HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Would the Rags sell him for the value of a third liner? I suspect the asking would still be inflated by his draft pedigree.
That may well be the case.

The Rangers appear to have about 10M$ in cap space, with 3-4 players to sign, Lindgren (3.6M) and Kakko (2.4M) needing at least 6M$ for their QO & Schneider likely getting a raise bigger than his 900K QO.

Doable, but if they want to make any upgrades, or keep cap flex for Shesterkin, Miller, Laf & Cuylle raises in '25 summer, Kakko for picks/prospects makes a lot of sense.

Will their asking price be low enough? Will Drury make a deal with us/Gorton without needing a premium that exceeds other offers? No idea.

It's worth kicking the tires imo

Reactions: 26Mats and Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Lomberg's been a one man demolition crew tonight. I'd be more concerned about his age than his size. He's tougher than nails and has balls the size of Saturn.

I love Florida's bottom 6. They don't put up a lot of points but they wear teams down and get in their heads.
When he was on the ice, he was everywhere.................must have been drinking Red Bull on the bench.
He had a great game.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Grit and toughness worked so well the year we got King, Ott and Martinsen...

What we still need first and foremost is skill. After that, we can upgrade on the grit element in our bottom 6.
Its not one or the other, you need both in a player. You look at the final 4 teams, their best players have skills AND grit, pretty much everybody is finishing their check and goIng to dirty areas. You need grit and toughness with the players who play 15min or more a night not 5mins

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Its not one or the other, you need both in a player. You look at the final 4 teams, their best players have skills AND grit, pretty much everybody is finishing their check and goong to dirty areas. You need grit and toughness with the players who play 15min or more a night not 5mins

Of course, but skill comes first or you won't even make it to the playoffs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Kakko would be a nice project in theory, but when guys like Anderson and Gallagher aren't going anywhere, it's tough to make room for him.
Yeah the time for projects has passed IMO. We need to make clean cuts and fill the holes with quality.
Kakko doesn't seem to have what it takes to be effective in the 82 game NHL. I just don't see it stylistically in terms of where we are weak. He puts up about 20 points when he plays his average of 60 games.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Its not one or the other, you need both in a player. You look at the final 4 teams, their best players have skills AND grit, pretty much everybody is finishing their check and goong to dirty areas. You need grit and toughness with the players who play 15min or more a night not 5mins
Yep, very important distinction. It's why the Leafs lose every year, because their skill guys are made of toilet paper.

You can have the Core 4 and 8 Tom Wilsons in your Forward group, you're still not winning in the playoffs.

Reactions: Simarino

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That may well be the case.

The Rangers appear to have about 10M$ in cap space, with 3-4 players to sign, Lindgren (3.6M) and Kakko (2.4M) needing at least 6M$ for their QO & Schneider likely getting a raise bigger than his 900K QO.

Doable, but if they want to make any upgrades, or keep cap flex for Shesterkin, Miller, Laf & Cuylle raises in '25 summer, Kakko for picks/prospects makes a lot of sense.

Will their asking price be low enough? Will Drury make a deal with us/Gorton without needing a premium that exceeds other offers? No idea.

It's worth kicking the tires imo
Like Laine. No thank you.
There is enough of a track record on both those guys to understand this isn't going to help us where we are weak.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Calling it now, Necas will be a Hab.

I hope we go with a different option. He will command and big salary and long term and Im not sure hes the guy we need. Would prefer to try Laine who will be cheaper to acquire and he will only have a 2 years contract. If he doesnt work out we can recoup some value trading him when at the deadline on his last contract year.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Good quote

As former Canadien Chris Nilan said several times this season on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out Show, the team needs “more men.”

The intensity and physicality in the playoffs is always above and beyond what we see during the regular season. As former Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin liked to say, there are some players who get you to the playoffs and some who get you through the playoffs.
I mean the team is full of kids so there’s not many men. A vet or 2 would help them become “men” though

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don’t hate the idea of Laine as a buy low candidate, I prefer his upside over Zegras

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Calling it now, Necas will be a Hab.
I think there might be a bidding war to get him in trade, and unless we are willing to pay very big bucks for a long term, his time here may be as bad a fit as PLD was in Winnipeg (on BPM Sports they were chating 7 years at $7.0-7.5M, ending age 32).

The Dach trade made so much sense becauswe wohnly had to give up Roman a 3rd and a 4th for him, and we wigned himn for four year at $3.363M ending one year BEFORE he goes UFA.

For Newhook, we gave up less and also got an RFA-terminating 4 year deal for under $3M.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Laine has no upside.
His upside would be for him to reclaim his old form

I don’t get the talks for Laine, are we living in the past?

Hes only 26 and a surefire 30 goals scorer per season if he manage to stay healthy. Wouldnt cost much and only have a 2 season contract. Its an interesting gamble with very low risk if he doesnt pan out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad