HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's a mistake prone Jake Gardner who just had his best year, value will never be higher, and next contract will be a big mistake, and is blocking Guhle/Hutson from O-zone / PP1 time...obviously don't give him away, maximize his value before it tanks again.

Nah, too much focus on his flaws when even guys like this (Sergachev, Chabot, Bouchard, Rielly, etc) also have flaws in their own end.

Matheson has improved and he has earned it. Possible we might move him but he's much better than getting credit for.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
First off Habs have plenty of cap space w more coming as Dvorak + Armia + Savard are entering their UFA season over $11M freeing up
This is not including an extra $4,268,750 from final year of retained salary on Petry and Allen. They will have close to $16 million in cap space freeing up. I think this offseason is a stand pat with minor adjustments. Depending on Slafkovsky if his production continues to take off like the second half of the season it could be a lockup long term rather than bridge deal which would cost a bit of the $16million. Either way Habs are in a great spot to stand pat one more year with minor adjustments and hope for progression then strike and start to turn the tides next offseason.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Nah, too much focus on his flaws when even guys like this (Sergachev, Chabot, Bouchard, Rielly, etc) also have flaws in their own end.

Matheson has improved and he has earned it. Possible we might move him but he's much better than getting credit for.
He also gets difficult assignments and takes the heat off the kids by being the Habs internet fans punching bag.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is not including an extra $4,268,750 from final year of retained salary on Petry and Allen. They will have close to $16 million in cap space freeing up. I think this offseason is a stand pat with minor adjustments. Depending on Slafkovsky if his production continues to take off like the second half of the season it could be a lockup long term rather than bridge deal which would cost a bit of the $16million. Either way Habs are in a great spot to stand pat one more year with minor adjustments and hope for progression then strike and start to turn the tides next offseason.

Two problems with some fans wanting to move out the vets with aggression. Yes, we will consider some moves when we talk with teams but there is no desperation here.

1) Habs will not have a roster that young with lack of vet leadership.

2) Habs have lots of cap space during those terms left from the vets.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He also gets difficult assignments and takes the heat off the kids by being the Habs internet fans punching bag.

Yeah, some fans like to punch the bag a lot too. Probably the same ones who thought Lehkonen was just worth a 2nd rounder and not that good. Also probably the same fans that publicly says they don't watch the games.

Lets stop targeting Matheson's flaws please. He's an improving player on a value contract and his usage is high on the Habs. Probably doesn't stay after this contract but man, lets enjoy the ride while he is here. If a team wants him, we can consider moving him.

Reactions: dinodebino

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
Would you pay

Matheson
Beck
WPG 1st

for

Utah 6th
?

I don't believe any worse prospect would cut it, that's bare minimum for Utah to consider.

Does your opinion change if we're able to draft Demidov (in this case, Lev and Silayev are both picked top 5) or not?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Has there been any rumors from reliable sources that connects him to any teams or is this just sports writers speculation because of the log jam on the left side? Just wondering anyone has read or heard something more specific.
There has been nothing specific about Habs related trades under HuGo until the trade is at the NHL office.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Why arent we trading Gallagher+Anderson+2nd+3rd+4th for a '27 3rd? Lets clear some of our dead weight too.
Because no team would take on those two contracts for the next three years for basically a 2nd and 4th round pick.

The Habs do not need the roster space or cap space yet, so there is no reason to spend the assets it would take now to offload those two contracts.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The Canucks believe they are a UFA or two away from being a serious contender.

The Habs are no where near that so there is no rush.
Exactly this.. people want to get rid of bad contracts for the sake of it. No reason to give away free assets when the bad contracts aren't hindering us from reaching the next step.

If the Habs take a big step this year and we're being dragged down by these guys, by all means. We're not there yet.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Man is our depth chart terrible.

We have Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf. After, we have Dach coming off a 1 year hiatus, flanked by Newhook (?) and... Anderson?

Then it's a collection of Gallagher, Dvorak, Evans, Armia, RHP, Pezzetta and Roy.

Then on D we have like 10 Ds who are NHL ready, but none of which have actual trade value, and the ones who do we apparently are not willing to trade them.

At this point, I hope we will weaponise the almost 20M bucks we have under the cap and take a run at Laine.

We can eat his whole salary for two years without any problem and could even pass them Dvorak's contract in exchange. Plus the potential reward is interesting.

I just hope it does not stay that way. Otherwise it's still going to be a bottom-5 finish and I still won't bother watching most games. We're that bad.

Not that I expect us to make the playoffs. But a 4th bottom-5 finish in a row should rightfully raise some questions on this administration's ability to build a winner.
Same players = same results

How many new faces you see making the team on day 1?
Including Dach.
2?

Dach comes back, Suzuki or Caufield goes down: top 5 pick again.

But thats living in reality. Boring.

Better off imagining Utah giving up 6th for old man Matheson until tomorrow night.

Or making 100 mocks with Demidov at 5.

Reactions: Kents polished head

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I agree with you but Sometimes you gotta take one step back to take two steps forward.

Has to be a good offer. If we have to suffer a bit this year to make us better in the long run, it makes sense to trade Matheson. It's only one year - everyone is ready to offload him next season regardless anyway. Would rather have the young skill guy who makes us better for years than keeping Matheson who only makes us better for one more year
Good points, but they could actually do both. Move Matheson at the deadline. Of course, it depends on the standings, but they might get a really good return.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Would you pay

Matheson
Beck
WPG 1st

for

Utah 6th
?

I don't believe any worse prospect would cut it, that's bare minimum for Utah to consider.

Does your opinion change if we're able to draft Demidov (in this case, Lev and Silayev are both picked top 5) or not?

Imagine we traded matheson for a package around Utahs pick.
I dont think it makes much sense to pay a premium to move up to 6 if Lindstrom or Demidov isnt available. So unless they both somehow are available at 5 when we speak, I wouldnt target that pick. Better to focus on pick 11-14 and hope for Iginla, Sennecke or Eiserman to still be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad