HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm not sure why you say the Habs are not competing. I don't think that's how they feel.
The players are tired of losing. MSL is tired of losing. Everybody is tired of losing. It's time to take the next step.

I agree that they must not force a deal if there's not one to be had.
Not just because they had opportunities with Dach and Newhook the last 2 years that another opportunity will present itself again this summer.

That said, they must try to improve in other ways if they can't make a trade or two.
That 15M+ of cap space can't go to waste again. Overpay for UFAs on short term contracts if they have to.
There have been reports that's what their plan is and i believe them. Makes sense.
They can be tired of losing but they are not in the same level of talent of the top teams in the league. Not saying they will still finish bottom 5, they will improve but they won’t be in the playoff next year

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
They can be tired of losing but they are not in the same level of talent of the top teams in the league. Not saying they will still finish bottom 5, they will improve but they won’t be in the playoff next year

They shouldn't be but these kind of statement should be made in September, not in June before the draft, before UFA and before the actual team is assemble. Team will be a lot different next year.....and although they won't compete with Florida or NYR, I think they can compete with WC middle of the pack team depending on what happens this summer.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
A lot depends on goaltending and team defense, where getting rid of Allen is probably addition by subtraction. Then factor in a year of Dach, who's been snakebitten, and hopefully a PP uptick if Hutson sticks. Hopefully that maps to fewer 1-goal losses and a bit more belief.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
They shouldn't be but these kind of statement should be made in September, not in June before the draft, before UFA and before the actual team is assemble. Team will be a lot different next year.....and although they won't compete with Florida or NYR, I think they can compete with WC middle of the pack team depending on what happens this summer.
This. Anyone though that Washington was going to make the playoffs this year? Flyers almost made it as well with that team.

Let's wait and see what KH do before saying this team will suck next year.

What if they add a defenceman like Roy/Pesce and a player like Ehlers up front, are they really far from catching Washington/Buffalo or Philadelphia?

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
A lot depends on goaltending and team defense, where getting rid of Allen is probably addition by subtraction. Then factor in a year of Dach, who's been snakebitten, and hopefully a PP uptick if Hutson sticks. Hopefully that maps to fewer 1-goal losses and a bit more belief.

I doubt that trading Allen has any effect. Montreal's goaltending overperformed expectation and even Allen wasn't really a negative in Montreal. People are really ignoring how bad Montreal performed defensively last season.

People really need to stop prognosticating anything more than minor progression (unless the team goes crazy in the offseason). This is now the 3rd offseason of relentless takes that they wont finish bottom 5. And while its finally likely to be true, they're still most likely that they will be a bottom-10 team.

Reactions: EXPOS123

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Prepare your self to be disappointed then, we don’t have a playoff caliber team
And Washington was a playoff caliber team this year? Or Philly, or Detroit or Buffalo? Like I'm not sure how those teams can be considered drastically better then us on paper when everyone is healthy. Bad teams compete for playoff spots all the time.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And Washington was a playoff caliber team this year? Or Philly, or Detroit or Buffalo? Like I'm not sure how those teams can be considered drastically better then us on paper when everyone is healthy. Bad teams compete for playoff spots all the time.
Unless Habs lose core players to injury for majority of the season, like Dach last year, and HuGo not improving top-6 with an acquisition - they will be without a doubt be in the hunt for a wildcard spot.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Unless Habs lose core players to injury for majority of the season, like Dach last year, and HuGo not improving top-6 with an acquisition - they will be without a doubt be in the hunt for a wildcard spot.
Which is true for any team and is basically irrelevant to consider when comparing teams during the offseason. Players getting injured, having career years, going cold for long stretches, etc... how it all breaks good and bad will determine who ultimately makes the playoffs. But in the offseason all you have is the on paper comparison and today using that comparison we are in the mix with those bubble eastern conference teams. Once the games are actually played results tend to differ from what they were on paper, sometimes exceeding expectations and sometimes coming in well below, there's no way of knowing which it will be in the offseason because much of it is luck.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I doubt that trading Allen has any effect. Montreal's goaltending overperformed expectation and even Allen wasn't really a negative in Montreal. People are really ignoring how bad Montreal performed defensively last season.

People really need to stop prognosticating anything more than minor progression (unless the team goes crazy in the offseason). This is now the 3rd offseason of relentless takes that they wont finish bottom 5. And while its finally likely to be true, they're still most likely that they will be a bottom-10 team.

Hmmm, I think injuries played a huge role in the last 2 years, and it might again next year for all we know, but with Dach last year in the line-up, I don't think we finish bottom 10....3 more wins last season and we finished out of the bottom 10.

We were 7-8 wins away from being in the discussion for WC.

How many wins a healthy Dach add.....with a healthy Newhook.....and the addition of Hutson.....and maybe a top 5 pick this season, and maybe another trade a la Newhook/Dach ?

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Hmmm, I think injuries played a huge role in the last 2 years, and it might again next year for all we know, but with Dach last year in the line-up, I don't think we finish bottom 10....3 more wins last season and we finished out of the bottom 10.

We were 7-8 wins away from being in the discussion for WC.

How many wins a healthy Dach add.....with a healthy Newhook.....and the addition of Hutson.....and maybe a top 5 pick this season, and maybe another trade a la Newhook/Dach ?
Totally agree .They weren't out of a lot of games last year .Few good additions and health will be huge... plus all the kids getting more experience will only make them better .

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

We were 8 wins away from being in the discussion for WC.

There's a Point Share stat that tries to show how a player has on team points. It's my no means perfect but to give an idea last season they attributed Suzuki with 7.3, Caufield with 6.3, meanwhile Dach was at 0.2, Slafkovsky was at 3.7 and Newhook at 2.8.

So if you think a healthy Dach can provide a Caufield level impact that's 6 points, Slaf being productive for the whole season instead of just half the season probably gives you another 3 points. That alone probably puts us into the WC race and there's obviously a lot of others that can maybe get an extra point or two like Newhook, Roy, plus young guys that could break out.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Which is true for any team and is basically irrelevant to consider when comparing teams during the offseason. Players getting injured, having career years, going cold for long stretches, etc... how it all breaks good and bad will determine who ultimately makes the playoffs. But in the offseason all you have is the on paper comparison and today using that comparison we are in the mix with those bubble eastern conference teams. Once the games are actually played results tend to differ from what they were on paper, sometimes exceeding expectations and sometimes coming in well below, there's no way of knowing which it will be in the offseason because much of it is luck.
Really? I don’t think SJS, Chi have any hope of being in the hunt for wildcard spot, even with a perfectly healthy lineup

Reactions: Habs10Habs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm actually not that high on Necas. I consider him a very strong middle 6F and I think who he is today is what you get. The development growth is done. I am interested in acquiring though. Why? Because I have top 9 strategy vs top 6 strategy. And if the cost is Matheson/26th OA, I consider it. Our next two seasons are more transition and with Matheson, it's not helping any development or growth from our Suzuki and under core. All Matheson does is fill a spot until others are ready. So what is our strategy here? Short term gains with Matheson or long term vision with Necas? I do like Necas's size/skating/shot. He works hard shift after shift. Is that a Brindamour effect or not? Not sure. The only part that scares me big time is the contract Necas might ask for. Us fans would not know this pre trade but our GM can find that out.

Are you re-signing Matheson after two more years at age 32? If he continues this pace, he's going to want that 6+ year term and big AAV. What do you think our long term vision is with having Matheson for two more seasons?
Long-term vision is a playoff team with internal replacements OVER TIME as some guys age out while others AGE IN.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
That’s what I think too. Where not competing this year so don’t force a deal and stay patient
Agree with you completely. I think if there is room and a desire to add an outside body, it will be an overpaid player from a contender on a 1 or 2 year deal that KH will get a sweetener to take the contract to create space and cap on their roster.

Reactions: Vachon23

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not sure why you say the Habs are not competing. I don't think that's how they feel.
The players are tired of losing. MSL is tired of losing. Everybody is tired of losing. It's time to take the next step.

I agree that they must not force a deal if there's not one to be had.
Not just because they had opportunities with Dach and Newhook the last 2 years that another opportunity will present itself again this summer.

That said, they must try to improve in other ways if they can't make a trade or two.
That 15M+ of cap space can't go to waste again. Overpay for UFAs on short term contracts if they have to.
There have been reports that's what their plan is and i believe them. Makes sense.
For example, say Marchessault comes for 2 yeasrs and scores 60 goals combined. By year three, perhaps Joshua Roy is ready to score 30.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
What if the Habs facilitate a 3 team Laine trade and retain 50% to swap 4 and 5 picks with CBJ?

Edit on second thought I'm not sure it's worth it unless they LOVE Lindstrom

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I won't unequivocally declare that the Habs are gonna make the playoffs before even knowing what the team will look like next season. That would be setting myself up to potentially look very dumb in a year's time.

I'm just saying it's not impossible. And i'm not talking about competing for the Cup.

People being tired of losing means that they will make real efforts to improve the team. Not just being content of tanking or letting the young guys develop and see where it goes.
They could potentially add a whole second line compared to last season and push down all the other forwards into a chair that is more appropriate for them.
That'd make a huge difference.

We'll see...

Reactions: Naslundforever

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
This. Anyone though that Washington was going to make the playoffs this year? Flyers almost made it as well with that team.

Let's wait and see what KH do before saying this team will suck next year.

What if they add a defenceman like Roy/Pesce and a player like Ehlers up front, are they really far from catching Washington/Buffalo or Philadelphia?
Flyers let go of 6 players before last season: Hayes, JVR, provorov, DeAngelo, Braun, Allison + lost Hart so used different goalies.

Habs will go with pretty much same goalies (Allen played 21), same 8 dmen (maybe 1 of Mailloux-Hutson-Reinbacher sticks), same fwds minus Monahan?

Same players mean same results. Maybe Suzuki gets injured instead of Dach… Maybe Montambeault goes down then what…

Reactions: Blame the referee

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
habs are not a playoff team at this moment.
If you go on capfriendly right now , we pretty much have the same team , which had mostly Dach injured this year.

If Suzuki was to be injured ( god bless his iron streak) Montreal would probably be battling with Chicago or San Jose in the bottom this upcoming season.

Even if we get a 2nd winger and Dach back this team is not close to a playoff spot.
Too many holes to patches still , will take another year or two

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
habs are not a playoff team at this moment.
If you go on capfriendly right now , we pretty much have the same team , which had mostly Dach injured this year.

If Suzuki was to be injured ( god bless his iron streak) Montreal would probably be battling with Chicago or San Jose in the bottom this upcoming season.

Even if we get a 2nd winger and Dach back this team is not close to a playoff spot.
Too many holes to patches still , will take another year or two
It's pretty rare for any player to miss the almost the whole season like Dach, so yeah Suzuki might get injured but chances are he would still play something like 50 games much like Newhook or Caufield the year before.

And yeah there are lots of holes especially if a key player is injured, but just look at the teams that compete for the WC spot, they have many holes and patches too

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
It's pretty rare for any player to miss the almost the whole season like Dach, so yeah Suzuki might get injured but chances are he would still play something like 50 games much like Newhook or Caufield the year before.

And yeah there are lots of holes especially if a key player is injured, but just look at the teams that compete for the WC spot, they have many holes and patches too
idk 15 points behind #1 wc and 6 teams battling above you for it... I think we have alot to fixes that some teams above are way further than us.

Dvorak Evans Pezetta Rnhp Armia Gallagher in the bottom 6 again zzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium