactions: Garry Valk

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Interesting list.

EDM : To pry away Holloway, Ceci (3.25M / 1 year) would likely have to be included as a cap dump?

NSH : No usual suspect for a cap dump, but sending away a cheap D and a cheap forward in return for Glass could do the trick?

NYR : They likely have enough room to sign their D if they resort to bridge contracts?

LAK : If they sign Byfield long term, Kaliev seems like a likely cap casualty; a cheap forward and moderate draft capital should do the trick?

CAR : If they Jarvis long term, Necas can indeed be a good target; the price would be steep (CGY 1st + A prospect) but it’s the surest bet so far.

The long shots however seem too long to seriously enquire about.

I don t think Ceci should be a condition to dropping Holloway, from what I understand they played him on the bottom pair and are fine with him.

NSH has added a lot cap via FA and are close to the ceiling. Hence saving 1m on a bottom 6F could make sense for them

NYR has enough room but moving Kakko could open the possibility for a more useful veteran in win now mode

Regardless of Byfield I don t think they have a room for Kaliyev right now or that they are fully convinced in him.

Looking at Necas, you likely should look at Dubois comparable : 2nd + Kupari + Iafallo + Vilardi. Habs don t have a Iafallo equivalent but I d say an equivalent offer would be 2nd + Kidney + Harris + Mailloux (depending on how high people are on Mailloux) ?

For the long shots, I am not sure Mercer is as untouchable as some think. He did not have a great season last year and NJD has already dropped Holtz who was drafted the same year as him signalling they are in win now mode.

Most of them I wouldn't bother with. Why you want Glass? I just stay with current roster.
Buy low draft pedigree, in a rebuild mode you have the opportunity to take those chances

Buy low draft pedigree, in a rebuild mode you have the opportunity to take those chances

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
We likely past that stage. I think we dump 4 or 5 vets at deadline for a bunch of picks. Use those picks to trade up Florida pick. Draft twice in top 15. Or trade one for McGroarty.

See bunch of rookies late in year. Mailloux, Reinbacher, Heinemann, etc ..

Reactions: themilosh

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
So we are apparently still in on Zegras, which if true tells us Hughes must think the guy is okay character wise.

If we were to get Zegras our top 6 in a ⁷ß couple years would be composed of Caufield, Suzuki , Slaf, Dach , Zegras and Demidov. Third line maybe Newhook, Beck and Xhekaj. Fourth I dunno.

What do you think of that top 6. My guess is Guhle or A. Xheraj plus would be going the other way. Again, I love Xheraj and so him being traded isn't something I'm good with, but ise Zegras that good ? Will Zegras show up postseason ?
Where’s the Zegras news from? Would love to see his talent on our roster.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad