HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Sergachev played 2 games in the playoffs. 1 assist and a -3. I didn't watch those games so not sure how he looked and if he was 100% healthy.

I think he is a bit overrated to be honest. He's not really that good in his own end but yeah, he's attractive in terms of his skating, puck moving, and shot from the point.

-16 over 34 games was the worse on the team. Pretty close to 50/50 zone starts. Over the last 3 seasons, Sergachev was a fair bit behind in +/- when compared to McDonagh, Cernak, Rutta, Hedman. Pretty sure Tampa took back McDonagh to have him play more D zone starts and Sergachev can have more offensive zone starts.

Would Sergachev have the Habs on his 16 team NTC?
Whatever Sergachev is, he's a multiple-time Cup winne and he's at least better than Matheson overall. Guess what, he's only turning 26 next month. This season was the only season he finished in the minus in terms of +/-...

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Leaves the Habs with 600k. Pretty much kills their offseason. It would be better that they sent someone, like Dvorak back to allow the Habs to have some space just incase.
400k, but if you consider Price on LTIR it is 10,9M actually. No problem for Hughes to accept the whole contract which would definitely lower the acquisition costs in potential trade.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Apparently it's looking like Kakko will be a healthy scratch tonight.

He could be an intriguing buy low option this summer if the rumors of the Rangers not wanting to trade with us aren't true.

Reactions: DAChampion

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

He could be an intriguing buy low option this summer if the rumors of the Rangers not wanting to trade with us aren't true.
he is a 2019 pick- we do seem to like accumulating those. He may need a change in scenery

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Whatever Sergachev is, he's a multiple-time Cup winne and he's at least better than Matheson overall. Guess what, he's only turning 26 next month. This season was the only season he finished in the minus in terms of +/-...

He was a good piece that helped them win a cup but that doesn't measure how good/bad he is IMO. I just don't think he is as good as some thinks he is. He's a top 4D, not a top pairing stud. I think he holds his own in the D zone but it's not his strength and you would think someone his size would be more effective in that area.

Tampa is not doing that deal.

We have enough cap space to take on Laine contract without sending money the other way

Sure but the Jackets can use a center like Dvorak and we could use the cap flexibility.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
He was a good piece that helped them win a cup but that doesn't measure how good/bad he is IMO. I just don't think he is as good as some thinks he is. He's a top 4D, not a top pairing stud. I think he holds his own in the D zone but it's not his strength and you would think someone his size would be more effective in that area.
Okay, now use the same rubric to describe Matheson.

What Montreal needs is players who get scratched in the playoffs. That'll push us right over the edge and into contention.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Okay, now use the same rubric to describe Matheson.

What Montreal needs is players who get scratched in the playoffs. That'll push us right over the edge and into contention.

I mean... if you can get him for let say Harris.... why not? He may not be a top 6 player, but can you turn him into an effective 3rd line W??

Fact that he's scratch now isn't THAT big of a deal to be honest.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess we should offload Caufield asap since he was benched by Ducharme in the playoffs 🤷

Caufield wasn't benched for long in the playoffs. His playoff performance was not in question, the Ducharme/Caufield failure came the following 1st half of the season before MSL was hired.

Sorry, but I pass on Kakko. He is who he is at this point (like Kotkaniemi). We need to shoot higher than this or stay put. That's how I see it.

What are you thinking Kakko might cost in a trade?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Kakko is a bust , let's just not

I guess we should offload Caufield asap since he was benched by Ducharme in the playoffs 🤷
Ducharme also had the history of stats and had mediocrity records on his short appearance. Also got axed and right after Caufield started playing good again. Ducharme is probably the worst coach we ever had

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
He may be, but if we're looking to take a flier on a player then he could be interesting. He's been buried on a fairly stacked roster, a change of scenery could be what he needs, and if he comes at a relatively low price then I think it could be worth a gamble.
He also had multiple chances to shine with good teammates even Lafrenière managed to shine even playing on a third line.

Anyways to have any spots we need to get rid of some players . I would rather have Roy in the lineup than gambling on Kakko.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
How does this argument make sense to justify acquiring Kakko?
The point is that context matters. Just because player x was benched at some point in time doesn't mean he should be an automatic player to avoid.

It's not an argument to acquire Kakko, it's that him getting benched for a game shouldn't completely eliminate the possibility of considering him.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Wow. You know I don't normally agree with your takes but the idea of trading Matheson+ for Sergachev (as long as that plus isn't another asset clearly worth more than Matheson) is such a no-brainer I'm surprised it needs to be debated.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
The point is that context matters. Just because player x was benched at some point in time doesn't mean he should be an automatic player to avoid.

It's not an argument to acquire Kakko, it's that him getting benched for a game shouldn't completely eliminate the possibility of considering him.
I think people need to move on from pegging him as a top 6 talent. I think he ends up as a quality third line player. Nothing wrong with that.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Wow. You know I don't normally agree with your takes but the idea of trading Matheson+ for Sergachev (as long as that plus isn't another asset clearly worth more than Matheson) is such a no-brainer I'm surprised it needs to be debated.
If sergachev was making similar money to matheson then maybe but not at 8.5M.

We are already loaded on LD. No superstars but neither is sergachev. Would rather save that money for guys like Guhle, Slaf, etc, and then trade Matheson for some other package

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad