HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ettedgui likes to play GM.
Not sure he's very credible either.

I believe this rumor is true and it's not just him reporting it. Doesn't mean we will land Laine for sure but no doubt in my mind Hughes is talking with them and it's more than a quick conversation. Probably has a lot of back/forth conversations and cap considerations on what contract goes the other way. And Laine also have to come off the player assistance program.

2 year term checks out for our cap flexibility and top 6 search.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Gorton & Hughes both stated having a successful offseason this summer was critical for the rebuild, they clearly understand what’s at stake. Need to keep in mind what HuGo have accomplished during their time has been the easy light lifting, now is when heavy lifting starts, only time will tell.

In Mike Tyson’s immortal words: “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”
I think a big part of having a successful offseason was the draft and they seemed very satisfied with what they've accomplished.

I'm sure they'd like to also make a trade, but only if it makes sense.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's July 2nd so not sure why so many people are freaking the f*** out that the Habs didn't sign an overpaid, old player an over extended contract yesterday. He has all summer to add one or two top 6 forwards and all the ones that fit that description still haven't moved. Laine, Zegras, Necas, McGroaty, etc. are still available and by most accounts, Habs are still in on them.

So until camp starts, check yourself or you'll wreck yourself and enjoy the summer and bask in the glory that is Demidov until the next trigger(s) is pulled.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I think a big part of having a successful offseason was the draft and they seemed very satisfied with what they've accomplished.

I'm sure they'd like to also make a trade, but only if it makes sense.

He reinforced yesterday that he likes where we are and expects organic growth from this team this year, he also said the younger players need the space to grow and develop, meaning he's not going to use up space by adding unnecessary obstacles in their way. ie, older players with longer term. He's adamant about not rushing this thing and will not force anything too quickly.

He's willing and wanting to make a trade if possible, but only if it makes sense going forward. No quick fixes, he's playing the long game in his desire for this team to be a perennial contender and not a flash in the pan.

It starts at the 7 minute mark..

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
For the long term I sense HuGo still are interested in adding another offensively gifted player. We know for sure they are in the short term, because we know for sure they made a serious offer to Marchessault. Whether he's a stop gap to Demidov or they want another one is not a sure thing.

But, I'm ok going into next year with what we have. I liked Newhook with Armia and either Roy or gally. I wouldn't touch that line and would start Newhook as the 3c. As we have discussed, I have always like Dvo's offensive tools as a complimentary winger. I don't think Dvo would shine centering those wingers Newhook did well with mentioned above. So my lineup is:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Roy - Dach - Dvo (and he can help Dach on draws if needed)
Gally - Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evans - Anderson
Pez

We'll see, maybe Anderson can get back in the mix. But I've always liked him with RHP. So that could be 4 good lines.
You can't say that maybe Anderson can get back in the mix while you place him on the 4th with Evans and RHP playing 8 minutes a game. Come on now!

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I believe this rumor is true and it's not just him reporting it. Doesn't mean we will land Laine for sure but no doubt in my mind Hughes is talking with them and it's more than a quick conversation. Probably has a lot of back/forth conversations and cap considerations on what contract goes the other way. And Laine also have to come off the player assistance program.

2 year term checks out for our cap flexibility and top 6 search.
Not saying it's a bad idea. Could be a good gamble. Contract wise, it makes sense.
I'm just not sure the source is credible.

They have plenty enough cap space to take him at his full salary. I don't think they have to send a contract back.
They would probably want Columbus to retain some salary for Laine to come in below 7.8M though.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
So Seattle now have center depth of:

Beniers
Wright
Stephenson

Catton
Miettinen
Fisker Molgaard
Villeneuve

Probably would never be available, but Beniers would be a crazy trade target. Newhook + multiple 1sts maybe.
Otherwise Pinto would be nice. Maybe McGroarty if we have absolute faith in Dach at C.

Essentially looking to complete a shutdown line with Slaf and Dach.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It's July 2nd so not sure why so many people are freaking the f*** out that the Habs didn't sign an overpaid, old player an over extended contract yesterday. He has all summer to add one or two top 6 forwards and all the ones that fit that description still haven't moved. Laine, Zegras, Necas, McGroaty, etc. are still available and by most accounts, Habs are still in on them.

So until camp starts, check yourself or you'll wreck yourself and enjoy the summer and bask in the glory that is Demidov until the next trigger(s) is pulled.
Furthermore, because it is July 2nd, the effects of July 1st will start kicking in for teams who went on a shopping spree needing to re-balance their cap situation (see Preds) or teams that struck out despite being a contender (see Jets)… opportunities will present themselves and it’ll be low key not:

1719926434239.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not saying it's a bad idea. Could be a good gamble. Contract wise, it makes sense.
I'm just not sure the source is credible.

They have plenty enough cap space to take him at his full salary. I don't think they have to send a contract back.
They would probably want Columbus to retain some salary for Laine to come in below 7.8M though.

A contract has to go back if we have plans of having Price on LTIR after the season starts. And I'm sure that is a strategy for Gorton/Hughes.

Not sure if they want Anderson back so lets keep him out of it. It's probably one of Dvorak or Armia. Both have 1 year left and Blue Jackets have loads of cap space. In fact, if they move Laine and don't take a contract back, they will be under the cap floor of $65M. They are at $69M right now with 16 guys signed.

Don't care about how credible he is. I believe Hughes is talking with the Jackets about Laine. His 2 year term left fits what we are after in terms of not affecting our core (future contracts to Dach, Guhle, ect) and also buying low on Laine.

Laine to the Habs is worth the risks and something we can afford without mortgaging our future. It fits.
* One of Dvorak or Armia (Jackets will not complain about this IMO).
* Flames 1st? Not sure. Habs probably offer Pens and Habs 2nd rounder as our first approach
* NHL ready prospect like Barron. He's got more value than what fans are talking about. A rare big RD who can skate and has a great shot. That's got value and he is close to NHL ready.
* Would one of Kapanen or Beck be available? Not sure.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
A contract has to go back if we have plans of having Price on LTIR after the season starts. And I'm sure that is a strategy for Gorton/Hughes.

Not sure if they want Anderson back so lets keep him out of it. It's probably one of Dvorak or Armia. Both have 1 year left and Blue Jackets have loads of cap space. In fact, if they move Laine and don't take a contract back, they will be under the cap floor of $65M. They are at $69M right now with 16 guys signed.

Don't care about how credible he is. I believe Hughes is talking with the Jackets about Laine. His 2 year term left fits what we are after in terms of not affecting our core (future contracts to Dach, Guhle, ect) and also buying low on Laine.

Laine to the Habs is worth the risks and something we can afford without mortgaging our future. It fits.
* One of Dvorak or Armia (Jackets will not complain about this IMO).
* Flames 1st? Not sure. Habs probably offer Pens and Habs 2nd rounder as our first approach
* NHL ready prospect like Barron. He's got more value than what fans are talking about. A rare big RD who can skate and has a great shot. That's got value and he is close to NHL ready.
* Would one of Kapanen or Beck be available? Not sure.
I'm not sure if you read my post but i said that i agree with you that he would fit on the short term, as a stop gap.
I'm just not sure that the source is credible or if the Habs would do it. But you are free to believe what you want.

They might send a contract back, but they don't absolutely have to. They have 10M in cap space with only Xhekaj and Barron to sign.
They can also send Xhekaj in the AHL on paper before the season starts, like they did last season.

Anderson has 3 years left on his contract. I don't see Columbus taking him back. He has a NTC anyway.

I don't consider giving up Calgary's 1st, Beck or Kapanen buying low.
According to reports, he has negative value. I'm not sure why you'd have to give something back, unless you dump a bad contract.
I'd consider him only if he comes for free since he wouldn't be with the team long term.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the Habs want McGroarty, I think Newhook has to be going the other way. I’m sure the Jets will get a better offer then several minor pieces.
or a dman higher on the depth chart than Barron, Strubble, and harris

HuGo are smoking crack if they think the club can be in the mix for a playoff spot with just natural progression.

They're going to get slapped in the face if that's the expectation. It's really not a good look that they think this.
what are they going to say publicly: if we don't sign that. top six forward to the term we want so it doesn't bite us long term, then we won't be in the mix for the playoffs this year?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
or a dman higher on the depth chart than Barron, Strubble, and harris

what are they going to say publicly: if we don't sign that. top six forward to the term we want so it doesn't bite us long term, then we won't be in the mix for the playoffs this year?

I don't know what they should be saying publically. But they're definitely setting themselves up for disappointment. The club isn't the sniffing the playoffs as is, even healthy. And every club gets injuries.

I'm usually far from a sky is falling kind of guy but on this one...yikes. I suspect a lot of long faces on the team by January. They're not going to reach that goal. They're just not.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Height is largely irrelevant to "playing heavy'. Bennett is shorter than Verhaeghe & Reinhart and plays a much more physical game than either. Lomberg is 5'9 and plays the body more than any of them.

Slaf, Dach & Suzuki are all very good at making space for their linemates too, and will only improve at that as they hit their mid 20s.

Not sure I get the point you are trying to make :dunno:
Yes, Huberdeau is 6'3 and doesn't play a heavy game. That's why his production dipped in half wgen he went from playing with Barkov to Kadri.

Slaf, Dach, and Suzuki may be enough in the top 6 to make space for their linemates. At the end of the day time will tell and time will tell whether HuGo see it that way.

In the short term, I'm in favor of signing Skinner to a 1 or 2 year deal. I think he may be a good offensive player for Dach to play with, and then get us a pick at the tdl of his ufa season.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
HuGo are smoking crack if they think the club can be in the mix for a playoff spot with just natural progression.

They're going to get slapped in the face if that's the expectation. It's really not a good look that they think this.
It's the media who claims the teams is aiming for a playoffs spot next season. I never had that impression from HuGo. They don't want to be a bottom 5 team again, but they are aiming at the 10-16 range (bubble) not 16-20.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yes, Huberdeau is 6'3 and doesn't play a heavy game. That's why his production dipped in half wgen he went from playing with Barkov to Kadri.

Slaf, Dach, and Suzuki may be enough in the top 6 to make space for their linemates. At the end of the day time will tell and time will tell whether HuGo see it that way.

In the short term, I'm in favor of signing Skinner to a 1 or 2 year deal. I think he may be a good offensive player for Dach to play with, and then get us a pick at the tdl of his ufa season.

Skinner was already picked-up by Edmonton. It's Tarasenko and then the trade market.

It's the media who claims the teams is aiming for a playoffs spot next season. I never had that impression from HuGo. They don't want to be a bottom 5 team again, but they are aiming at the 10-16 range (bubble) not 16-20.

They're most definitely a bottom 5 team again with that roster. They're going to get stomped on in the division

Not going to lie - I predict a similar finish as to the last two seasons and serious discontentment from a guy like Suzuki or Caufield. These guys aren't draft geeks and they've essentially been zero rewarded after three seasons of meaningless games in which they still produced and grinded them out. That sucks if you're them.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Skinner was already picked-up by Edmonton. It's Tarasenko and then the trade market.

They're most definitely a bottom 5 team again with that roster. They're going to get stomped on in the division.
wow, the oilers got Skinner, Henrique, and Arvidson at bargains. They're offense is going to be crazy. Skinner wants to win after so many years on losing teams.

I'd take Pacioretty back!

I would have liked Terravainen on the deal he signed in Chicago.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Watch this and remember the good old days, it's going to be a another long year and with a high draft pick coming next draft. Have a quiet summer , relax .. we will be kicking the shit out of each other all season, now is the time to heal up from last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure if you read my post but i said that i agree with you that he would fit on the short term, as a stop gap.
I'm just not sure that the source is credible or if the Habs would do it. But you are free to believe what you want.

They might send a contract back, but they don't absolutely have to. They have 10M in cap space with only Xhekaj and Barron to sign.
They can also send Xhekaj in the AHL on paper before the season starts, like they did last season.

Anderson has 3 years left on his contract. I don't see Columbus taking him back. He has a NTC anyway.

I don't consider giving up Calgary's 1st, Beck or Kapanen buying low.
According to reports, he has negative value. I'm not sure why you'd have to give something back, unless you dump a bad contract.
I'd consider him only if he comes for free since he wouldn't be with the team long term.

I read your post.

1) I don't care about it being creditable or not. I personally believe the report is accurate and we are in serious talks with Laine. He fits our top 6F search and his term left does not mortgage our future. Cost to acquire is also something we can manage.

2) I am sure Gorton/Hughes will send a contract back if we do trade for Laine. You don't have to believe me but I am sure we have plans to place Price on LTIR after the season starts, not before. Adding Laine with no contract going the other way will result in forcing us to put Price on LTIR before the season starts which has challenges we prefer to avoid.

The parts I listed are parts we are considering. It's not all the parts added together bud. A low offer would be Armia, Habs and Pens 2nd, and Barron. A high offer is what you listed but we won't do that.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Nashville has 11,805,000 of money on the books by retained salary or buyouts gotta be the most in the league.
Minnesota had 14
Not nearly enough physicality for the Senators who rely too much on Brady Tkachuk to do hitting. David Perron will help but surely, they would take someone ala Xhekaj. I would consider Xhekaj vs Pinto for sure. With 1.6M cap left, its gonna for them to manage

View attachment 891210
Then the Habs would have to rely upon Michael f***ing Pezzetta for toughness.

I don't think people realize how soft this team is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

They know all about the probability but every team does this. Your goals should be high, now low bud. No doubt we have plans to move up the roster. How far up we go is a guess. Nobody knows

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
They know all about the probability but every team does this. Your goals should be high, now low bud. No doubt we have plans to move up the roster. How far up we go is a guess. Nobody knows

Honestly, do you think Gorton and Hughes think we have a 90%+ chance at the playoffs? Do you really think they think that?

Where in my post are you getting this stupid 90 percent strawman?

My expectation was that this team would take steps to try and compete for a playoff spot next year. They don't even have to make it. Just play real games down the stretch. Be in it.

It seems like this is the expectation from the club as well. Except that with the roster as is they're staring down the barrel of another brutal finish. HuGo can think whatever they want internally, they set an expectation externally. I'm curious to see how they spin it once this team wins 32 games and finishes in the basement.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where in my post are you getting this stupid 90 percent strawman?

My expectation was that this team would take steps to try and compete for a playoff spot next year. They don't even have to make it. Just play real games down the stretch. Be in it.

It seems like this is the expectation from the club as well. Except that with the roster as is they're staring down the barrel of another brutal finish. HuGo can think whatever they want internally, they set an expectation externally. I'm curious to see how they spin it once this team wins 32 games and finishes in the basement.

I'm sure Gorton and Hughes are not that gullible bud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad