HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dude, he once accused me of being a Slaf hater with a bunch of awful takes. When I asked him to point those takes out, I've actually been a cheerleader since the pick, he told me that it was my job to find them (there were none) and that he didn't want to read my bad takes anymore. Literally can't admit when he's wrong.
Takes "Miller Time" a little too seriously, maybe? :sarcasm:

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Takes "Miller Time" a little too seriously, maybe? :sarcasm:
Nah, I take people at the face value of their posts. Not my job to figure out if every single post is 'meant to be taken seriously' because I spend maybe 10 mins a day on here.

Reactions: Runner77

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You should look at the offer sheet and resigning as one collective process here. It was no dount part of the deal to offer sheet him high and extend him at a lower AAV first chance they could which I believe was in January of the same season.
What is interesting about the KK contract is that he took such a low AAV. He either wasn't confident he was going to be a scoring line forward or knew he wasn't.

Reactions: salbutera

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What is interesting about the KK contract is that he took such a low AAV. He either wasn't confident he was going to be a scoring line forward or knew he wasn't.
Likely his agent pushing him to take that deal as it didn’t really make much sense for KK.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've moved on from Necas, have to pay him so much money.

Loved the Dach trade. OK with the Newhook Trade. Necas to me would be meh. Good middle 6F but I'd be looking for someone better offensively. I like his all around game but I'm not sold he is the type of piece we need in our top 6.

Likely his agent pushing him to take that deal as it didn’t really make much sense for KK.

Might have had something to do with the large 1 year deal they gave him on the offer sheet. He was certainly not worth $6.1M for that season. There were rumors of a handshake agreement on the extension.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really. They re-signed him.

Yeah, really. The regret is after they signed that long term deal.

It's funny though. He was drafted as a "long term prospect" at center and it's certainly tracking that way. I bet KK has a good prime from age 25-30. Short prime but so many of his type has good years in that span. Takes years to show maturity and trust.

He's also playing for a very tough coach who does not tolerate complacency on his cup contending roster. This will either break KK or make him better long term.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Loved the Dach trade. OK with the Newhook Trade. Necas to me would be meh. Good middle 6F but I'd be looking for someone better offensively. I like his all around game but I'm not sold he is the type of piece we need in our top 6.
FWIW - Aaron Ward said, there’s a sense Necas’ game would take the next step (potentially explode) in a more traditional system vs Rod da Bod’s

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
FWIW - Aaron Ward made said, there’s a sense Necas’ game would take the next step (potentially explode) in a more traditional system vs Rod da Bod’s

I've watched a fair amount of his game. I don't see it. I like his overall game (like Newhook) but his blocks/60, hits/60, giveaways/60, takeaways/60 is meh. Canes play him 67% on the offensive side too. Good skater and works very hard. Has some good skill and no glaring flaws.

My search is for a real top 6F that turns the offensive needle on our PP. I think Dach fit and with Newhook, I was not as happy as I was with the Dach trade. I was a huge Newhook fan (pre draft) too. Don't dislike the Newhook add but he is a middle 6F for me.

Could be wrong though. Necas is at that critical age of 25 heading into next year. Is he who he is or does he have another level? My gut says he is who he is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would much prefer we go with Zegras over Necas. Necas seems to have plateaued while I think Zegras have another gear to his play which MSL could unlock.

I tend to agree. Necas plays with a higher tempo over Zegras but someone like Zegras can help our PP. Necas probably doesn't turn the skilled top 6F PP needle.

At this stage, I'm open to Zegras but not desperate. I was considering 5th OA or Guhle for Zegras but I don't like what I am seeing at the WC with Zegras. I would have thought this would have given him extra energy playing with more talent but it's not happening. Someone like Dubois is showing what he can do with talent. Zegras is not so the concerns of him being a skilled perimeter player might end up being the truth.

I think we got to be careful thinking we can do a Dach and Newhook trade every off season until we fill holes. If there is no Dach quality to be had, my plan would be to just draft Iggy and sign Toffoli as a bridge for when Iggy is ready. Keep our draft power and prospects for a in season trade or a trade next off season.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I was considering 5th OA or Guhle for Zegras
Crazy, Guhle is already better than Zegras. 5OA gives you opportunity to draft better with better profile than Zegras, both Lindstrom or Iginla better elements to winning team than Zegras play on periphery.
Zegras was no9 in his draft year for a reason and even in a re-draft he might still go 9th.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Crazy, Guhle is already better than Zegras. 5OA gives you opportunity to draft better with better profile than Zegras, both Lidstrom or Iginla better elements to winning team than Zegras play on periphery.

Today, I would have Guhle at a higher rating than Zegras. Before this season? NO, Zegras had more value. The dilemma here is does Zegras have another gear to reach or is he who he is? Same with Guhle, is he who he is or is there room for more growth? You're guess is as good as mine but what I know today, both Guhle and our 5th pick have a fair amount of value over Zegras.

I was very curious to see Zegras's game at the WC. More talent to work with and I don't like what I see. It's more of the same we have seen. That's a red flag for me. I was expecting more

So yeah, I'm back to offering a package deal for Zegras (Jets 1st, etc). If the Ducks don't like it, try keeping him or try with another team.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would much prefer we go with Zegras over Necas. Necas seems to have plateaued while I think Zegras have another gear to his play which MSL could unlock.

Zegras just had this worst season ever, that is worse than a plateau, it's a sign that his game doesn't translate well when they know what to look for and when he doesn't get hamfisted all the best ice time and opportunities.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Today, I would have Guhle at a higher rating than Zegras. Before this season? NO, Zegras had more value. The dilemma here is does Zegras have another gear to reach or is he who he is? Same with Guhle, is he who he is or is there room for more growth? You're guess is as good as mine but what I know today, both Guhle and our 5th pick have a fair amount of value over Zegras.

I was very curious to see Zegras's game at the WC. More talent to work with and I don't like what I see. It's more of the same we have seen. That's a red flag for me. I was expecting more

So yeah, I'm back to offering a package deal for Zegras (Jets 1st, etc). If the Ducks don't like it, try keeping him or try with another team.
I would bet on ourselves and dangle our 2025 1st for Zegras. Would off course make it top 2 protected (lottery win).

But i'm pretty confident if we get Zegras, and with Dach coming back, we will at best draft 8OA-10OA, which is fair value for Zegras. And no matter what, i don't see us drafting top 5.

Not sure Anaheim would bit though.

Reactions: Pat Riot

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Zegras just had this worst season ever, that is worse than a plateau, it's a sign that his game doesn't translate well when they know what to look for and when he doesn't get hamfisted all the best ice time and opportunities.

I think it has more to do with him battling injuries all season long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad