HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Absolutely. That's one of the reason i would still be dangling our 2025's draft capital to go get a solid acquisition this summer. Our 2025 1st is an interesting piece for a teams starting his rebuilding process. I would not hesitate to use it if the right deal comes to us. And we still have that Calg/Florida pick to work with.

It would take guts to put our 25th 1st on the table (even with protection). Team looks like it will improve but it's back to back bottom 5. Could be drafting in the bottom 5-12 range next year and the year after.

I guess it would depend on what is coming if we put that 25th 1st on the table. Could work because getting an extra asset in this draft is ideal for adding to our core. Or someone already playing (like Dach).

Jets 1st and our 25th 1st (lottery protected). That's an interesting dangle

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The only small guy in our mid-term top6 is Caufield and we have a 6'3" and 6'4" guy. As long as the final guy to comple Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Newhook and Dach isn't small, we won't have a small top6 (at least not to the level of the previous 30 years).

In the up and coming forward prospects, Farrell is the only small guy.
Mesar sends you his best. Rohrer his regards. Guindon also chimes in. And Kidney doesn't know how to respond because he may be 6 ft but a small bag of feathers outweighs him. Our top 6 definitely needs another player with size and skill. I would go as far as two more, preferably 2 of Lindstrom, Iginla and Sennecke.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't think the 2021 forward corps is that much grittier than the 2024 one.
Obviously ignoring the truth to prove your point correct.

Weber,
Chiarot
Edmundson
Perry
Staal
Romanov
Danault
KK

That's eight players with grit. Name me the players on this team that replaced those 8.

EDIT: Okay you said forwards. name for me four forwards that replaced Perry, Staal, Danault and KK.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Yeah, let's create Leafs v2.0 in Montreal.
As much as I laugh when they come up short every postseason, I would love to be in the position they're in. They're guaranteed to make the playoffs every season, they just need to make the trades/signings that'll take them through the playoffs.

Of course it's easier said than done but they're in a position where they can (need to) trade Marner or Nylander .. Imagine being in a position where you can trade one of the best players in the world in their position to get deeper?

• Wow
Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Mesar sends you his best. Rohrer his regards. Guindon also chimes in. And Kidney doesn't know how to respond because he may be 6 ft but a small bag of feathers outweighs him. Our top 6 definitely needs another player with size and skill. I would go as far as two more, preferably 2 of Lindstrom, Iginla and Sennecke.
Expect Mesar, those guys are more suspect then prospect. Guindon won’t probably even be a Habs in 1 month

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I don't see any of these prospects being better than Roy ever. And Roy spot is bond to be middle 6 winger.

That being said, i want one of Lindstrom or Iginla with our first pick and trade up from 25OA to get one of Sennecke or MBN.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I see the bar for not being small keeps going up. Soon Suzuki will be small too. Mesar is also the only one you named that has a good chance of making the NHL.

I do agree more size and skill would be great, but the emphasis should be on skill first at this point.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Weber,
Chiarot
Edmundson
Perry
Staal
Romanov
Danault
KK

That's eight players with grit. Name me the players on this team that replaced those 8.

EDIT: Okay you said forwards. name for me four forwards that replaced Perry, Staal, Danault and KK.

Pezzetta, Dvorak, Dach, RHP

I think you overrate the grit of three of the players you named.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Pezzetta, Dvorak, Dach, RHP

I think you overrate the grit of three of the players you named.
Were you looking into a mirror when you thought the highlighted part?

The only one of the four you named who brings any grit worth mentioning is Pezzetta and there's very little skill there. Dach? Really? For how many games in 2 years? A dozen. RHP tries but he provides the nuisance of a mosquito. Dvorak. Another who tries but his heart is not in it.

Then couple that with the four behemoths we lost on defence and this team does not have the grit to compete in the regular season let alone the playoffs.

But I agree with you. Getting just grit is pointless. You need grit with talent.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So is that your way of saying we have very little in the way of forward prospects - with or without size?

It's his way of saying you mostly went to the bottom of the pile instead of the top.

Roy, Heineman, Beck, Kapanen, Tuch and Xhekaj are all decently sized.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The only small guy in our mid-term top6 is Caufield and we have a 6'3" and 6'4" guy. As long as the final guy to comple Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Newhook and Dach isn't small, we won't have a small top6 (at least not to the level of the previous 30 years).

In the up and coming forward prospects, Farrell is the only small guy.
Mesar

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's his way of saying you mostly went to the bottom of the pile instead of the top.

Roy, Heineman, Beck, Kapanen, Tuch and Xhekaj are all decently sized.
The post I responded to, you were talking about our top 6. Those players, except for Roy, are not projected to play on our top 6. Although I like Roy, I would not name grittiness as one of his attributes. Also, three of those players - Heineman, Tuch and Xhekaj - are long shots to develop into NHLers.

On our top six we have two players who will play with grittines. Suzuki and Slaf. And Suz has to be selective. Dach is six four but fragile as a delicate flower. It would be ridiculous to ask Newhook and Caufield to play that way. It's not in their game. We need preferably two more players with grit and talent on our top two lines..

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I wouldn't qualify him as small, but even then, we have a bunch of 6'0 plus guys in the pool.

If Mesar makes the top6, just switch out Newhook for a bigger guy and problem solved.
Go take a look at the forward groups of the four teams in the conference finals. And then compare with the Habs. Our forward group is tiny and lacks grit. And obviously skill.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Might be late on this, but listening to the Basu-Godin podcast, Basu mentions the Habs will likely look at adding players like Cousins, Lomberg, Tkachuk, Bennett, players that are pests and are hard to play against.

I did mention that Bennett, if he reaches UFA status Montreal will be interested. Yes, he will be very attractive, but I could see the Habs overpaying. This 2nd part is my musing, not theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leto and Vachon23

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
The next step is being a bubble team, and I don't see how this team is not ready to take the next step.

Especially when you consider that they will be adding Dach, Hutson, and Stamkos who could each have a massive impact on their own.

Rantanen and Draisaitl aren't making it to ufa, Crosby pretty unlikely too. Also signing Crosby isn't much different than signing Stamkos.

Ok, I wasn't clear, indeed the next step is bubble team, but they are not ready to "plug holes" to become contender.

While Rantanen and Draisailt may not hit UFA, I would still keep my ammo in case they do or any other elite player become available. Stamkos does not excite me at all, too old and to slow now and MTL does not have yet the support system that he had last year, so he's bound to decline in production if he comes here.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Go take a look at the forward groups of the four teams in the conference finals. And then compare with the Habs. Our forward group is tiny and lacks grit. And obviously skill.
Yet two of our top young prospects are Farrell and Mesar...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The post I responded to, you were talking about our top 6. Those players, except for Roy, are not projected to play on our top 6. Although I like Roy, I would not name grittiness as one of his attributes. Also, three of those players - Heineman, Tuch and Xhekaj - are long shots to develop into NHLers.

On our top six we have two players who will play with grittines. Suzuki and Slaf. And Suz has to be selective. Dach is six four but fragile as a delicate flower. It would be ridiculous to ask Newhook and Caufield to play that way. It's not in their game. We need preferably two more players with grit and talent on our top two lines..

You named Guindon, Kidney and Rohrer. None of them are likely to be top6. They are also less likely to be NHLer than the ones you called long shots.

I do agree having more skill and grit would be ideal, but skill comes first. That 2nd line need to be able to score. After that, we can worry how to tune our roster into a contender.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I mean, Dallas currently has 3 guys under 6'0 in their top6. NYR has two. Florida and Edmonton have none.

What I do see though is a lot of skill.

I feel like a recording, but priority is skill, then we can worry about grit.

Get a player that works with Newhook/Dach so that line can score and then look to fix the grit in the lineup.

You already said Suzuki and Slaf have grit so 1st line is fine.

If the 2nd line lack a bit of grit, make the 3rd line grittier (while still having skill).

You'll never have 4 perfect lines, so you just need to balance the lineup accordingly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Weber,
Chiarot
Edmundson
Perry
Staal
Romanov
Danault
KK

Sorry bud but that cup finals roster was very gritty with a ton of experience. Price was awesome but the overall depth and grit we had was underrated.

I remember saying this roster can make some noise at the beginning of that season (Canadian Division factor). Lots of fans laughed at it. Actually made fun of the grit and vets we had that year.

Reaching that finals was no fluke... Saying it was a fluke was in insult to the hard work the players put into that. Remember when fans said Gallagher makes Danault look better? Our D is a bunch of pylons? Those fans should be ashamed of themselves. That roster had lots of variables that lead to a good run. Grit was one of them. Price was another and there were other angles to that as well. That big top 4D was rolled over and over again (Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Eddy). Very effective.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
As much as I laugh when they come up short every postseason, I would love to be in the position they're in. They're guaranteed to make the playoffs every season, they just need to make the trades/signings that'll take them through the playoffs.

Of course it's easier said than done but they're in a position where they can (need to) trade Marner or Nylander .. Imagine being in a position where you can trade one of the best players in the world in their position to get deeper?
They also hired a GM who ruined the Flames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad