HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I would rather overpay for Necas at long term than bringing back Monahan or Toffoli.

I still think the right way would be to try to unload some players first and then acquire some pieces we still need.

A nice touch would be to have a good 4th line who can play hockey. Running on 2 lines is too much .

id try to add players like Texier , to beef our bottom 6.

Players like Ylonen Pezetta Rhp are just not it for our bottom 6.

Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would rather overpay for Necas at long term than bringing back Monahan or Toffoli.

I still think the right way would be to try to unload some players first and then acquire some pieces we still need.

A nice touch would be to have a good 4th line who can play hockey. Running on 2 lines is too much .

id try to add players like Texier , to beef our bottom 6.

Players like Ylonen Pezetta Rhp are just not it for our bottom 6.
Hey man, haven’t seen you posting in a long time. I hope all is well. Welcome back in the zoo.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
That would be far too rich for me. I wouldn't give up #5 alone. There is an enormous gap between the two proposals.

You would be right; Necas isn't worth a top 10 pick nevermind a top 5 one+ considering the massive raise he's due and what has been a somewhat tough season for him overall.

If Necas is traded from Carolina I would actually expect something slightly better in value to Debrincat's second trade from Ottawa to Detroit. Necas is a different player than Debrincat, but overall on a similar level (soft, poor defensively, purely offense-driven) to Debrincat from last year.

And if we look at the details of the trade of Debrincat, well, that netted Ottawa a late first (Detroit's choice of picks that ended up being the Boston pick in 2024), a somewhat useful roster player in Kubalik (who cratered this year for Ottawa), a middling prospect in Sebrango, and an additional fourth-round pick.

Now, I know that Debrincat really wanted to play for Detroit, made open overtures to that end, and that possibly tanked his value. But we've still got a recent example of a 24/25 year-old RFA trade for skill players that we can baseline around, loosely.

Let's say we increase the value a bit for a trade for Necas and change the parameters since the Hurricanes would need more immediate help than the Senators did in this scenario.

The Hurricanes would most likely be looking for young roster players, high-end prospects nearing readiness to play in the NHL, or good young-ish NHLers that they could plug into their lineup without needing to break the bank for them as they would need to for Necas ($7-8M/year).

And if we look at our roster, the only thing that kinda fits (but doesn't?) with smallish adds on our side would be Matheson. Which is a no-go for us given the youthful inexperience of our D, and probably for them too considering that they already have Slavin and are looking to extend Skjei as LDs.

Perhaps we could just go for value and entice them with a prospect like Joshua Roy and a late-first. But Roy is looking very good for us and that would hurt a lot to give at this stage of our rebuild considering that we're not exactly swimming in high-end F prospects nearing NHL-readiness at the moment.

So yeah, looking from afar a trade for Necas might seem like a fit for Montreal and Carolina, but from closer-up what we have to trade doesn't really match their needs/wants as well as other teams out West could, like say Utah with their plethora of picks and some interesting young pieces.

As much as I'd like to see Necas in Montreal, and think he'd be a good fit for us. I don't quite think it will happen. I've come around to that idea recently at least.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Didn't Canes promise him a big long term contract when KK signed the 1 year deal?
They *signed him* to a big, long-term contract the January following the summer's one-year deal.

That long-term contract is 4.8m/year until 2030. They can use a buy-out on him and get an absolutely miniscule caphit of 0.835m a year until 2036 -- because of a clause based on the player's age.

It is something worth considering. The thing is that they can do the same buy-out with the same benefit next summer (2025) or even the one after (2026).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Most fans were patient with Slafkovsky.

I'm sorry that isn't remotely true. The hate the poor kid endured since his selection was pretty crazy and the noise on him prior to breaking out this year was some of the most toxic you'd see and while the really really bad culprits were a smaller group, the amount of people declaring him a bust were many.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm sorry that isn't remotely true. The hate the poor kid endured since his selection was pretty crazy and the noise on him prior to breaking out this year was some of the most toxic you'd see and while the really really bad culprits were a smaller group, the amount of people declaring him a bust were many.
I meant on this site.

It may be that Slafkovsky was hated on Twitter, Reddit, and RDS.

Reactions: Kimota

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Most of it was right here, I don’t remember toxicity in the papers…?

He felt some resistance on draft day while entering the BC, but that quickly changed to cheers when he was running in the stands high fiving everyone.

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Most of it was right here, I don’t remember toxicity in the papers…?

He felt some resistance on draft day while entering the BC, but that quickly changed to cheers when he was running in the stands high fiving everyone.

And then quickly into man he's a bust, we got it wrong, wah wah when he was playing his rookie and sophomore year until the blues game turn around

I meant on this site.

It may be that Slafkovsky was hated on Twitter, Reddit, and RDS.

No, even here.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not all us fans wanted to get rid of slaf
No, but a vocal group were adamant he was the wrong pick and wouldn't shut up about it despite how obviously short sighted their poorly grounded takes were.

A few at least owned it, but others continue to try to spin a different tune now that the kid made them eat their words... Par for the course for those types of posters.

Point is that the mob sentiment is rarely well informed & not a good reference point to assess a player. Pionk seems to be well appreciated by the players & coaches that he competes with, that's a more solid reference point than what some disappointed jets fans on this site might feel about him.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well pal, I honestly probably am too immaturely biased against the Jets since 2021. So take me with a grain of salt.

However, I see a player who constantly cheap shots and skates away from conflict. He loves late hits. A real liberty taker that wouldn’t survive with no instigator penalty, but I guess that’s most modern players. He always stands out as one of the rattler players in the league to me. I always joke they got mini Trouba for Trouba to my friends.

He kind of embodies everything unlikeable about the Jets’ team character to me.

Fair enough.

Smaller guys that play physical often can be described that way. Hate playing against them but love them on your team type players... Kadri, Bennett, Marchand etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad