HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You clearly don't have a clue what I'm implying So stop trying to speculate.
My stance is very clear Laine is not even close to what I want in a top 6 addition.
You seem to think otherwise which surprises me. You are generally more astute.
If you think Laine is a good option for us you aren't as bright as I thought you were.
I would rather have Trevor Zegras and I don't like him at all.
Lol
You didn't mean what you wrote, now you are feeling flustered and resorting to personal attacks.

Bad takes will do that, have a tissue
🤧

Laine likely isn't getting traded, so you can probably sleep safe

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I hope the Habs trade their 2025 UFAs at some point.
I am sure they will try, my only question is if the last retention spot will yield a better return used on Savard or to retain cap as a third party on a big ticket trade like Marner at 50%? If Hughes isn't signing any big UFA's. Retaining 50% on Marner is 5.5M against the cap but only $500k in real money. Should be worth a lot to a contender or team pressing to make the playoffs.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
that is... ambitious and passionate lol

I think the term of those players is a major issue here because it will get in the way of signing the youngsters once their contracts come to term. Also, I feel it goes against the rebuild; it takes some chairs that you wont be able to give to your youngsters below. I can see a Monahan as a veteran type to support the team, or a winger to solidify the top 6, but not adding basically 2 lines to your existing core. I also question the impact on your current captain. Finally, this leaves you with what.. 25 M to pay/sign your D core and goalies?

I think shedding those Armia, Gally, Anderson and Dvo contracts, but i think Dvo stays unless we sign someone else to take 3C.
The impact on Suzuki will be tremendous. Imagine playing with Reinhart and Stamkos. As for Toffoli and Monahan, they are former Habs. Hypothetically, all these UFAs will be coming here as support type players. Apart from Reinhart and Stamkos, I wouldn't sign the other UFAs long term. As for the youngsters, it will give them time to develop in the AHL. The only issue is signing the D core as you mentionned with Guhle. We have yet to see what Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson and Struble are made of. Matheson gets traded for futures. Lastly, Harris, Kovacevic, Norlinder and Barron will also be dealt at some point while it would be foolish to give Xhekaj anything above 3 mil/yr. With the cap rising, I don't see an issue. Can Slaf continue on where he left off next season?

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Playing in a toxic room with winnipeg and a boring hockey city like columbus, id probably be tired of playing hockey rn. Not making excuses, but Laine is one helluva sniper, playing in a passionate city like ours and playing with Dach might unleash the old Laine. If the jackets retain some salary, id try my luck with Laine. I remembered some people were mad that we traded romanov/13oa for dach.
Literally the exact same excuses used for Pierre Luc-DoNothing.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
to think people were seeing Drouin as a bust...:rolly: lol
Indeed... One team's coal is another team's diamond

Our coach should be all the reminder anyone needs not to mistake early 20's output for definitive conclusion of a player's potential.

4 yrs of college and 4 years pro before he matched Kakko's 40pt 22 year old output.

And now cue the inevitable "WUT, you think Kakko is going to be better than MSL!!! You so stoopid yo" from the peanut gallery.

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
In an ideal world, the Habs find a way to shed Armia, Gally, Anderson and Dvo this off season. They no longer fit in the team's future and belong in the BargainBin panic move blunder dumpster. Everyone needs to move on from that era finally.
That Anderson contract is aging terribly and I called it from day one. Guy was 26 and never reached 50 points prior to being acquired in his career. And even with the Habs, his numbers are disastrous for the salary he's commanding. Gally was a great soldier for the Habs once upon a time where offence was low throughout the league. Right now, he's got no value. Armia and Dvo, same. For the last two, you will be lucky to get a 7th round pick. Most teams are cap stricken and are looking to unload similar terribad players. Not even sure you get picks for any of them anymore. Instead you trade them for similar bad type of contracts.

This off season is a great one with big names that we haven't seen in a while. A few are former Habs who performed well, including one that had a rebound with the Avs because he stunk in MTL.

My dream is to get Stamkos, Reinhart, Marchessault, Perron, Toffoli and Monahan signed. Off course, it won't happen. Guys like Evans and Pezzetta are easily repaceable. However, I'm salivating all over at the thought of having this forward group next season:

Caufield (7.850) Suzuki (7.875) Slafkovski
(0.950)
Toffoli (6.0) Stamkos (6.0) Reinhart (9.0)
Marchessault (6.0) Dach (3.3625) Newhook (2.9)
RHP (1.1) Monahan (3.0) Perron (4.0)
Roy/Beck (around 0.9)

Incredibly, you still fit under the cap with caproom to spare by ridding yourself also of Price, Kovacevic and Savard. And this is how how build a playoff team. Again, with this all hypothetical but one can always dream.
Way too small soft.

Size, toughness, grit, tenacity and strength is a very important aspect of any playoffs team successes.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Way too small soft.

Size, toughness, grit, tenacity and strength is a very important aspect of any playoffs team successes.
We all know the possibility of any canadian team winning a Cup is slim to none. Seems like everything is rigged as long as Bettman runs the show, so forget about the playoff grit. At least, you get a team that can go maybe 2 - 3 rounds tops every year with a great spectacle during the season.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Minnesota could trade their pick for Cheka and 26th? Maybe trade Marco Rossi and 13th?

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Way too small soft.

I agree but look at Florida. They dominate, they're beasts. but they're not big. They are small in terms of height. 25th in the league I read on the main boards

Nevermind I misread lol

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Sign Ryan lomberg this offseason

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 10.00.02 PM.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A 3rd line of Roy - Monahan - Kakko could be pretty damn great, especially if Roy/Kakko made positive progression
Would the Rags sell him for the value of a third liner? I suspect the asking would still be inflated by his draft pedigree.

Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad