Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It isn't seen as one because the admins keep ignoring us on this issue. They know better about how Rangers fans should feel.
Some of us appreciate you fighting the good fight on this one, man. I threatened to quit over this. :laugh: At the time, none of the other mods or admins backed me up, even those that I was close with. Some claimed they didn't know it was derogatory and others just didn't care. Frustrating.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
It isn't seen as one because the admins keep ignoring us on this issue. They know better about how Rangers fans should feel.
Ultimately this is just an internet forum, and the way strangers refer to a 100-year-old business that doesn't know I exist doesn't matter outside of here, but it will always rub me the wrong way.

Reactions: AirGut

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Some of us appreciate you fighting the good fight on this one, man. I threatened to quit over this. :laugh: At the time, none of the other mods or admins backed me up, even those that I was close with. Some claimed they didn't know it was derogatory and others just didn't care. Frustrating.
It's a tough thing to sell because it's a unique issue. We're the only team, as far as I know, that has a slur associated with them, at least in this sport. It's hard to explain why it's not just the same as "these assholes" or "your team sucks."

But like, at the same time, we've been f***ing saying it long enough.

And Snowblind has a point -- it's way more the case now that it's just a thing rather than something insidious, but that's even more of a problem now.

If you use that term insidiously, I already don't like you and won't pay you much mind, but now it has to come up in like regular conversations.

I don't know what it is that bothers me so much, but I know I'm not alone. Most Rangers fans I know f***ing hate that word. I won't even say it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't care what the intention is when it's used. It was created with bad intention. It's an anti-Rangers slur that's not used by Rangers fans.

You can't compare that to what Rangers fans call the team. It's their own team.

Likewise, you don't have to like what other Rangers fans call the team, and feel free to state your case.

You still can't compare that to the other word. I won't even use it. It is effectively banned on the Rangers board and we've lobbied many times to have it banned on the site.

Every mod that I've ever known on here has taken this stance.

Fine, then why is it all right to call the Rangers Rongos? I know I shit on the team and players enough but the Rangers have been good for years and people make it sound like they're the Sabres calling them Rongos.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fine, then why is it all right to call the Rangers Rongos? I know I shit on the team and players enough but the Rangers have been good for years and people make it sound like they're the Sabres calling them Rongos.
My understanding of the term is that it refers to them playing badly. There's the Rangers, and then there's the Rongos. The Rongos are the bad one. Every team Rongo's sometimes and has their version of that.

Some people don't like it but I think it's more silly than offensive, and I'm way more receptive to terms that come from the team's own fans.

It's also not really used outside of the regulars on HF who were around during a specific time, whereas the other word is used by regular people in "real life."

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is not me defending the word this time but it would be a nightmare enforcing one word for one specific fanbase that most people don't know is derogatory. There would be a lot of unfairness because this a very obscure thing where you'd be getting infractions that would be for something people wouldn't realize is even a problem. I was very annoyed when I got a warning and threadbanned for saying that I read somewhere as a joke that the Utah hockey team are called the Latter Day Skates. This would be that times a million. Honestly, this isn't the N word or the F word (other F word). Most people just won't know. Enforcing it would be a headache for the mods and borderline unfair for the posters. And we'll be getting new posters who won't know the rules and won't know that rags is derogatory. And it will continue in perpetuity. Best case scenario you can have a censor like they do here that changes rags to "pejorative slur".

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My understanding of the term is that it refers to them playing badly. There's the Rangers, and then there's the Rongos. The Rongos are the bad one. Every team Rongo's sometimes and has their version of that.

Some people don't like it but I think it's more silly than offensive, and I'm way more receptive to terms that come from the team's own fans.

It's also not really used outside of the regulars on HF who were around during a specific time, whereas the other word is used by regular people in "real life."

This is the only argument that I understand.

That said I hate it as someone who has been quirky my entire life (not just on HF, lol) and have had condescending remarks made against me often even by some of my best friends. It's really no different from when you get on people for questioning Mika's manhood or calling the players beta. Rongos may not have as much to do with manhood and maybe you don't like some political conotations of the word beta but I see very little difference. To me "Rongos" is hey look at these pathetic incompetent boobs said somewhat playfully rather than in a mean way. But that's what makes it condescending rather than aggressive.

And no they're not "Rongos", they're a team that has had 107 points + for three straight seasons and made the ECF two of three seasons. And before that had a similar stretch in 2012-2015. They haven't won the cup, but Rongos makes them sound like the friggin Sabres.

And yes I get on the team say awful things. But that's an emotional response to bad games or stretches. "Rongos" is usually not used in that context. It's usually people having a laugh at the expense of the team.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is the only argument that I understand.

That said I hate it as someone who has been quirky my entire life (not just on HF, lol) and have had condescending remarks made against me often even by some of my best friends. It's really no different from when you get on people for questioning Mika's manhood or calling the players beta. Rongos may not have as much to do with manhood and maybe you don't like some political conotations of the word beta but I see very little difference. To me "Rongos" is hey look at these pathetic incompetent boobs said somewhat playfully rather than in a mean way. But that's what makes it condescending rather than aggressive.

And no they're not "Rongos", they're a team that has had 107 points + for three straight seasons and made the ECF two of three seasons. And before that had a similar stretch in 2012-2015. They haven't won the cup, but Rongos makes them sound like the friggin Sabres.

And yes I get on the team say awful things. But that's an emotional response to bad games or stretches. "Rongos" is usually not used in that context. It's usually people having a laugh at the expense of the team.
I feel like the Mika stuff is personal on, like, a weird level. It's way beyond "this guy stinks."

Personally, I will absolutely have a laugh at this team's expense. We've gone over the reasons, despite them winning regular season games, ad nauseam.

Pretty much everyone does that. You don't have to like how they go about it, but it is essentially a hockey-based criticism. It's not something I'm going to tell people they can't do.

I'm open to rooting it out. Situations evolve and maybe it becomes toxic. As of now, it's not something that has bothered most of the board.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I do worry about locker room toxicity after whats transpired. And I dont mean that I worry about Trouba. I think he'll be a professional and be fine. Are other players already showing some signs of not giving their all? Become more and more disillusioned with the franchise? That I worry about...because some of them we are on the hook for long term.
It’s a valid worry… naturally you’re going to have vets that didn’t like the way Goodrow was sent out. You also have this ongoing saga with the captain of the team that’s front and center.
I’m sure the brass also didn’t like the way Panarin played in the playoffs when the games got more physical either. In the FLA series he looked like the biggest puss on the ice when it came to contact/holding on to the puck to make a play.
I know he’s Uber talented, but that’s another deal with a NMC Drury would likely want to get out of early tbh.
Remember all the rumors swirling around last season…..
I’m mean, Zibby is the only 1 that nothing can be done with here for a while…..
I’m sure it’s not all sunshine and rainbows for the other vets who don’t have his term/money locked up….
This year is basically another kick at the can with mostly the same unit.
The transition of moving vets out likely comes the following season and 1 after that because of these clauses.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I recall NHL.com headlines always had "from Rags to Riches" following a win. So it must have came from somewhere.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
our board is falling apart people attacking each other due to Trouba exercising his contractual rights. this is gonna be a long summer.

Blowing a 2 games to none lead on Tampa and the Devils the previous two years.

I see and I raise you this offseason.

chips-poker-chips.gif

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I feel like the Mika stuff is personal on, like, a weird level. It's way beyond "this guy stinks."

Personally, I will absolutely have a laugh at this team's expense. We've gone over the reasons, despite them winning regular season games, ad nauseam.

Pretty much everyone does that. You don't have to like how they go about it, but it is essentially a hockey-based criticism. It's not something I'm going to tell people they can't do.

I'm open to rooting it out. Situations evolve and maybe it becomes toxic. As of now, it's not something that has bothered most of the board.
the hypocrisy of calling out toxicity re: zibanejad discourse while shitting on kakko out of the other side of your mouth constantly is wild to me.

• Wow
Reactions: Kravtsov420

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Why is it whenever the Rangers add grit, it’s always a 4th line player? Do the Rangers like soft forwards in their top 9. Outside of Trocheck, Lafy and sometimes Kreider, why do the Rangers prefer their skilled players to be soft? Rangers can never get a Tkachuk, Marchand, Jamie Benn type

They drafted Othmann, just traded for Riley Smith, that's a decent start. I mean Smith isn't a Tkachuk but he's strong enough he won't get pushed around.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Why do people care about 2 million dead cap in 2 years. Trouba is 8 million dead cap right now
For me, it's the same reason I care about 2nd round draft picks. Cap space has a tangible value. One one hand, we can buy him out and displace the cap over 4 years. I see the value. But if we can trade him, that's even better. We don't know what the actual situation is right now but until more info comes out, I'm hoping we can turn Trouba for assets. If Trouba doesn't report, can we null the trade and terminate his contract? That way we don't even have to pay the buy-out and Cap space. That seems like a win-win to me.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
They drafted Othmann, just traded for Riley Smith, that's a decent start. I mean Smith isn't a Tkachuk but he's strong enough he won't get pushed around.

Smtih is not soft but, Smith had 1 fight in his NHL career. He is more physical than what the Rangers have having lately but, hes not really aggressive or chippy in my opinion. BUT he does well in the playoffs. Rangers should target players that bring it during the playoffs or have a history of doing so from bad teams. Wennberg and Roslovic did not do much and was never considered playoff players, you could have played Othmann and Edstrom in those spots with either having the same results or better results.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I mean really, aren't you just arguing pro-Rongos here. One of the reasons it fits, is the f***ing immature and dopey way this org went about most of its business these past seasons, and it's getting called out accordingly.

Where was this argument the past decade? Nobody gave a f***, now couple of folks get in a hissy-fit for no reason. Too much time on hand I guess.
No, I’m not arguing that. That statement is dopey too. It’s a stupid, dopey, and demeaning name often used by people with worse ideas than the front office. Every day, I read 20 horrible takes on here, then see those same people calling the team who just went to the ECF the “Rongos.”

I’m not debating this. I think it’s a stupid name. Again, if people want to use it then be stupid. I only responded because folks were giving their opinions. To each his own.

Referring to a team who just went to the ECF like they are the Sabres or Yotes who’ve been irrelevant for a decade just shows people are out of touch (most likely, young and immature or spoiled) - and haven’t actually watched a team be absolutely brutal and irrelevant for a decade which I’ve had the displeasure of doing.

We all criticize the hell out of them which is one reason we are here, but we also have to realize they’ve had a pretty damn good 20 year run of hockey from Jagr on. We aren’t a paper bag over our heads team which the name ‘Rongos’ implies.

Last edited:

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
For me, it's the same reason I care about 2nd round draft picks. Cap space has a tangible value. One one hand, we can buy him out and displace the cap over 4 years. I see the value. But if we can trade him, that's even better. We don't know what the actual situation is right now but until more info comes out, I'm hoping we can turn Trouba for assets. If Trouba doesn't report, can we null the trade and terminate his contract? That way we don't even have to pay the buy-out and Cap space. That seems like a win-win to me.
Of course trading him is better but buying him out is still extremely valuable. He’s basically 8 million of dead salary cap for the next two years in cup or bust seasons. Even with just the scraps of FA left, a buyout still gives you 4 million for 1-2 players who can actually help the team

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad