HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Wouldn't call him a superstar but Cammalleri was a PPG 40 goal scorer when we signed him. Jagr came to us wanting to sign but MB said no and Jagr went on to have several 65+ seasons.

Just because Bergevin was incompetent at his job doesn't mean Montreal is inherently incapable of signing star players. We'll never be LA, Florida, or NYR level of attractiveness where every UFA wants to sign, but that doesn't mean we are in the Buffalo/Winnipeg tier either.
Yeah I agree, I don't really buy this idea that we'll never be able to get UFAs. It seems weird to draw conclusions about which teams can attract elite talent when it so rarely happens in UFA as well. In the cap era the list is basically Chara, Hossa, Tavares, Panarin, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, Gaudreau, and Niedermayer. LA didn't get any of those guys either, and it's not like Gaudreau proves Columbus is a hot destination for UFAs now.

Cammalleri, Gionta, Hamrlik, Cole, Kovalev, and Radulov all signed here, and even Alzner which I hated from day 1 was still the "top" UFA D on the board that year by reputation. That's not a bad list really. We did pretty well with depth types like Prust, Moen, Spacek, Gill, etc. as well.

I think we are hoarders of vet what ifs. Gallagher is on a good trend, nope not trading him anymore, he's back. Armia is his old self again, let's keep him until TDL, maybe we will get a high pick back
Meh. Armia maybe could move but usually those kinds of players are only really worth a 4th/5th in the offseason because every team has their own Joshua Roy they'd rather try out on their 3rd line before bringing in a vet. At the deadline he might possibly be worth a 2nd/3rd. Don't really care much either way but hanging on to Armia until the deadline as a pending UFA is fine, if he ends up not being worth anything we're probably only losing a 4th/5th compared to trading him today.

Gallagher we're not "holding", he's virtually untradeable. It is what it is, Gallagher is not going anywhere unless he ends up on LTIR. He struggled a lot to start the year but was better in the 2nd half, balances out as an OK third liner. We're just going to have to eat it until LTIR or potentially paying to dump him with 1 or 2 years remaining (or a buyout in summer 2025/26).

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Amen brother. Sit both "vets" in the stands and let's see them be actual good vets. Gallagher is spending time in Acapulco instead of training, you can't be this gassed after 2p seconds and be an elite athlete. Anderson is just collecting pay checks. Sit them in the press box.

Dvorak's challenge is health. I think he is fine when he is healthy and in a 3rd line role.

Gallagher does appear to not be training as hard. I spoke towards that about 2 years ago. He never was a good skater so yeah, the 30+ contract was always a risk. Got to swallow the pill and use him as a leader and to mentor youth.

Anderson does deserve Armia treatment. Not consistent and followed it up with a horrible season last year. He knows it too.

Armia got the message. Better show up this year.

Chances all 4 are with us in September? Not sure but I do believe one of them is gone.

Reactions: BLONG7

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Gallagher has gotten every single opportunity in the world to try and produce for the last handful of years. PP minutes, quality teammates, extra attacker mins, top 6 mins etc... you name it and he could barely produce.

His stats (abominable as it is) are inflated due to his preferential treatment. He's slow and can't keep up with plays, his offensive decision making is none existant, team worst +/-. He takes dumb penalties over and over without any repurcussions.

I'm not sure if he deserves to be in the lineup. All I see is someone who's hanging on due to favoritism by our coaching staff.

Fine, send him home. He either plays in AHL or he can stay home.

Montreal doesn't/didn't have the depth to have people outside the PP1 consistently produce. Gallagher produced points 5v5 at a similar rate to Suzuki and was 3rd in 5v5 G/60 to Newhook and Armia. You can complain about his penalties, but he draws almost as many as he takes.

Gallagher was not really sheltered in terms of competition and he mostly played with Evans, Anderson and Armia.

He's overpaid and not what he once was, but he definitely deserves to be in the line-up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean I don't blame you. 87 in Montreal? I mean common

Draisaitl would be so glorious too

Drai's next contract is 30+.

7x $??? (age 30-36).

Of course you sign him if he wants to play for the Habs but curious to see how he looks without McDavid. Drai has 37% of his points and over half his goals on the PP. Over the last 3 seasons, those % are higher on the PP.

What is Drai on this Habs roster from age 30-36? I would not bet he is a 100+ pts guy without McDavid. Still going to be in the 80+ range though... at least from 30-34. But you are going to have to pay him like he is and will remain a 100+ pts guy without McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Didn't they also offer Anderson the same mental-performance coach that helped Armia and he turned it down, saying he didn't need it?

Not sure. What I do know is Armia was put on waivers and sent to Laval. It was a kick in the ass and he responded. His 2nd half was very solid and what you expect from him.

Anderson is too complacent. Also doesn't fit our offensive structure with MSL. I'm a Anderson fan but when he shows up. Last season was just brutal. He has an identity problem so yeah, maybe he does need some mental-performance coach. His game is north/south combined with hits and skating/shots. He has to comprehend his role better

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Drai's next contract is 30+.

7x $??? (age 30-36).

Of course you sign him if he wants to play for the Habs but curious to see how he looks without McDavid. Drai has 37% of his points and over half his goals on the PP. Over the last 3 seasons, those % are higher on the PP.

What is Drai on this Habs roster from age 30-36? I would not bet he is a 100+ pts guy without McDavid. Still going to be in the 80+ range though... at least from 30-34. But you are going to have to pay him like he is and will remain a 100+ pts guy without McDavid.
Drai on a line with Slaf and Demidov would definitely be a 100+ points guy, he is insane

I’d pay him whatever he wants

Reactions: Rozz

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
1) Agreed. It's probably a good strategy to let others play the desperation game and we sit back and take advantage of circumstance later. Patience usually pays off. The dynamics of the NHL on who might become available is not predictable.

2) Imagine. Both Crosby and Drai. Nice to think about but doubt Drai leaves Edmonton for Montreal. Probably goes somewhere warm. Crosby might be possible but I think he goes to the Avs if he leaves the Pens.
I think both are a pipe dream but I would say there is a better chance at Crosby. Even though you are probably right, my guess he would sign for cheap for a monster team ready to win it all.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I would be really surprised if Kent Hughes doesn’t add a top-6 forward by the start of the 2024-25 season.

That didn’t happen in free agency because he wasn’t willing to sign a long-term contract, which I think is a smart move.

However, he [Kent Hughes] has a lot of interesting assets, a lot of young defensemen, a lot of draft picks coming up, so I would be surprised if he doesn’t make a trade for a top-6 forward with maybe 2 or 3 years left on his contract.

Like he said, this young group has worked really hard and they deserve a legitimate chance to make the playoffs next year. I don’t think he’s done shopping.” - Stu Cowan

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah I agree, I don't really buy this idea that we'll never be able to get UFAs. It seems weird to draw conclusions about which teams can attract elite talent when it so rarely happens in UFA as well. In the cap era the list is basically Chara, Hossa, Tavares, Panarin, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, Gaudreau, and Niedermayer. LA didn't get any of those guys either, and it's not like Gaudreau proves Columbus is a hot destination for UFAs now.

Cammalleri, Gionta, Hamrlik, Cole, Kovalev, and Radulov all signed here, and even Alzner which I hated from day 1 was still the "top" UFA D on the board that year by reputation. That's not a bad list really. We did pretty well with depth types like Prust, Moen, Spacek, Gill, etc. as well.

Meh. Armia maybe could move but usually those kinds of players are only really worth a 4th/5th in the offseason because every team has their own Joshua Roy they'd rather try out on their 3rd line before bringing in a vet. At the deadline he might possibly be worth a 2nd/3rd. Don't really care much either way but hanging on to Armia until the deadline as a pending UFA is fine, if he ends up not being worth anything we're probably only losing a 4th/5th compared to trading him today.

Gallagher we're not "holding", he's virtually untradeable. It is what it is, Gallagher is not going anywhere unless he ends up on LTIR. He struggled a lot to start the year but was better in the 2nd half, balances out as an OK third liner. We're just going to have to eat it until LTIR or potentially paying to dump him with 1 or 2 years remaining (or a buyout in summer 2025/26).

That Montreal doesn't attract FA is a complete myth. If anything the Canadiens have been overly reliant on it in the 21st century because they struggled immensely with prospect development.

I would be really surprised if Kent Hughes doesn’t add a top-6 forward by the start of the 2024-25 season.

That didn’t happen in free agency because he wasn’t willing to sign a long-term contract, which I think is a smart move.

However, he [Kent Hughes] has a lot of interesting assets, a lot of young defensemen, a lot of draft picks coming up, so I would be surprised if he doesn’t make a trade for a top-6 forward with maybe 2 or 3 years left on his contract.

Like he said, this young group has worked really hard and they deserve a legitimate chance to make the playoffs next year. I don’t think he’s done shopping.” - Stu Cowan

I hope this is true and I fully agree with Stu Cowan. Posters can keep saying 'Oh they're millionaires, who cares' or 'Oh, they understand' but the truth is that if you're one of young vets who has been around for multiple seasons, going into the year with the exact same roster is a bit of a slap in the face after working hard under MSL. Basu's confirmed multiple times that the Canadiens brass is keeping this in mind.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Unloading one of Anderson or Gallagher would be nice. Both have 3 years in term left. Dvorak, Armia, Savard are all gone after one year. Then you wonder, who are the vets mentoring the youth after this season? It's likely Gallagher so yeah, he's probably staying.
Next year, Suzuki will be starting his D+9.

Dach will be starting his D+7, all in the NHL.

Matheson will probably be there too.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
What about something around Anderson for Burakovsky?
Anderson needs a change of scenery, and Burakovsky is coming off an injury plagued season and has fallen out of favour a bit in Seattle.
Cap hit and term are even. We could probably add a mid round pick, i.e. one of our 3rd rounders

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Oilers are over the cap by $2.5M and have Broberg and Holloway to sign. Montreal can offer Kane a top six roll . Two years at $5.125M. Hughes make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad