HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the team goes on a spending spree next summer like many think they should (Crosby etc), the buyout talk could become very relevant. But yeah, obviously not today.

Ottawa is looking for a cheap 3rd pairing defenseman. Harris could be a good fit there.

Depends on who they add and how many. If we are adding Crosby only, we have room and don't have to buy anyone out. Dvorak, Savard, Armia expire. That's $11.35M alone right there and we are walking into this season with $16-$19M in cap space already. Possible buyout with either Anderson or Gallagher likely comes for the 26/27 season IMO. Unless, we have plans to add Crosby and someone else.

Adding Crosby would be interesting. Do we go with 3 centers or move Dach or Crosby to wing?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Well said. If Demidov hits then we've arguably already built a very strong top-9 but there's still a bunch of unknowns which only get answered with more NHL games.

And it's the same with the D, we've got a very strong group of young guys/prospects. Right now it's basically impossible to say whether we will need more puck movement, more defensively responsible guys, more size/physicality, etc... We have elements for all of it, but the guys are too inexperienced at the NHL level for us to accurately judge what will become the primary need.
Roy, Hutson, and Reinbacher will feature this year. And like I mentioned, I feel another addition is coming to the top6.

Yeah I don’t think we had any room to sign random 29-31 year old FAs for no discernible need.

I’m optimistic one day we will have a competitive team that will strike like a viper to pick up a stud free agent to complete the core. This is not the summer for that.

My thinking changed when I saw the massive drop in the performances of Gallagher, Dvorak, Armia, and Anderson. You can’t do anything with so much dead weight. It caused me to change gears… and now I’m better aligned with what Hughes is cooking I feel a lot more at ease.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
If the team goes on a spending spree next summer like many think they should (Crosby etc), the buyout talk could become very relevant. But yeah, obviously not today.

Ottawa is looking for a cheap 3rd pairing defenseman. Harris could be a good fit there.
Plenty of teams are tight to the cap and will need a cheap dman.

My guess is at least 2 of the surplus LD will be gone by October.....

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Well said. If Demidov hits then we've arguably already built a very strong top-9 but there's still a bunch of unknowns which only get answered with more NHL games.

And it's the same with the D, we've got a very strong group of young guys/prospects. Right now it's basically impossible to say whether we will need more puck movement, more defensively responsible guys, more size/physicality, etc... We have elements for all of it, but the guys are too inexperienced at the NHL level for us to accurately judge what will become the primary need.
Agree with both of you. I think they traded Kovy because they want to give the last big chance to Barron and believe that one of Mailloux/Reinbacher will be ready once we trade Savard.
I still believe there will be one acquisition to our top 6- McGroarty, Laine or even sign Tarasenko for 2years big AAV. In year one he will help our top 6 and in year 2 he can mentor Demidov and then be traded at TDL with retention.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
If Winnipeg is desperate for a C they may take Dvorak
Is Dvorak cleared off LTIR?

We lack C depth, I wouldn’t sell him for nothing but I would definitely be happy to see him go… maybe if we keep him he will play well (contract year) and can be sold for something somewhat valuable (2nd round pick?).

Otherwise he could potentially be a makeweight in any trade for Laine or Zegras or Necas. Good size, defensively reliable centremen are never worthless.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Winnipeg is desperate for a C they may take Dvorak

Dvorak could be moved but we can't just do it for the sake of it. I'd consider one of Beck or Kapanen for McGroarty. I seen Beck and Barron offers out there. Not sure if I would do that but worth considering if our scouts feel McGroarty is a top 6F. They also have B Lambert who is more NHL ready than Beck.

Suzuki, Dach, Dvorak, Evans. Newhook as the play making winger and center insurance if someone gets hurt. If you trade Dvorak, You are forced to play Newhook at center and then Beck becomes insurance. Rather not bounce Beck around like that in his 1st pro season. Not ideal.

Dvorak and Savard are team needs. Armia, Gallagher, Anderson are not. One can say Armia is a need if he plays like he did in the 2nd half of last season.

Then we are left with Gallagher and Anderson who have 3 years in terms left. Don't need the cap space yet and they certainly can help provide leadership after Savard is gone after this season.

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
I think we have PTSD from our numerous injuries at C last year. If we have an offer without retention nor sweetener for Dvo, I'd pull the trigger.

Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Evans, ABB can play C. For the first time we have legit C prospects that would benefit from a few games in the NHL before going back down: Beck (5-10), Mesar (1-4), even Simonneau or Davidson later on if need be.

Heck we could even sign Dauphin or call up Gignac or Condotta for a few games if we are in a bad spot. 4th line duties, 10 minutes a game.

How many times did we say we will get an asset at TDL and that would not happen. I think Dvo is closer to a failing asset like Hoffman or Dadonov than he is to a rising one like Monahan.

Reactions: Kosseca

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
How many times did we say we will get an asset at TDL and that would not happen. I think Dvo is closer to a failing asset like Hoffman or Dadonov than he is to a rising one like Monahan.
In the last 3 seasons, Dvorak played 30, 64, 56 games instead of 82. He's made of glass and I wouldn't even count on him this season as a center.

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
Urth
Is Dvorak cleared off LTIR?

We lack C depth, I wouldn’t sell him for nothing but I would definitely be happy to see him go… maybe if we keep him he will play well (contract year) and can be sold for something somewhat valuable (2nd round pick?).

Otherwise he could potentially be a makeweight in any trade for Laine or Zegras or Necas. Good size, defensively reliable centremen are never worthless.

Why would he be cleared off LTIR? He came back in April from his torn pectoral injury.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Dvorak could be moved but we can't just do it for the sake of it. I'd consider one of Beck or Kapanen for McGroarty. I seen Beck and Barron offers out there. Not sure if I would do that but worth considering if our scouts feel McGroarty is a top 6F. They also have B Lambert who is more NHL ready than Beck.

Suzuki, Dach, Dvorak, Evans. Newhook as the play making winger and center insurance if someone gets hurt. If you trade Dvorak, You are forced to play Newhook at center and then Beck becomes insurance. Rather not bounce Beck around like that in his 1st pro season. Not ideal.

Dvorak and Savard are team needs. Armia, Gallagher, Anderson are not. One can say Armia is a need if he plays like he did in the 2nd half of last season.

Then we are left with Gallagher and Anderson who have 3 years in terms left. Don't need the cap space yet and they certainly can help provide leadership after Savard is gone after this season.
Përhaps Anderson csan be moved in a Laine trade. Gallagher csn stay for a while if he keeps scoring 15ish.

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
I think we are hoarders of vet what ifs. Gallagher is on a good trend, nope not trading him anymore, he's back. Armia is his old self again, let's keep him until TDL, maybe we will get a high pick back.

No, to me if you have a chance at getting rid of 2/3 of these overpaid vets without hurting yourself with the return, you do it. Especially wingers or always hurt ones like Dvorak.

Build around our core, keep a few vets you cannot trade yet to surround it, grow from within and next year sign real talent on the UFA market or package picks/non-game breaking prospects to acquire better ones.

And with our last retention spot do trade Savard, a high demand rarely hurt commodity, at TDL for a true asset.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Përhaps Anderson csan be moved in a Laine trade. Gallagher csn stay for a while if he keeps scoring 15ish.

Ideally, Anderson is included for Laine with futures but not sure if the Jackets want Anderson back. If there is a contract going the other way, it's likely Dvorak or Armia IMO. Habs probably want to keep Dvorak as center depth for this season so that leaves Armia. Doubt Gallagher gets moved but you never know.

Unloading one of Anderson or Gallagher would be nice. Both have 3 years in term left. Dvorak, Armia, Savard are all gone after one year. Then you wonder, who are the vets mentoring the youth after this season? It's likely Gallagher so yeah, he's probably staying.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Ideally, Anderson is included for Laine with futures but not sure if the Jackets want Anderson back. If there is a contract going the other way, it's likely Dvorak or Armia IMO. Habs probably want to keep Dvorak as center depth for this season so that leaves Armia. Doubt Gallagher gets moved but you never know.

Unloading one of Anderson or Gallagher would be nice. Both have 3 years in term left. Dvorak, Armia, Savard are all gone after one year. Then you wonder, who are the vets mentoring the youth after this season? It's likely Gallagher so yeah, he's probably staying.
Anderson is unlikely. Dvorak could be more interesting to CLB as he could be flip at the TDL for more assets.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I think we have PTSD from our numerous injuries at C last year. If we have an offer without retention nor sweetener for Dvo, I'd pull the trigger.

Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Evans, ABB can play C. For the first time we have legit C prospects that would benefit from a few games in the NHL before going back down: Beck (5-10), Mesar (1-4), even Simonneau or Davidson later on if need be.

Heck we could even sign Dauphin or call up Gignac or Condotta for a few games if we are in a bad spot. 4th line duties, 10 minutes a game.

I would add Kapanen that will come for training camp. he need a spot on the main team or he return to europe. If he's display some skill i'm not against having him on the W to start the season as an additional backup option.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Which I wouldn't bet on with the roster as is. Like I'm 95% sure it's not happening. It's going be a season similar to the last two. I'm just hoping the young players don't get discouraged/disgruntled.
Young players playing in the NHL….something tells me disgruntled does not enter the equation lol

As for another bottom 5-6-7….could happen but with everyone being a year older, full year of Dach, goalie situation is resolved, Hutson making the show, 3 players on last year of their contract and possibly another top 6 added to the team, I like our chances of finishing north of 9th place.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No rush....its a long summer. There will 100% be trades before the season starts.

I would for sure get several speeding tickets going to buy his jersey......

1) Agreed. It's probably a good strategy to let others play the desperation game and we sit back and take advantage of circumstance later. Patience usually pays off. The dynamics of the NHL on who might become available is not predictable.

2) Imagine. Both Crosby and Drai. Nice to think about but doubt Drai leaves Edmonton for Montreal. Probably goes somewhere warm. Crosby might be possible but I think he goes to the Avs if he leaves the Pens.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Don’t think Columbus would take on a longer contract, I believe if anything going back as in salary would be Armia and his 1yr term as he’d hold some value at trade deadline.

I’d pull the trigger though, maybe get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle.

You gotta think Laine would like the chances of Dach kickstarting his career back on track.

We’ll see, so far it’s just internet chatter that makes sense.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Young players playing in the NHL….something tells me disgruntled does not enter the equation lol

As for another bottom 5-6-7….could happen but with everyone being a year older, goalie situation is resolved, Hutson making the show, 3 players on last year of their contract and possibly another top 6 added to the team, I like our chances of finishing north of 9th place.

Yeah, you hear all the excitement with our young NHL players and in our prospect pool and then some fans say, they are going to get disgruntled. The only disgruntledness going on is fans thinking we will rise faster than expected and then trying to connect that to what the players are feeling.

If Dach had the season most of us thought he would, where would that put us last year? Would we have even traded Monahan? It's very possible our pick would have been 8-12 range in this last draft and we are talking about a difference of 76 pts vs 87. 3-5 wins over 82 games. I feel we got lucky to finish 5th last.

Last year was a little step forward. We were not blown out in as many games as the season prior. Lots of 1 goal games which shows we are on the cusp of moving up.

My guess is we are picking 10-15 range in next year's draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad