HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
None of these Dmen had 60pts last year, though i'm not quite sure who TDA is.
Okay sorry it's true that 56 is not the arbitrary 60 points we've chose, right! Intellectual dishonesty is ruining this world and you love it, dont you?

I know you don't like Matheson but he is a much better player than Ghost and DeAngelo. He's not untouchable for me but I'm not so keen to throw him away for an unproven prospect like many are.
He's only a better player because of the kind of exposure he gets. Eat it up.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I worry we'll make the same mistake with Matheson as we made with Petry and not trade him when his value is at its highest. By the time we're ready to compete, he'll be up for a new contract, and it will not make sense to sign him to one at that point.

I get we need vets, but I'd rather just keep Savard and maybe get another RHD with experience than to keep Matheson around considering the roadblock at LD.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Okay sorry it's true that 56 is not the arbitrary 60 points we've chose, right! Intellectual dishonesty is ruining this world and you love it, dont you?
That's pretty rich considering you were trying to illustrate, about as well as you can, how there's “a bunch of 60pt dmen like Matheson” and when it was accurately pointed out to you, that there just aren't, you want to double down on your initial hyperbolic statement.

Don't need to get all testy cause you got played at your own game.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game
1720112353809.gif

JT3

May 27, 2013
He's only a better player because of the kind of exposure he gets. Eat it up.
Yeah that's just blatantly not true, no team, even rebuilding one's like ourselves, has ever given Ghost or TDA anywhere close to the amount of D Zone starts or PK time as Matheson has had in his career. He may be good for a bonehead move every game or two, but I don't believe he's the sieve some make him out to be. Retrievals and zone exits are a part of playing defense too and Matheson is excellent at it.

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know you don't like Matheson but he is a much better player than Ghost and DeAngelo. He's not untouchable for me but I'm not so keen to throw him away for an unproven prospect like many are.

Agreed. Matheson has improved with MSL mentorship and his defensive flaws are being nit picked by a ridiculous level. Way too much exaggeration going on in the player devalue narrative.

100% agree. He's much better than Ghost and DeAngelo. He belongs in the conversation with Sergachev, Bouchard, Rielly, Carlson, Karlsson, Chabot, etc. None of those D are strong in their own end at shutdown ability and you can nit pick them the exact same way... if you look for it like some are with Matheson. Works in the opposite angle to Hutson... Fans drooling over his offense but don't realize his turnovers/60 were brutal in those 2 NHL games.

This is the age 30 version of Matheson. Not the age 26 version. Those two years left at age 30 and 31 on a value contract is enormous value in this salary cap for someone who is a late bloomer.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Agreed. Matheson has improved with MSL mentorship and his defensive flaws are being nit picked by a ridiculous level. Way too much exaggeration going on in the player devalue narrative.

100% agree. He's much better than Ghost and DeAngelo. He belongs in the conversation with Sergachev, Bouchard, Rielly, Carlson, Karlsson, Chabot, etc. None of those D are strong in their own end at shutdown ability and you can nit pick them the exact same way... if you look for it like some are with Matheson. Works in the opposite angle to Hutson... Fans drooling over his offense but don't realize his turnovers/60 were brutal in those 2 NHL games.

This is the age 30 version of Matheson. Not the age 26 version. Those two years left at age 30 and 31 on a value contract is enormous value in this salary cap for someone who is a late bloomer.
Bouchard does not belong in that list lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bouchard does not belong in that list lol

Yes he does. Ekholm has helped him tremendously. Night/Day difference.

Go look up Bouchard's turnovers/60. This is not a popularity contest. There are many guys that put up offensive numbers like Matheson but have flaws on the D end.

The only difference between Bouchard and Matheson is age. Bouchard has time to improve so he has more value. This is the trap you and so many others are getting into. If we are talking 4+ years of value, Matheson doesn't have good value. If we are talking 2 years of value, Matheson belongs in the conversation.

Reactions: 417

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Welp, I’m going to take a break from Hockey this summer!

No hockey anything!

The last thing I will say is that when I do come back in September, I think McGroarty is a hab!

Cheers mates!

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Yes they are for D men. Go look up the list and then browse the players that have bad turnovers/60. It checks out. ;)

Matheson's D flaws are being pumped to a ridiculous level and others are getting a break from the nit pick approach. :nod:
Guys who have the puck on their stick a lot tend to have more giveaways. It's why Bouchard had the same amount of giveaways as Doughty did in 2014. Would you consider that to be an accurate representation of prime Drew Doughty's defensive ability?

Reactions: Vachon23

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't think Laine gets traded until he gets out of the assistance program. Teams can't talk to him while he's in the program, and if you're going to acquire Laine, you want to make sure he's going to want to play for your team.
Maybe the Habs psychologist can send Laine a txt asking him what type of animal he is?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Guys who have the puck on their stick a lot tend to have more giveaways. It's why Bouchard had the same amount of giveaways as Doughty did in 2014. Would you consider that to be an accurate representation of prime Drew Doughty's defensive ability?

Well, how are you not giving a break to Matheson under the same narrative? Matheson has the puck on his stick a lot too!

How about you give me your intangibles on why someone like Bouchard and Sergachev are better in their own end vs Matheson? Younger with potential to mature more yes but today and in the next two seasons? Matheson belongs in this mix. He's earned it.

60+ point D on a sub 5M contract has little value??

lol
This place, sometimes.

It's very strange how some Habs fans thrown their own under the bus. Did the same thing with Danault and Lehkonen and many others. Matheson has earned his way up the points ladder and he's one of those late bloomers.

His next two years are insane value in this salary cap. Some fans got to wake up

Reactions: Ozmodiar and 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Still have some good friends there, Jenner per example. A problem for a problem kinda trade, with and add on our side. Imagine Armia's magic attitude working on Laine ... man he would kill it with Dach and Demidov.

Would be ideal. I don't like jumping on Anderson's back in devalue but he had a horrible season and his style doesn't fit our system. Also not consistent.

If not Anderson, it's probably Dvorak or Armia. The problem with trying to include Anderson is he has 3 years in terms left and Laine has 2. Jackets will ask for a lot to take on Anderson's extra year over Laine. Better approach is Dvorak or Armia who both have 1 year left.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Would be ideal. I don't like jumping on Anderson's back in devalue but he had a horrible season and his style doesn't fit our system. Also not consistent.

If not Anderson, it's probably Dvorak or Armia. The problem with trying to include Anderson is he has 3 years in terms left and Laine has 2. Jackets will ask for a lot to take on Anderson's extra year over Laine. Better approach is Dvorak or Armia who both have 1 year left.
If no retention is involved, the difference in salaries will offset the extra year. If Columbus retains to equalize the salaries, that is a different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad