HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This team and fan base has stagnated for so long, had so little elite talent for so long that mediocrity has taken root and become as goal to attain rather than the bare minimum to achieve.

I think management thinks bigger than past management could even conceive and I hope it cascades down to the fans. Dream bigger, demand better.
So true

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The point is even if you fix the problems with the bottom-6 today, in a couple years your going to have to fix it again, and a couple years after that you'll have to fix it again and so on. Even in the best case scenario there will be constant turnover in the bottom-6, so you never actually fix things it's just constant maintenance every year. So sure fix it all you want, but it's mostly meaningless until you've actually built a good top-6.
What are you talking about? If you find the right fit you pay to keep it like Clutterbuck and Martin with the isles.
They were obviously appreciated where they were or they wouldn't ave found the longetivity they did.
I don't get why crucial role players are so undervalued and underestimated on this board.
If just anybody could do the job properly we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Reactions: rickthegoon

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
What would you be willing to give up to get the 3rd OA pick besides the 5th OA pick(I assume Anaheim is going D/not demidov)?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
What are you talking about? If you find the right fit you pay to keep it like Clutterbuck and Martin with the isles.
They were obviously appreciated where they were or they wouldn't ave found the longetivity they did.
I don't get why crucial role players are so undervalued and underestimated on this board.
If just anybody could do the job properly we wouldn't be having this discussion.
A couple guys who never won anything in part because the team was spending 5m on them instead of adding a top-6 F or top-4 D that would have actually helped the Islanders do something seems like a weird take.

And to further my point, just look at the Goodrow news that dropped today.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
This past week, Lapresse talked about Ottawa being open to trade their 7th draft pick and today, i've read the same about the 6th selection of Utah .

What kind of deal Hughes may offer to get one or both of those draft selections ? imagine getting the 5th-6th and 7th draft picks :laugh::laugh::laugh: . I think it would be the first time ever that all the fans of the Habs forum would all be happy

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
A lot of people here are hyper focused on acquiring mediocrity, the same strategy we’ve had basically since the offseason where we brought in Gionta and co

Can we just try to get some high end talent for once? We have enough bozo bottom 6 players to last the next 100 years
I'm not questioning finding skill, that's not my point. My point is that you can't win a cup with a small team. have a look at Florida and Edm's roster.
Check out Vegas' roster.
Even Habs had a large, physical bottom 6 and menacing D during covid cup run.
It opened up space for the top two lines

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A couple guys who never won anything in part because the team was spending 5m on them instead of adding a top-6 F or top-4 D that would have actually helped the Islanders do something seems like a weird take.

And to further my point, just look at the Goodrow news that dropped today.
LOL Clutterbuck and Martin weren't the problem.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They also weren't any kind of solution which goes back to my original point, it's meaningless to care about the bottom-6 when your needs are in the top-6.
Your point is strange my roof is leaking but I'm not going to fix it because it may be temporary.
You don't seem to have a clue about what this team needs even though Hughes spelled it out for you in his post season presser.
They want to be competitive and you want to tank if we don't get a top six piece.
It's not like I'm suggesting we spend a crap load of money on nothing.

Reactions: Runner77

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Your point is strange my roof is leaking but I'm not going to fix it because it may be temporary.
You don't seem to have a clue about what this team needs even though Hughes spelled it out for you in his post season presser.
They want to be competitive and you want to tank if we don't get a top six piece.
It's not like I'm suggesting we spend a crap load of money on nothing.
Except the leaky roof is actually the missing pieces in the top-6 and your focused on re-painting the walls when the only thing that matters at this moment in time is the leaky roof.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I'm not questioning finding skill, that's not point. my point is that you can't win with a cup with a small team. have a look at Florida and Edm's roster.
Check out Vegas' roster.
I couldn’t agree more

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Except the leaky roof is actually the missing pieces in the top-6 and your focused on re-painting the walls when the only thing that matters at this moment in time is the leaky roof.
My premise is we don't get the right pieces this off season
That has been my conjecture the entire time going back to March/April.
I doubt we find exactly what we want for our top six this off season but I also know we can't stand pat.
It's obvious we have plenty of holes yet to fill.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
This past week, Lapresse talked about Ottawa being open to trade their 7th draft pick and today, i've read the same about the 6th selection of Utah .

What kind of deal Hughes may offer to get one or both of those draft selections ? imagine getting the 5th-6th and 7th draft picks :laugh::laugh::laugh: . I think it would be the first time ever that all the fans of the Habs forum would all be happy
Anderson +Armia + Price + Evans + Savard + Winnipeg first for Krouse and Utah first. Heck, add Norlinder and Ylonen too.

• Haha
Reactions: ZUKI

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Isles have won 6 PO rounds and missed POs 4x since Clutterbuck has been with them.

Habs have won 6 PO rounds and missed POs 5x in that same time span.

Maybe it's not that they are undervalued so much as you are overestimating the impact they have :dunno:

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm not questioning finding skill, that's not my point. My point is that you can't win a cup with a small team. have a look at Florida and Edm's roster.
Check out Vegas' roster.
Panthers top 2 dmen are 6' under 200lbs

Habs had a considerably heavier top 9 than the Panthers this year... Panthers only have 3 of their top 9 forwards over 200lbs. Habs had 7 (with 8th at 199).

Did you look closely at the Panthers roster?

• Haha
Reactions: rve24

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Panthers top 2 dmen are 6' under 200lbs

Habs had a considerably heavier top 9 than the Panthers this year... Panthers only have 3 of their top 9 forwards over 200lbs. Habs had 7 (with 8th at 199).

Did you look closely at the Panthers roster?
Ekblad is like 8'40 and plays like biggest p***y ever while Gallagher is 4'5 on a good day and plays like a Wish Version of Scott Stevens.

Skill , IQ > Size/Weight

We should pick the player with the skills and then if we need some beef , the trade deadline is why it exists!

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs can sign a substantial player each of next 4 off seasons. We have 7 million in caproom to this summer. In '25 around 20 million coming off the books. Price is done in '26, Anderson/Gallagher in '27. Or trade for star

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

I bet almost none of us would be happy. The cost of those 2 picks would be shocking, and most would be pissed HuGo gave up the assets....

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Habs can sign a substantial player each of next 4 off seasons. We have 7 million in caproom to this summer. In '25 around 20 million coming off the books. Price is done in '26, Anderson/Gallagher in '27. Or trade for star
Some of that money needs to be used on new contracts for the young guys - - Slaf, Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Dach, etc.

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad