HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
yup.
and during the year get pissed at him on HF and now. "have to keep him" sheesh
Who exactly is saying that. I think completely in terms of the team and not the individual.
I'm all for trading Matheson but you first have to convince me it makes us a better team right now.
No one has done that yet with any of the proposals I've seen.
I'm not even concerned about the left side of our D it's the right side that is the issue.
One thing is for sure HuGo do not think like this board Matheson has a value for them as well and it's as a member of their team.
It will take a mighty offer to get them to move him before they are ready and I doubt they are ready.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I know, but what else can they give? I love Guhle but he is more replaceable than Matheson this year. No one is playing those minutes and getting 60 plus points (again I said this year). They do have a plethora of young D to at least somewhat replace Guhle.
Is Guhle going to be a number 1 guy? Sure there’s a good chance. Will he bring the offence? Not sure on that. You aren’t getting a top 6 forward with leftovers. Believe me I don’t want them to trade him.
I'd rather trade Hutson and draft Buium. Guhle is a beast, I'd like to keep him if possible.

Showcase Hutson this year, let his value build and then trade/package him for elite talent up front. And before I get crucified for even suggesting we trade our new shiny toy, it's simply a size issue for me. I don't see Hutson being all that effective come playoff Time (hope I'm wrong but very valid concern).

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I'd rather trade Hutson and draft Buium. Guhle is a beast, I'd like to keep him if possible.

Showcase Hutson this year, let his value build and then trade/package him for elite talent up front. And before I get crucified for even suggesting we trade our new shiny toy, it's simply a size issue for me. I don't see Hutson being all that effective come playoff Time (hope I'm wrong but very valid concern).
The only way Huston brings in elite talent up front is if he is so effective that it makes no sense to trade him

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Who exactly is saying that. I think completely in terms of the team and not the individual.
I'm all for trading Matheson but you first have to convince me it makes us a better team right now.
I'm not even concerned about the left side of our D it's the right side that is the issue.
One thing is for sure HuGo do not think like this board Matheson has a value for them as well and it's as a member of their team.
It will take a mighty offer to get them to move him before they are ready and I doubt they are ready.
Why do we have to be a better team right now? Did we barely miss the playoffs last year? Are we contending now?

We're currently in the middle of a rebuild. Sure, we're coming out of it here soon. But how does a 30 year old Mike Matheson help us win the Stanley Cup right now.

The only reason Mike Matheson plays 25 minutes a game for a team in the NHL, PK included, is because he's on one of the only teams that has the youngers/most inexperienced D core in the league. That's it.

The point of rebuilding isn't to improve the team in the present day. As. I mentioned way back in this thread, we traded Lehkonen, Toffoli, Monahan twice, Edmundson, etc because they were older players that helped the rebuild. But we can't trade Mike Matheson because we need to finish 8th last instead of 5th last.

Make it make sense.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
He doesn't need to. He simply has to play solid hockey like he does many nights when he isn't trying to be Paul Coffee.
His value would actually increase if he could do that. Having that ability to force the rush is a gift and he simply needs to understand when to unwrap it.
I don't like him on the PP but then again I didn't like Caufield much on the PP either their side was attacked aggressively all season long.
thing is he can't play solid hockey, make way to many mistakes

it all is what KH is offered. we will never know.
I am saying if the deal is really strong then make it, can't give him away.

but all year he was bashed so much for his errors and now he is a solid part of this team? can't understand that

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I always wonder where our trades are but the last few years under bergevin I dreaded seeing the confirmed with link tag. I'm fine if we're not making deals if only bad ones are out there.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
The only way Huston brings in elite talent up front is if he is so effective that it makes no sense to trade him
I'm sure he will be a great player but you have to give to get. Cant get elite talent with Harris, Barron, etc

Why he's overrated, bad defensively on a career record. It's the best time to trade him.

We got his ass for Petry and Poehling. If he can get a top 15 1st or a top 6 forward you make the deal.
Yup he's very valuable for us right now but that doesn't mean he's off the table.

He's got peak value right now unless he repeats his production this season which is far from a guarantee. If the right dance partner comes along and gives us a good offer, you have to at least consider

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Who on the back end is getting those points? And don’t tell me one of the rookies with 2 games experience.
I agree with you but Sometimes you gotta take one step back to take two steps forward.

Has to be a good offer. If we have to suffer a bit this year to make us better in the long run, it makes sense to trade Matheson. It's only one year - everyone is ready to offload him next season regardless anyway. Would rather have the young skill guy who makes us better for years than keeping Matheson who only makes us better for one more year

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
What contract would you give Matheson on his next one? Let's say he regresses slightly next year, plays the same level of D. 40-45 pts. What's the term/AAV?

I would never re-sign this guy, but I'm curious on what you think he's worth.

I don't know and there is no opinion to have there. We can't dictate his worth, the market will.

Players negotiate based on comparatives.

I think being a ufa at 31YO tho he will command a raise and a long term deal. Dubious if we go for it.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Who is going to eat his mins if we trade him?
Guhle. He already played top pairing minutes last year on his offside.

Won't produce as much but that's fine. Allows Guhle (our future stud) to properly develop on the correct side. And opens up room for Xhekaj to continue developing too on 2nd pair. Would be good for both of these guys

Reactions: sampollock

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Guhle. He already played top pairing minutes last year on his offside.

Won't produce as much but that's fine. Allows Guhle (our future stud) to properly develop on the correct side. And opens up room for Xhekaj to continue developing too on 2nd pair. Would be good for both of these guys
there is always a vet out there to get for a year contract on UFA

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
thing is he can't play solid hockey, make way to many mistakes

it all is what KH is offered. we will never know.
I am saying if the deal is really strong then make it, can't give him away.

but all year he was bashed so much for his errors and now he is a solid part of this team? can't understand that
If the deal is really strong they probably do trade him. I'm doubting we will get a tempting enough offer.

Reactions: sampollock

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why do we have to be a better team right now? Did we barely miss the playoffs last year? Are we contending now?

We're currently in the middle of a rebuild. Sure, we're coming out of it here soon. But how does a 30 year old Mike Matheson help us win the Stanley Cup right now.

The only reason Mike Matheson plays 25 minutes a game for a team in the NHL, PK included, is because he's on one of the only teams that has the youngers/most inexperienced D core in the league. That's it.

The point of rebuilding isn't to improve the team in the present day. As. I mentioned way back in this thread, we traded Lehkonen, Toffoli, Monahan twice, Edmundson, etc because they were older players that helped the rebuild. But we can't trade Mike Matheson because we need to finish 8th last instead of 5th last.

Make it make sense.
They certainly don't want to be worse

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Elliotte Friedman: "It's going to be an insane week this week.. so many trades, you won't see some of them coming!!"

NHL midweek leading up to Draft: *crickets*

NBA in weird, random offweek: 5 unprotected first rounders traded for an above average player.
We had trades in the cup final, never seen this many moves pre draft.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Make it make sense.
I dunno because it’s a billion $ business that exists to maximize profit$ and feed the consortiums desire to grow ancillary businesses perhaps?

Reactions: 417

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I dont think trading Matteson now makes a lot sense. You could be right and this might be his highest value. But he also eats minutes and shelters the kids growing into their roles.

They are not ready yet, so if you trade Matheson you have to fill that hole from outside of the organization.
You're not getting a guy who can QB a PP and play 25 mins a night on a one or two year deal under 4.8M so you're looking at players coming in on a longer term, higher dollar value and likely around the same age.

If Matheson only gets 40pts this year does his value change that much? I don't think it does.

What are you telling the team if you trade him for picks?

Patience is the key here.

Hopefully the kids develop more this upcoming season and this can be reassessed at the deadline.
A lot of angles to think about with this decision.

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
It makes sense, but to be honest, the Habs need both and that's why I kind of hope they stop trading their extra first to speed up the rebuild/retool.

You want a solid prospect pool to be able to potentially land a fairly good player that becomes available, or be able to trade a decent roster player + and have a prospect fill in up front.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I dont think trading Matteson now makes a lot sense. You could be right and this might be his highest value. But he also eats minutes and shelters the kids growing into their roles.

They are not ready yet, so if you trade Matheson you have to fill that hole from outside of the organization.
You're not getting a guy who can QB a PP and play 25 mins a night on a one or two year deal under 4.8M so you're looking at players coming in on a longer term, higher dollar value and likely around the same age.

If Matheson only gets 40pts this year does his value change that much? I don't think it does.

What are you telling the team if you trade him for picks?

Patience is the key here.

Hopefully the kids develop more this upcoming season and this can be reassessed at the deadline.
A lot of angles to think about with this decision.
Trading Matheson now makes lot of sense if the return is a quality RHD dman prospect along with a +. if you can get that then imo it makes total sense. Matheson is now 30 and like Petry he wont be eternal. Petry became a cap dump overnight at 33.

Again i know it's very popular around here to think all players can dominate until 40 but the reality is most player hit a wall between 30 and 35. If you trade Matheson and Reinbacher/Mailloux are not ready you can just sign a placeholder for a year.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I'd be very surprised if we trade Matheson or Guhle this offseason. Our LD position isn't solid enough yet to make a trade like that unless we're preparing to tank for another year. They're both very important pieces in our lineup. We can see how things unfold with development of our D this season, and at some point we might be in a position where a Matheson trade makes sense leading up to the deadline. It might make sense if some combination of Hutson/Struble/Xhekaj take strides showing they're ready for significantly increased responsibility from last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad