HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Unless I am missing something, the only forward for Dallas under 6’ is Stankoven. Dallas has 4 players in their top 6 with height at 6’2” and over compared to 2 for the Habs.

We can take a look at someone like Connor Garland that has a mix of skills, grit and tenacity and also performs well in the regular season. Unfortunately due to his small size, his effectiveness diminishes considerably in the playoffs.

I have been saying for a few years now to give Riley Tufte a chance. We are not winning at a high level for at least another 2 years.

Also, there are some players with size and toughness we could get this offseason.
Guys like Maroon, Carrick, Carrier, O’Brien or Greer.
Maroon has gotta be considering retirement.

Carrick is a 13th forward.

Carrier might be a good 4th liner.

O'Brien seems like hes well liked in the Arizona/Utah organization and made a nice impact when they went to meet the city, so I imagine he's re-signed.

Greer is alsp a 13th forward.

Playeds with size, who can play tend to cost a premium.

Tufte getting a chance here, or just even for Laval would be amazing.
I know. I wouldn't consider it a move that requires us to re-sign him next summer to be worthwhile to make.

Wouldn't be my first option for top 6 upgrade, but we've got the depth of picks/prospects to make it reasonable to "buy" a 1-year player like that as part of the push to boost the young core.

If by Jan/Feb, we aren't firmly in the PO race, he'd be an easy asset to flip at ge deadline (if healthy, of course). If he fits in well and helps usake the playoffs, mission accomplished.
Might work, but you likely get less than what you paid and then teams are well aware of his ability to not show up in the playoffs and then he tends to get hurt, so it's a real possibility you get very little to nothing for him.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Might work, but you likely get less than what you paid and then teams are well aware of his ability to not show up in the playoffs and then he tends to get hurt, so it's a real possibility you get very little to nothing for him.
Meh. Mantha with retention went for a 2nd this year. No reason to doubt that a healthy Ehlers would return more, especially with retention.

Worst case is injury that takes him out of either helping us make the playoffs or recoup assets... he played 82 games this past year & is in a contract year, so fair to trust he will do everything possible to be in the lineup and contribute.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Unless I am missing something, the only forward for Dallas under 6’ is Stankoven. Dallas has 4 players in their top 6 with height at 6’2” and over compared to 2 for the Habs.

We can take a look at someone like Connor Garland that has a mix of skills, grit and tenacity and also performs well in the regular season. Unfortunately due to his small size, his effectiveness diminishes considerably in the playoffs.

I have been saying for a few years now to give Riley Tufte a chance. We are not winning at a high level for at least another 2 years.

Also, there are some players with size and toughness we could get this offseason.
Guys like Maroon, Carrick, Carrier, O’Brien or Greer.

Duchene, Pavelski, Dadonov, Bourque and Steel are all under 6'0".

Their current top6 is:
Robertson (6'3") - Duchene (5'11") - Pavelski (5'11")
Marchment (6'4") - Seguin (6'1") - Dadonov (5'11")

Reactions: Benstheman

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
im all in to get new players but we need to get rid of the scrap to begin with to make some space.

13 Forwards with Ylonen signed and Dach back. Pezetta as 13th . Not many places to give an opportunity to someone. Wouldn't be surprised that we would run the same lineup for the start of the season which i think would be a mistake. Habs should finish 10th~ in the east this season and not dead last.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
im all in to get new players but we need to get rid of the scrap to begin with to make some space.

13 Forwards with Ylonen signed and Dach back. Pezetta as 13th . Not many places to give an opportunity to someone. Wouldn't be surprised that we would run the same lineup for the start of the season which i think would be a mistake. Habs should finish 10th~ in the east this season and not dead last.
Yup
Dead wood needs to be thrown away

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The other possibility is to use our 2025's draft capital to draft again but it would be risky.

I don't see any actual player that we would be willing to add to 25OA that would get us in that range. Maybe Mailloux but i want to give him his shot with the big club. I like his tools.
Only if it’s a deal breaker. Would much rather deal from redundancy and even, overpay using it.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not dead. Sorry. If you are tired of talking about it, don't fuel it.

* Buy out and Habs sign him for free on a team friendly deal? Possible but not likely. How disappointed are they with him after one year? :dunno:

* Trade? Also not likely. But if the Kings want to get in serious talks. Anderson, Gallagher, and a B+ prospect but Dubois comes with retention down to $7.5M and also a Kings 1st in one of 25 or 26. Tough price to pay but that's our price (my price anyways).

My gut tells me the Kings will try to manage it better next year but it might be too late. Dubois has wanted to play for the Habs for a long time now and thought he would like it in LA. LA offering the pieces required for the Jets and also the contract he couldn't' say no. Probably knew the Habs would not offer him more than Suzuki.

Dubois may be content now to just coast. Already got his guaranteed money. Doubt the Kings are going to get the best out of him.

If in a trade, LA would take half of his salary for the whole duration, it becomes pretty interesting. We would have him for basically 4 million per year. No risks and far less pressure for him too.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Why are jounalists so obsessed about moving X-Man?
I am wondering the same thing. Sometimes, I wonder if other teams executives disrupt intentionally the chemistry of other teams just by throwing rumors like these.

I mean, Xhekaj must have heard his name being thrown out by now, it must have an effect somehow.

On the other hand, some journalists do sound stupid when they talk, maybe they just are plain stupid and unaware of the effect these rumors can have, and there's no conspiracy here

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I am wondering the same thing. Sometimes, I wonder if other teams executives disrupt intentionally the chemistry of other teams just by throwing rumors like these.

I mean, Xhekaj must have heard his name being thrown out by now, it must have an effect somehow.

On the other hand, some journalists do sound stupid when they talk, maybe they just are plain stupid and unaware of the effect these rumors can have, and there's no conspiracy here

My biggest fear is that the Habs don't view him highly and have given the press the greenlight to speculate to prepare the fans to a possible trade.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
My biggest fear is that the Habs don't view him highly and have given the press the greenlight to speculate to prepare the fans to a possible trade.
If this is the case, then the media is smarter than I give them credit for. They reported that KH turned down a potential top-6 for him.

Now, he's bond to disappoint if he gets a lesser return (and if he does get a top-6 for an undrafted D-man, well bra-vo)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why are jounalists so obsessed about moving X-Man?
Which ones? I also saw several saying that X is a unicorn and how there’s a reason so many GMs keep calling Hughes about him — they advocate that someone like that shouldn’t be traded.

• Love

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Which ones? I also saw several saying that X is a unicorn and how there’s a reason so many GMs keep calling Hughes about him — they advocate that someone like that shouldn’t be traded.
I think I heard them evocking it on the Sortie de zone podcast, but it's mostly clickbait articles I think.

Here are the first results for Arber Xhekaj in Google News, have fun if you want to know from where it came from in the first place

1000001398.png

• Wow
Reactions: Runner77

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Duchene, Pavelski, Dadonov, Bourque and Steel are all under 6'0".

Their current top6 is:
Robertson (6'3") - Duchene (5'11") - Pavelski (5'11")
Marchment (6'4") - Seguin (6'1") - Dadonov (5'11")
The only reason Dallas might have Dadonov and Marchment in their top 6 is for balancing their lineup, which works well for them. But you are telling me that, if Dallas is down 2 goals mid 3rd they will have Dadonov playing on the top line?
How about the PP and PK?

The numbers are showing Dadonov and Marchment are 3rd and 4th liners.

Dadonov was 12th in ice time with Montreal last year.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I think I heard them evocking it on the Sortie de zone podcast, but it's mostly clickbait articles I think.

Here are the first results for Arber Xhekaj in Google News, have fun if you want to know from where it came from in the first place

View attachment 874582
MSN Who still uses this lmaoo
Also all of those are just fans made websites lol.
People should look into Harris Barron Kovacevic instead of JackEye.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The only reason Dallas might have Dadonov and Marchment is for balancing their lineup, which works well for them. But you are telling me that, if Dallas is down 2 goals mid 3rd they will have Dadonov playing on the top line?
How about the PP and PK?

Dadonov was 12th in ice time with Montreal last year.

Dadonov is still currently on Dallas 2nd line as of May 22nd and played 22:22 minutes in the final game against Colorado (1 A, +1).

As far as performance goes, he's tied 5th for points for forwards.

PP and PK have nothing to do with the current argument, which is that you indeed missed a bunch of players under 6'0", especially the ones currently playing in their top6.

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Dadonov is still currently on Dallas 2nd line as of May 22nd and played 22:22 minutes in the final game against Colorado (1 A, +1).

PP and PK have nothing to do with the current argument, which is that you indeed missed a bunch of players under 6'0", especially the ones currently playing in their top6.
Dadonov is 8th at EV, 10th at PP and 14th at PK.
Doesn’t scream top 6.

Only one forward is under 6’ and it’s Stankoven.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Several websites listing Duchene and Pavelski at 6’1”.
Dadonov and Stankoven aren’t too 6.
Pavelski likely isn't even the 5'11" he is listed at lol.... Hockey DB is garbage and should never be quoted.

The 3 best sites by a mile for measurements are Hockeyreference, CapFriendly and EliteProspects and all three have Pavelski and Duchene at 5'11". I am not sure which garbage sites that you are referencing but any person who is not blind folded or blind can easily tell that Pavelski is not 6'1", and is very likely closer to 5'10"

bud12

Oct 8, 2012

And he played 13min the game before and 10min in some games. He's not used as a 2nd liner the majority of the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad