HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I dont think it makes much sense to pay a premium to move up to 6 if Lindstrom or Demidov isnt available. So unless they both somehow are available at 5 when we speak, I wouldnt target that pick. Better to focus on pick 11-14 and hope for Iginla, Sennecke or Eiserman to still be there.
OK, but if Demidov is available at 5, my home run would be Demidov and Catton.

durojean

May 29, 2007
This obsession with moving Mike Matheson is hilarious.
That is because it is a logical move.

Let me explain :
If he continues his trend, in 2 years we won’t be able to sign him because he will ask for too much.

The Habs are rebuilding, which means we should see progression. Us trading him will have a drawback for the first year because he is solid so a decline with the Habs after we trade him is to be expected. I feel like next year should be our last bad season before becoming really competitive. It’s logical to use that window to trade him because if not and we trade him next year and we get worse next year because of it then the drawback will be way worse.

He may not have as good a year this year as last year so his value is peak right now.

We need to make place at D while still evaluating and developping our young D. We need space on the teams. Matheson could be too old when we really push for a cup.

Reactions: HabzSauce

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Would you pay

Matheson
Beck
WPG 1st

for

Utah 6th
?

I don't believe any worse prospect would cut it, that's bare minimum for Utah to consider.

Does your opinion change if we're able to draft Demidov (in this case, Lev and Silayev are both picked top 5) or not?

If the Habs manage to draft Demidov AND Buium at the expense of Matheson, Beck and #26, I’d do it every day of the week and twice on friday!

Reactions: BLONG7

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Mike Matheson is now number 13 on The Athletic's trade board, up from number 19 last week.

Sorry to those who want to keep him, but it seems he's on the block.
I'm sure all the GM's across the league are focused in on the Athletic's trade board. :D
If we move Matheson I guarantee you its for reasons other than.
Is he on the block no on the block to me means we are actively looking to move him.
What we are doing is actively listening.
The other possibility is we want something from someone else and they insist on Matheson as part of the package.
Hughes would only do this if he had a ready replacement for the top pairing preferably right handed as I'm sure they'd love to get Guhle back on the left.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

Let me explain :
If he continues his trend, in 2 years we won’t be able to sign him because he will ask for too much.

The Habs are rebuilding, which means we should see progression. Us trading him will have a drawback for the first year because he is solid so a decline with the Habs after we trade him is to be expected. I feel like next year should be our last bad season before becoming really competitive. It’s logical to use that window to trade him because if not and we trade him next year and we get worse next year because of it then the drawback will be way worse.

He may not have as good a year this year as last year so his value is peak right now.

We need to make place at D while still evaluating and developping our young D. We need space on the teams. Matheson could be too old when we really push for a cup.

I agree that this is a "sell high" scenario here. Only problem is that KH said on multiple occasion that he wants the team to be competitive next season. This is where the "sell high" argument hits a wall. Trading Matheson does not help the team be more competitive next season, unless you get a 1st line guy (which you wont).

I'm personally on the fence with Matheson. if it wasn't for KH's comments, I would most likely be on the side of maximizing asset value side of the conversation.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I agree that this is a "sell high" scenario here. Only problem is that KH said on multiple occasion that he wants the team to be competitive next season. This is where the "sell high" argument hits a wall. Trading Matheson does not help the team be more competitive next season, unless you get a 1st line guy (which you wont).

I'm personally on the fence with Matheson. if it wasn't for KH's comments, I would most likely be on the side of maximizing asset value side of the conversation.
Montreal is better off keeping Matheson for now (assuming no one makes an offer too good to refuse) and see how the 2024-25 season plays out. If the Canadiens are competitive, I'm sure Matheson will be a big reason for them playing well. If it's going to be another season with no playoffs, trade Matheson at the deadline. Besides, I think Matheson would likely return more at the deadline than in the offseason.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Would you pay

Matheson
Beck
WPG 1st

for

Utah 6th
?

I don't believe any worse prospect would cut it, that's bare minimum for Utah to consider.

Does your opinion change if we're able to draft Demidov (in this case, Lev and Silayev are both picked top 5) or not?

That is an egregious over payment and Hughes would look like a fool for offering/accepting it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Nah, too much focus on his flaws when even guys like this (Sergachev, Chabot, Bouchard, Rielly, etc) also have flaws in their own end.

Matheson has improved and he has earned it. Possible we might move him but he's much better
The interesting thing for me will be what kind of demands are the coaching staff going to be putting on Matheson and our D as a whole.
We always knew a time would come when Loosey Goosey would no longer be acceptable.
Matheson simply has to emulate Kaiden Guhle who rarely if ever leaves the back end exposed on a rush.
What Matheson needs to understand is his turnovers can be avoided and he was never going to score on the plays he makes them in.
Leave the puck in an area where you and your team mates can recover.
Done properly it won't affect the plays that we do score on.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The interesting thing for me will be what kind of demands are the coaching staff going to be putting on Matheson and our D as a whole.
We always knew a time would come when Loosey Goosey would no longer be acceptable.
Matheson simply has to emulate Kaiden Guhle who rarely if ever leaves the back end exposed on a rush.
What Matheson needs to understand is his turnovers can be avoided and he was never going to score on the plays he makes them in.
Leave the puck in an area where you and your team mates can recover.
Done properly it won't affect the plays that we do score on.

I've personally seen him improve on D. Yeah, he's not a shutdown type but his flaws are being way to focused on. I'm sure MSL is working with him on the context you are talking about... balancing his offensive aggression but picking his spots better. He's not a star on D but he's an elite puck mover with good vision and a great shot. Comparing him to Ghost and Deangelo is an insult IMO.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

I doubt the Habs will compete for anything as long as Matheson is considered the Habs #1 D. That's not his chair.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Nah, too much focus on his flaws when even guys like this (Sergachev, Chabot, Bouchard, Rielly, etc) also have flaws in their own end.

Matheson has improved and he has earned it. Possible we might move him but he's much better than getting credit for.

People who are too harsh on Matheson just do not have any understanding of the game whatsoever.

Reactions: rabbit4949

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
That is an egregious over payment and Hughes would look like a fool for offering/accepting it.

Matheson is worth a late first at best (not a true first pair), and 20+27 doesn’t get you #6, especially for the first pick of a “new” franchise. Of course, you’re also paying a premium for acquiring this top pick so close to the draft.

It definitely is an overpayment in terms of absolute value, but we all know 4x25 cents isn’t worth a dollar in this league. Depends how high you are on Beck for this proposal, but Utah will want a good prospect if they’re not getting that top D back (which I don’t believe Barron is anymore)

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This obsession with moving Mike Matheson is hilarious.
Even worse, the obsession with moving him for nothing tangible is even weirder.

Let me explain :

Precisely why he won't be traded until he's being traded for a player that makes the Habs as good, if not better, then if he was on the roster.

They're not trading him for a guy who in the best case scenario, is about 3 years away from making an impact.

That's not progression, it's regression.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Pezzetta + 3rd + 5th

for

Jeannot

TB does not have any draft pick in the first 3 round.

Make it happen Kent

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Habs need to improve the 3rd and 4th lines and have the cap space to add this player.
I feel like they need to unclutter their bottom 6, rather then add another overpaid option to it.

But that's me. I"m not a Jeannot fan, I thought it was hilariously sad when Tampa paid all those picks to acquire him, somehow people actually thought that was a good move.

Pezzetta + 3rd + 5th

for

Jeannot

TB does not have any draft pick in the first 3 round.

Make it happen Kent
This is a weird proposal, since Pezzetta is just as good of a hockey player...he's just not as good of a fighter.

But adding the 3rd and 5th?? Yikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad