HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So glad Montreal didn't pay the price Winnipeg wanted, what a fumble by LA.

As someone who wanted PLD from Winnipeg and would have been open to giving him a shot as a reclamation project had he been bought out, I am shocked that Washington is making that commitment (7 years at 8.5!) and accepting to only dump Kuemper for it. That is bonkers.

I'm still convinced we would have traded that Florida pick for him if they didn't go on that run.

I think the Jets would have refused that the instant LA offered up Vilardi anyways.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
PLD has been trying to pick his destination his whole career.

He finally does, and he plays so badly he gets traded after one season. What a weird situation.

Kings strategy was spreading out talent over 3 lines with Dubois playing 3C with limited talent. I'm pretty sure that was not what Dubois had in mind when he signed.

I think if fans spend the same amount of energy criticizing him to digging into the context of us up/down play, they would come to realize a few things.

Excuses or context? Doesn't matter to me. He's not the type to lead a line by himself. This time, he is going to play with Ovi. I think the results change.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's circumstantial. Dubois as a "center" is a supply/demand thingy. Caps need centers badly.

With Laine, what team is missing that critical goal scorer RW type? A team that is playoff bound but missing that goal scorer? Same team that can send a contract back (like Kuemper for example). Now I wonder what the Caps plans are in net? Bring back Samsonov?
I don't hate it from the Caps perspective and if he finds his game back in Washington, no one will care about his salary at that point.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Well see how he rebounds with the Caps and this time, he's playing #1C with Ovi. I find it funny where fans value Dubois when he was point/game and playing with Connor but then his points drop when they move him off that line. Then the Kings trade for him and decide to play him 3C for most of the season spreading out their talent.

Dubois was the Dubois I know with Team Canada this past WC's. Playing with talent.. Wow! Imagine that.

Certainly not a consistent player (like Anderson) but when they show up and play with talent, they produce. I can see Dubois changing his player value with the Caps with better usage and with Ovi.
He must be desperate to change his perception around the league. He does not have much runway left if not for this.

Reactions: Runner77

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Kings strategy was spreading out talent over 3 lines with Dubois playing 3C with limited talent. I'm pretty sure that was not what Dubois had in mind when he signed.

I think if fans spend the same amount of energy criticizing him to digging into the context of us up/down play, they would come to realize a few things.

Excuses or context? Doesn't matter to me. He's not the type to lead a line by himself. This time, he is going to play with Ovi. I think the results change.
This is why I never really got the Dubois trade from the Kings perspective.. I guess in their mind they solidify their Top 3 C's (with Danault as a 3C, something we all wanted to happen here) but yeah it obviously didn't work out. Maybe they thought Kopitar had less in the tank or something but paying a guy 8.5 million to play on your third line...

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

Yeah I'm not willing to to give Dubois any sort of pass on his season because of some supposed strategy by the Kings.

CLEARLY, he underperformed the Kings' expectations, so they likely don't agree that the context of his situation mitigates the (lack of) value he brought on the ice.

That all said, I do agree that the results likely improve from here on. Whether they improve enough to match the salary is anyone's guess.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't hate it from the Caps perspective and if he finds his game back in Washington, no one will care about his salary at that point.
Yeah it's not a terrible bet, they have some decent young pieces so even if they have to rebuild in a year or two PLD can still be a contributer when they come out of it.

Reactions: 417

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
When does that happen though? When does he fade in the shadows? I've been paying attention. It's when he's moved down the line-up and not playing with talent. That trend is clear as day with me. He's not entirely innocent for sure but there is usage/management issues connected to it.

I don't even think he is a sure shot center. I find he is a power forward winger type who can play center.
And why does he get moved down the lineup on every team?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I've said this over and over again and others think I'm in love with Dubois. What I have seen is fans/media gang up on him. Some of it was deserved but not all of it.

Lets revisit it:

1) Asked out of Columbus and likely wanted to be traded to the Habs. Habs didn't have a Laine to offer and Jets interfered. Remember the "his dad is in Winnipeg and he will stay" narrative?

2) Had a meh season with the Jets after the trade. Was OK against the Oilers in the 1st round by not so good against "his Habs" in the 2nd round.

3) Jets tried to convince him to stay. They put Scheifele on the 2nd line and played Dubois with Connor. Dubois was pt/game guy then. Once Dubois told them he would not extend, he was moved off the line with less talent and the fade into the shadows happened.

4) Kings had great center depth and then interfered (like the Jets) because he did want to play for the Habs. Dubois agent likely found out what we would offer if he reached UFA and it was not $8.5M so they decided to sign with the Kings.

5) Kings strategy was to spread out talent over 3 lines with Dubois playing 3C. Not the right strategy for Dubois. He is not the type to lead a line by himself. Some fans and NHL managers need to come to grips with this. He's actually a power forward winger to me but someone who can play center if required.

Caps have plans to play him #1C with Ovi because they need a center. I bet you the better Dubois comes out again. Rollercoaster ride is not over yet boys and girls.

And why does he get moved down the lineup on every team?

See post above. Tried to explain his journey well. Once again, he's not entirely innocent but there are usage/management problems connected to it.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Why not..? What do you think Montour looked at 21? Bouchard really exploded last year and he is playing with f***in McDavid and Draisitle. He is 2.5 years older then Ghule? Are you not expecting any progression at all from Ghule? People on this board seem to think he is a finished product, he is not and still have lots of growing to do.

Theodore was a throw in from the ducks what do you think he looked like at Ghule's age? He was in the AHL he really took off at the adge of 24.

Bottom line is I truly believe that yes both Ghule and Reinbacher have this potential and Mailloux well, we will see. Poeple need to be patient. The team does not score a lot which puts a lot of pressure on the Dman and they are a really young group that is IMO progressing really well.
I totally agree with you. I was asking other membwrwho wrote we are missing 1D. I think both Guhle and Reinbacher have such potential.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
You don't know if Xhekaj will be bottom pairing or top 4D after 95 NHL games. Just like we don't know if we hit with that 10th pick.

It like holding Xkekaj back from improving while automatically penciling in anybody in that top 13 as a sure shot hit. It don't work that way. The 10th pick has very good value but so does Xhekaj alone by himself. Someone with this size and mobility and his nasty style of play is just not available.

Xhekaj has tons of value. GM's are trying to circle around like vultures to try to acquire for cheap but I'm pretty sure Hughes will not bite on trading Xhekaj for cheap. He's got Romanov value and more IMO.

I was not saying to dump him for scraps. I just meant that the left side is deep with The Habs and they should take advantage while his value is very high. If they don't get proper value then keep him, there is no downside to checking around.....

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

Byfield emergence probably change Blake plan

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Habs fans wanted KH to pick Shane Wright
Habs fans wanted KH to go after PL Dubois

KH :
The-Matrix-bullet-dodge.gif

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
We all guessed (based on the PLD draft rumours) that Bergevin was a big part of the Kings deciding to trade for and ultimately sign Dubois.

If that's true, he can't be a popular guy in that front office.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Isles have won 6 PO rounds and missed POs 4x since Clutterbuck has been with them.

Habs have won 6 PO rounds and missed POs 5x in that same time span.

Maybe it's not that they are undervalued so much as you are overestimating the impact they have :dunno:
They aren't paid to put the puck in the net that isn't a valid argument.
They were paid to play hard minutes in the oppositions end of the rink which they were noted for.
Let me know when we have a fourth line able to do that

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Wow, now I am more optimistic about trading away Anderson. LAK and NYR got rid of their bad contracts pretty easily.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We all guessed (based on the PLD draft rumours) that Bergevin was a big part of the Kings deciding to trade for and ultimately sign Dubois.

If that's true, he can't be a popular guy in that front office.
Beergevin was already the coffee guy, now, who knows what they have him doing......

Hollywood PLD...............now DC PLD............................boy did we dodge a bullet.

And what are the Caps thinking?? Wow. 40-60 pts for a 8.5M dollar guy.

Reactions: rahad

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
you wrote this:
Panthers top 2 dmen are 6' under 200lbs

regardless, I'll be more accurate next time to clarify, I meant team toughness, grit and size, so as not to irritate you
6' under 200lbs

I still don't get your confusion.

Not sure what irritation you are speaking of? You made a comment. I replied and pointed out where I disagree. You misunderstood and I tried to clarify?

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad