HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024-25 Season

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
What is unrealistic is to expect triple redondance on a hockey team. You just don't have that kind of luxury, trading Kova is the willingness to take a steps back to move forward, you need to give Reinbacher NHL rep to move forward.

Guhle is injured, Reinbacher is injured, Savard is playing like shit and Mailloux/Barron are anything but stable... That's quite the toll on the right side at the moment.
Well. there's that. The injury to Reinbacher looks dumb to me, like the guy didn't warm up at all. Maybe with more vets, you get a more serious preseason and less injury issues, but that's a big maybe. And the folks who were going to rely on Reinbacher breaking up are the same who made that horrifying preseason so...

If Barron is out, we need a vet from a waiver wire or from an AHL trade...

Think we can get Kovy back? :naughty:

He's gone...

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Bergevin’s bad off-season led to the team tanking that year so I don’t know why you can’t count it. The horrible start while he was still enployed played a big part in why we finished with the best chance of winning the lottery and set off the chain of events for the rebuild. Gorton was hired 23 games into that season, he hired his own GM and coach shortly after, and sold off the assets we had for what he wanted before getting a lottery pick. He was also able to go into the draft with preparation time with his own staff. I don’t know why that year wouldn’t count as part of the rebuild.

It doesn't count because he didn't make rebuilding moves. He lost a top 3 pick to an offersheet. He extended Armia. He signed Savard. He traded a 1st and a 2nd for Dvorak.

That's not rebuilding behavior therefore it's not part of a rebuild

You can't change the time frame because you want it to look worse than it is.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Well. there's that. The injury to Reinbacher looks dumb to me, like the guy didn't warm up at all. Maybe with more vets, you get a more serious preseason and less injury issues, but that's a big maybe. And the folks who were going to rely on Reinbacher breaking up are the same who made that horrifying preseason so...

He's gone...

I don't think their expectation was as high as having Reinbacher breaking out in his D+1. They have displayed Buddhist monk level of patience with rookies since they are in charge, but I don't think expecting Reinbacher to be proficient enough to play with Matheson was unrealistic and the minute you can untie Guhle from Matheson is the minute you start to open options for your defensive pairings.

But anyway the process to get to that point went out of the window very quickly.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It doesn't count because he didn't make rebuilding moves. He lost a top 3 pick to an offersheet. He extended Armia. He signed Savard. He traded a 1st and a 2nd for Dvorak.

That's not rebuilding behavior therefore it's not part of a rebuild

You can't change the time frame because you want it to look worse than it is.
That’s not what I’m doing. Gorton took over 1/4 into that season. And the team was in a tank trajectory when he did where he had almost a full season of time to make moves. Why would that year be removed completely? I feel like people are leaving it out for the opposite reason you mentioned which is to make excuses for how long a rebuild should take.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’d love the habs to make a push for maccelli who is currently in tourigny doghouse in Utah for some obscure reasons. They are looking for help in Defense with Marino and durzi out long term.
Obscure reason? Macc is a good story and I like him as a player but it's quite clear why he's in the dog house. He's a massive risk taker and he's soft. He's not what the team needs.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'm intrigued by the thought of adding a top 4 RD. I believe it is our biggest weakness at this point. While Rein or Mailloux could fit that role in the future, it is far from a sure thing.

To get a legit top 4 RD, ideally under the age of 28, I'd offer a pretty big package.

Habs 1st 2025 top 5 protected. Defers to Calgary pick if we land top 5.
2026 2nd round pick
Justin Barron
Josh Roy

Reactions: LesCactus

LesCactus

Oct 19, 2024
I'm intrigued by the thought of adding a top 4 RD. I believe it is our biggest weakness at this point. While Rein or Mailloux could fit that role in the future, it is far from a sure thing.

To get a legit top 4 RD, ideally under the age of 28, I'd offer a pretty big package.

2026 2nd round pick
Justin Barron
Josh Roy
K’Andre Miller came to mind, but then I searched it up and he’s a lefty.

Reactions: waitin425

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008

2026 2nd round pick
Justin Barron
Josh Roy
not MTL pick, no chance

Reactions: HabzSauce

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Bergevin’s bad off-season led to the team tanking that year so I don’t know why you can’t count it. The horrible start while he was still enployed played a big part in why we finished with the best chance of winning the lottery and set off the chain of events for the rebuild. Gorton was hired 23 games into that season, he hired his own GM and coach shortly after, and sold off the assets we had for what he wanted before getting a lottery pick. He was also able to go into the draft with preparation time with his own staff. I don’t know why that year wouldn’t count as part of the rebuild.
Yup. To me rebuild starts when you hit rock bottom. Regardless of what happened prior to that.

MB firing was rock bottom for Habs. That is when the rebuild truly begun

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Slafkofield

May 1, 2022
The problems are the same they've been since the start of the rebuild - unmovable contracts. The you know who's that we can't get rid of.
Exactly, I see us being more competitive when Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, and Dvorak are gone. They literally bring nothing to the table. Anderson needs to start using his damn body…

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yup. To me rebuild starts when you hit rock bottom. Regardless of what happened prior to that.

MB firing was rock bottom for Habs. That is when the rebuild truly begun
To me, a rebuild begins when your forced to rip apart the core of a team and start over. We crashed out in 2018 with Bergevin, but instead of rebuilding then, he kept the nucleus of the team intact by keeping Price, Weber, Petry, Gallagher, etc. In 21/22, even tho Bergevin was desperate to save his job, his core was destroyed when Price and Weber were finished, and everyone else that was left was washed up. I don’t include guys like Suzuki and Caufield because they were young and not apart of the previous regime for very long. To me, that’s when the rebuild started even if it took a couple of months for Bergevin to get fired. It was in full swing when Gorton was hired in November that year.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

He's gone...
Kovalev had some amazing hands but a slow 51 year old converted forward won't be much of an upgrade on David Savard.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hughes has tried to trade for Zegras before. He's off to slow start this season. Maybe it is time for a change?
I don't know enough about Zegras and the fans here are divided on him. But if Hughes likes him, yes, his value is probably at a low right now. Again though, we would be giving up a kind of guy we can't replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad