HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Unless I'm stupid (I am) this is the trade he's talking about right ?

• 4th Overall
  • Laine
for
  • Mailloux
Are you guys seriously saying you wouldn't do this?
When he made that trade offer he was obviously kidding but I didn't think we'd have people seriously say no.

Am I missing something here??
I believe the McCagg proposal is Laine for Jets 26OA + Harris / Struble

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

• 4th Overall
  • Laine
for
  • Mailloux
When he made that trade offer he was obviously kidding but I didn't think we'd have people seriously say no.

Still we draft someone just to trade him before we draft another one. We can't rebuild forever

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Matheson+ for Sergachev is very intersting

I wonder if Sergey is back to 100% though, given his horror injury this year.

Reactions: BoneHutson

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
CLB 1st + Laine for Mailloux , who says no ?
At face value, it looks like a steal for the Habs......until you go and take a gander at how many games Laine has played in the last five seasons. And that's just the regular season. What if his absentee record spills over into the playoffs? I would do it if you switched Harris for Mailloux but the BJs would tell me to dive off the PVM.

• 4th Overall
  • Laine
for
  • Mailloux

Go take a look at how many games he has played the last 5 seasons.

Reactions: Rapala

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Columbus and the Habs make interesting trade partners.............with 4 and 5 possibly interchangeable.
Could there be something where the habs want to move to 4 and the deal is made on the draft floor?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Matheson+ for Sergachev is very intersting

I wonder if Sergey is back to 100% though, given his horror injury this year.

Sergachev played 2 games in the playoffs. 1 assist and a -3. I didn't watch those games so not sure how he looked and if he was 100% healthy.

I think he is a bit overrated to be honest. He's not really that good in his own end but yeah, he's attractive in terms of his skating, puck moving, and shot from the point.

-16 over 34 games was the worse on the team. Pretty close to 50/50 zone starts. Over the last 3 seasons, Sergachev was a fair bit behind in +/- when compared to McDonagh, Cernak, Rutta, Hedman. Pretty sure Tampa took back McDonagh to have him play more D zone starts and Sergachev can have more offensive zone starts.

Would Sergachev have the Habs on his 16 team NTC?

I believe the McCagg proposal is Laine for Jets 26OA + Harris / Struble

McCagg overlooked salary in vs salary out. They would have to take one or both of Anderson/Dvorak.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Q

Mailloux has upside we still haven't seen. I would be careful trading him too early. I am just a fan who knows very little but I did watch Mailloux play 90% of his AHL games, the kid has legit upside.
We all know Mailloux has some upside i like him also im not talking about giving him away but for 4th overall? Thats an easy desicion that im sure even Hughes would take

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We all know Mailloux has some upside i like him also im not talking about giving him away but for 4th overall? Thats an easy desicion that im sure even Hughes would take

What is the conversation? 4th OA and Laine for Mailloux? Done deal and I am a huge Mailloux fan. Imagine getting both Lindstrom and Iggy? I think there would have to be a contract going the other way. I don't see them complaining if it was Dvorak. Laine rebounds with the Habs and we flip him for great value before his contract runs out.

Anyways, I don't see this even sparking a 1 min conversation between the real GM's.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
At face value, it looks like a steal for the Habs......until you go and take a gander at how many games Laine has played in the last five seasons. And that's just the regular season. What if his absentee record spills over into the playoffs? I would do it if you switched Harris for Mailloux but the BJs would tell me to dive off the PVM.

Who cares we are rebuilding Laine’s 2 years contract will not hurt us but drafting #4 and #5 this year could set us for the next decade i seriously cant believe some people are saying no to this trade….

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who cares we are rebuilding Laine’s 2 years contract will not hurt us but drafting #4 and #5 this year could set us for the next decade i seriously cant believe some people are saying no to this trade….

Agreed. Mailloux is a grade A or A- type. Whoever you get with the 4th pick has A+ or blue chip potential. Anyways, this one has very low probability

Jackets are likely looking at Lindstrom hard. Very hard if they think he is a true type center in the NHL.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
In an ideal world, the Habs find a way to shed Armia, Gally, Anderson and Dvo this off season. They no longer fit in the team's future and belong in the BargainBin panic move blunder dumpster. Everyone needs to move on from that era finally.
That Anderson contract is aging terribly and I called it from day one. Guy was 26 and never reached 50 points prior to being acquired in his career. And even with the Habs, his numbers are disastrous for the salary he's commanding. Gally was a great soldier for the Habs once upon a time where offence was low throughout the league. Right now, he's got no value. Armia and Dvo, same. For the last two, you will be lucky to get a 7th round pick. Most teams are cap stricken and are looking to unload similar terribad players. Not even sure you get picks for any of them anymore. Instead you trade them for similar bad type of contracts.

This off season is a great one with big names that we haven't seen in a while. A few are former Habs who performed well, including one that had a rebound with the Avs because he stunk in MTL.

My dream is to get Stamkos, Reinhart, Marchessault, Perron, Toffoli and Monahan signed. Off course, it won't happen. Guys like Evans and Pezzetta are easily repaceable. However, I'm salivating all over at the thought of having this forward group next season:

Caufield (7.850) Suzuki (7.875) Slafkovski
(0.950)
Toffoli (6.0) Stamkos (6.0) Reinhart (9.0)
Marchessault (6.0) Dach (3.3625) Newhook (2.9)
RHP (1.1) Monahan (3.0) Perron (4.0)
Roy/Beck (around 0.9)

Incredibly, you still fit under the cap with caproom to spare by ridding yourself also of Price, Kovacevic and Savard. And this is how how build a playoff team. Again, with this all hypothetical but one can always dream.
that is... ambitious and passionate lol

I think the term of those players is a major issue here because it will get in the way of signing the youngsters once their contracts come to term. Also, I feel it goes against the rebuild; it takes some chairs that you wont be able to give to your youngsters below. I can see a Monahan as a veteran type to support the team, or a winger to solidify the top 6, but not adding basically 2 lines to your existing core. I also question the impact on your current captain. Finally, this leaves you with what.. 25 M to pay/sign your D core and goalies?

I think shedding those Armia, Gally, Anderson and Dvo contracts, but i think Dvo stays unless we sign someone else to take 3C.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

4th overall pick would be the prize my guy, not Laine.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Columbus and the Habs make interesting trade partners.............with 4 and 5 possibly interchangeable.
Could there be something where the habs want to move to 4 and the deal is made on the draft floor?
Trading our pick with colombus seems pretty useless. Either Colombus want the same player we want, they will draft him or they go a different direction and we can draft the player we want. They wont trade us their pick for us to steal the player they are looking to draft, it make no sense

Reactions: Rapala

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Sergachev played 2 games in the playoffs. 1 assist and a -3. I didn't watch those games so not sure how he looked and if he was 100% healthy.

I think he is a bit overrated to be honest. He's not really that good in his own end but yeah, he's attractive in terms of his skating, puck moving, and shot from the point.

-16 over 34 games was the worse on the team. Pretty close to 50/50 zone starts. Over the last 3 seasons, Sergachev was a fair bit behind in +/- when compared to McDonagh, Cernak, Rutta, Hedman. Pretty sure Tampa took back McDonagh to have him play more D zone starts and Sergachev can have more offensive zone starts.

Would Sergachev have the Habs on his 16 team NTC?

McCagg overlooked salary in vs salary out. They would have to take one or both of Anderson/Dvorak.

We have enough cap space to take on Laine contract without sending money the other way

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
We have enough cap space to take on Laine contract without sending money the other way

Leaves the Habs with 600k. Pretty much kills their offseason. It would be better that they sent someone, like Dvorak back to allow the Habs to have some space just incase.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It can be done in another trade if Colombus really dont want any salary back
True, but then they're sending assets to dump Dvorak somewhere else.

Laine isn't worth his contract and isn't getting dealt without retention, taking a contract back, or selling him for cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad