HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Not sure either deal works for other side...

Buying out Skinner would hurt, but not sure Barron, 26th & 3yrs of 4.5M dead cap is a better alternative for them.

Easy yes for us imo. Skinner at 4.5M is a good top 9 addition to bolster secondary scoring. 11OA in this draft would be a great add.

Atkinson is like adding Pearson... Obvious yes to move up from 26 to 12.

Id do both from our side without hesitation
Maybe Skinner would continue to be a Habs' killer, but this time by not scoring anymore…...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Floating a couple of trade ideas:
  1. Barron and #26 for Buffalo's #11 and Skinner (50% salary retention). Skinner is 32 years old and has a 9M AAV for three more years. He has a history of bouncing back from bad seasons. At 4.5M it wouldn't be too much of a burden and potentially fills a top 6 spot. Not sure if Buffalo would do it but I've heard they are considering buying out Skinner
  2. #26 for Philadelphia's #12 and Cam Atkinson (1 year remaining with a 5.875M cap hit). No salary retention. Same idea as the Skinner proposal, Habs take a bad contract in return for the 1st round pick. At 35 years old and coming off a 13 goal season, Atkinson is probably done

Something around Anderson and Atkinson would work. Freeing up Anderson's cap hit 2 years early would be the key, plus for Anderson he played some of his best hockey for Tortorella so he could fit better in Philly.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It would be 3 years of dead cap space for Buf but it's also 3 years of 4.5M cap savings for them.
Yeah, at pretty significant draft capital cost (missing out on a Catton, Helenius, Sennecke, Yaremchuk caliber prospect).

The risk for us is that Skinner doesn't rebound, in which case it would be like turning the clock back and taking Dvorak all over again.
Minimal risk there imo. Even if he stays at a ~40pt pace player, that's solid value at 4.5M in the rising cap environment.

His skating and skill set are better fit to our top 9 than Dvorak (or Gally or Anderson)... Not much risk to him being the dead weight they represent imo

Buffalo also needs a RD to pair with their elite left side (Dahlin, Power, Byram)
True, though not sure Barron's a good fit for any of them. All 4 would be better paired with a defensively sound/conservative dman
The % of salary retention on Skinner could also be negotiated
Yup... I'd take on more of the hit without blinking an eye if it gets us the 11OA (& I'm a bigger fan of Barron's potential than most)

Reactions: The Little Viking

The Little Viking

Jul 7, 2017
Austin TX
Yeah, at pretty significant draft capital cost (missing out on a Catton, Helenius, Sennecke, Yaremchuk caliber prospect).
It's a package deal
Minimal risk there imo. Even if he stays at a ~40pt pace player, that's solid value at 4.5M in the rising cap environment.

His skating and skill set are better fit to our top 9 than Dvorak (or Gally or Anderson)... Not much risk to him being the dead weight they represent imo
Agreed that Skinner could be an asset but at 32 years old the chances are high that he'll continue to decline

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Floating a couple of trade ideas:
  1. Barron and #26 for Buffalo's #11 and Skinner (50% salary retention). Skinner is 32 years old and has a 9M AAV for three more years. He has a history of bouncing back from bad seasons. At 4.5M it wouldn't be too much of a burden and potentially fills a top 6 spot. Not sure if Buffalo would do it but I've heard they are considering buying out Skinner
  2. #26 for Philadelphia's #12 and Cam Atkinson (1 year remaining with a 5.875M cap hit). No salary retention. Same idea as the Skinner proposal, Habs take a bad contract in return for the 1st round pick. At 35 years old and coming off a 13 goal season, Atkinson is probably done
Skinner has NMC and there is no reason for him to waive it. If BUF decided to buy him out, they still pay him 67% of his contract. Which means he will loose 7,3M. He can still easily sign a new contract 3x2,45M and he will be flat.

I think the days when we accepted garbage contracts (Monahan, Pearson) are over. The basics of our team are built and we are looking forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: salbutera

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Skinner has NMC and there is no reason for him to waive it. If BUF decided to buy him out, they still pay him 67% of his contract. Which means he will loose 7,3M. He can still easily sign a new contract 3x2,45M and he will be flat.

I think the days when we accepted garbage contracts (Monahan, Pearson) are over. The basics of our team are built and we are looking forward.
How are the basics of our team built? We have no #1D, #1G, and little to no scoring lol

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I agree we probably aren't looking to take on a dead weight contract just for the picks/prospects that go with the cap dump. But we probably would consider a cap dump if we believed the player could still come in and put up 50+ points. So Skinner at 50% where he puts up 50ish point for the next couple years until whoever we draft at 5th OA is ready to take over would make a degree of sense if you believed Skinner would provide that level of offence. But I doubt Skinner would waive so it's kind of a moot point.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
How are the basics of our team built? We have no #1D, #1G, and little to no scoring lol
Well, our first line is probably the youngest in the league. We can even form a 2nd line with young kids Roy-Dach-Newhook. 1G might be true, but we already have Fowler and maybe Vorokhin in the pipeline. How many teams have true 1D and who are they? Hedman, Makar, Heiskanen, Josi?, Fox?, Q.Hughes? Hint: Do you see anyone from Panthers, Oilers, Vegas who is a true 1D. Those are cup finalist from last two years. Can any of Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux ever reach the level of Pietrangelo/Theodore, Montour/Forsling or Bouchard/Ekholm?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Well, our first line is probably the youngest in the league. We can even form a 2nd line with young kids Roy-Dach-Newhook. 1G might be true, but we already have Fowler and maybe Vorokhin in the pipeline. How many teams have true 1D and who are they? Hedman, Makar, Heiskanen, Josi?, Fox?, Q.Hughes? Hint: Do you see anyone from Panthers, Oilers, Vegas who is a true 1D. Those are cup finalist from last two years. Can any of Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux ever reach the level of Pietrangelo/Theodore, Montour/Forsling or Bouchard/Ekholm?
Makar
Hughes
Josi
Toews
Fox
Pietro
Bouchard
Heiskanen
McAvoy
Rielly
Karlsson
Hedman
Dahlin
Dobson
Morissey
Seider
Theodore
Ekblad
Slavin
Werenski

Fowler is our best shot at a starter for sure, but our D is not high end unless Guhle, Hutson, or Reinbacher pan out perfectly

The Little Viking

Jul 7, 2017
Austin TX

The NMC is a factor yes. If I were in Skinner's shoes, the chance to play for Marty and the chance to play with Suzuki or Dach would be worth considering. As well as living in Montreal instead of Buffalo.

The taxes would be a negative though

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
it worked out that way but the Bozo actually thought Gallagher and Anderson WERE top of the l;ineup.

Gallagher WAS top of the lineup, the contract just aged awfully. Anderson was because the team wanted size, speed and hands instead of vision, awareness and hockey IQ. And he didn't think they were top of the lineup, because those players cost even more.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Something around Anderson and Atkinson would work. Freeing up Anderson's cap hit 2 years early would be the key, plus for Anderson he played some of his best hockey for Tortorella so he could fit better in Philly.
And why would Philly add 2 yrs??
JA best year with Clb he got 47. CA was on the team and got 69.
Will keep CA and you keep the lesser player with 2 more years.
Thanks for nothing.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Which furthers illustrates the point that focusing on getting good bottom-6 players is basically meaningless for a rebuilding team because even when you get a good one like Goodrow was, it only lasts 2-3 years and then you have to fix your bottom-6 again on top of them likely pricing themselves out of what you ideally want to pay your bottom-6.

The real baffling move is giving them anything beyond 2-3 years in term.

Since when do jabronis get 6 year deals at 3.5M AVV?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
reading this page, it seems some want to trade Arber and add 5'8 atkinson (35) and soft Skinner (32) to a lineup that includes Gallagher, RHP, Caufield, Newhook, hutson, Harris etc...
MA Godin had a piece this week about the Stars draft wizardry. What stuck out for me was the Dallas scout who discussed player profiles and mentioned Logan Stankoven who at 5'8 plays big and was the reason they drafted and developed him. He also said, you can't have more than 1 or 2 of these guys on your team if you expect to go anywhere.

Sometimes I fail to see the logic in team building of some of you guys.

Reactions: Jack Skellington

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
reading this page, it seems some want to trade Arber and add 5'8 atkinson (35) and soft Skinner (32) to a lineup that includes Gallagher, RHP, Caufield, Newhook, hutson, Harris etc...
MA Godin had a piece this week about the Stars draft wizardry. What stuck out for me was the Dallas scout who discussed player profiles and mentioned Logan Stankoven who at 5'8 plays big and was the reason they drafted and developed him. He also said, you can't have more than 1 or 2 of these guys on your team if you expect to go anywhere.

A lot of people here are hyper focused on acquiring mediocrity, the same strategy we’ve had basically since the offseason where we brought in Gionta and co

Can we just try to get some high end talent for once? We have enough bozo bottom 6 players to last the next 100 years

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
The NMC is a factor yes. If I were in Skinner's shoes, the chance to play for Marty and the chance to play with Suzuki or Dach would be worth considering. As well as living in Montreal instead of Buffalo.

The taxes would be a negative though
He is from Toronto, he wanted to be as close as possible from what I remember from the trade back then.

The Little Viking

Jul 7, 2017
Austin TX

A lot of people here are hyper focused on acquiring mediocrity, the same strategy we’ve had basically since the offseason where we brought in Gionta and co

Can we just try to get some high end talent for once? We have enough bozo bottom 6 players to last the next 100 years
We're not seeking out Skinner/Atkinson. It's taking bad contracts in return for something of high value (#11 or #12 pick)

Reactions: BoneHutson

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

This team and fan base has stagnated for so long, had so little elite talent for so long that mediocrity has taken root and become as goal to attain rather than the bare minimum to achieve.

I think management thinks bigger than past management could even conceive and I hope it cascades down to the fans. Dream bigger, demand better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad