HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If HuGo can get Lindstrom at five, he should couple some of our surplus talent with the Winnipeg pick to move up to where he can get Sennecke.

Close your eyes and imagine a top six with Dach, Slaf, Lindstrom and Sennecke. I'm getting shivers just thinking about it.
I think it's amazing that a team was able to trade up from 27th to get San Jose's 11th overall pick in 2022, by only adding a couple of 2nds.

But, I don't see that happening this year. The top 15 seems too valuable.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Would our second pick get us close to Lane's brother Cole rank and would you use it to grab him?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think it's amazing that a team was able to trade up from 27th to get San Jose's 11th overall pick in 2022, by only adding a couple of 2nds.

27th OA, Harris and a 2nd round pick if Sennecke is around the 15th spot.

Reactions: Scintillating10

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I tried to explain this several times. I think I got this right. The Jets pick is 24-27 range and today we are at 27. For each team (Bruins, Oilers, Avs), that reaches final 4, Habs move one down.

Yes, that's correct. We can't pick #28, and we can't pick #23. If one of NYI or Washington had gotten to final four killing off both Carolina & NYR, we could have gotten 23rd. That's no longer an option.

Depending on how 2nd round plays out, it is still 24, 25, 26, or 27.

Reactions: 26Mats

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Would our second pick get us close to Lane's brother Cole rank and would you use it to grab him?
There's a slight chance Colorado's 2nd might be able to get him. He's anywhere from just before the Jets 1st to towards the end of the 2nd depending on who teams like.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
27th OA, Harris and a 2nd round pick if Sennecke is around the 15th spot.
If that gets it done I'm all for it. I just don't think it gets it done and I don't think Sennecke is available at the 15th spot.

If management thinks he's the real deal, I'd be willing to give up a lot of Harris, Struble, Barron, and other draft picks. We need quality over quantity at this point.

Reactions: Rozz

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, that's correct. We can't pick #28, and we can't pick #23. If one of NYI or Washington had gotten to final four killing off both Carolina & NYR, we could have gotten 23rd. That's no longer an option.

Depending on how 2nd round plays out, it is still 24, 25, 26, or 27.
Vegas almost had Dallas out, now they're looking really strong against the Avs...

The Panthers look like the real deal, but I'm rooting hard for the scrappy, less talented Bruins....

I thought for sure Edmonton would smoke the Canucks, but so far the Canucks are up in the series...

:facepalm: But it is what it is. Hopefully next year we finally get some luck with one of these late round picks Hughes has acquired. San Jose got the 14th overall pick in the Karlsson trade. Good on them.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Would you trade #5 for #9 & #29 (currently) if CGY came knocking and really wanted Iginla

In general yes.

According to Examining the value of NHL Draft picks - Sound Of Hockey

...... the difference betweeen the value of pick #5 and pick #9 should be around the value of pick #46

If we had both Winnipeg's pick and Calagary's coming from Vancouver, depending how the BO-FLA, EDM-VAN and COL_¨DAV series go, we will be drafting either
27 & 29,
26 & 27, which is equal to 27/29 plus #80
25 & 26, which is equal to 27/29 plus #62
24 & 25, which is equal to 27/29 plus #53

Another way to look at is:
27 & 29 together could be swapped for a #13 plus #115
26 & 27 together could be swapped for a #11 plus #204
25 & 26 together could be swapped for a #10 plus #200
24 & 25 plus #221 could be swapped for a #9

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Some fans are worried about taking Iggy "too early" but if he is our target, just take him 5th. Don't get influenced by internet rankings. Bob M is mostly right. He said it's all over the place from 2-10+. I thought that before he said it and now I really believe it.

Trying to trade down to get a late 1st might create a situation were you miss on your target.

I rather take Iggy 5th and try to trade up with the Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd and one of Harris, Ylonen, Farrell. Looks like that might get us 12-15 range. Possible Eiserman is there. Or one of Helenius, Catton, Sennecke.

Both Iggy and Eiserman? YUP! They are two of my targets at 5th. Eiserman is a sleeper pick with me.
Iggy is my pick, He had a solid season and had a strong U18 in my opinion. Growing up and watching his Dad play, you can only assume this kid will be a working machine both on and off the ice. He is my pick and yes over Lindstrom for me.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Can Hughes acquire another top-5 or top-10 pick?

How about:

Mike Matheson
Jets 2024 1st
Whichever is higher of Habs or Calgary 2025 1st.
Take on a cap dump of it helps.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Iggy is my pick, He had a solid season and had a strong U18 in my opinion. Growing up and watching his Dad play, you can only assume this kid will be a working machine both on and off the ice. He is my pick and yes over Lindstrom for me.

I feel the exact same. Of course we don't have the information Hughes and our scouts do but with the information I have, I'm taking Iggy 5th. Then I focus on trying to trade up to get another pick from 12-15 range.

Agreed. Iginla seems like that type of kid that is obsessive at improving. It's a huge factor in trying to project a players potential from that age 17-20 span. D+1 and D-2 is usually where you see players make their gains. I think Iggy will break out even more in the next two years. He's already showing that and is one of the younger guys in the draft.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
In general yes.

According to Examining the value of NHL Draft picks - Sound Of Hockey

...... the difference betweeen the value of pick #5 and pick #9 should be around the value of pick #46

If we had both Winnipeg's pick and Calagary's coming from Vancouver, depending how the BO-FLA, EDM-VAN and COL_¨DAV series go, we will be drafting either
27 & 29,
26 & 27, which is equal to 27/29 plus #80
25 & 26, which is equal to 27/29 plus #62
24 & 25, which is equal to 27/29 plus #53

Another way to look at is:
27 & 29 together could be swapped for a #13 plus #115
26 & 27 together could be swapped for a #11 plus #204
25 & 26 together could be swapped for a #10 plus #200
24 & 25 plus #221 could be swapped for a #9
Sounds great in theory but i would never trade down 9 for a 24th and 25th.

Same as buy low-sell high comments. Works great in theory but when its time to act, things are different.

Last « pure » trade down moves i remember are 11 for 27, 34 and 45. Also 11 for 14 and 45.

Usually an established player or a bad contract will be involved in the trade down move.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Maybe I’m too pessimistic, but I don’t see the value in our WPG and CGY picks (which are both slated to be late first rounders) in an attempt to move up significantly at the draft without coughing up other assets, preferably some D.

You gotta pay to get and this looks like a good year in which to do it.
early round 2nd's.. so ya, they would have to pay lots to move up I think

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would be the point? Take Cole in case Lane doesn't make the NHL, but Cole has fewer fatal weaknesses? I can't see the value in having both on the big club.

Agreed. At that stage of the draft, we should be drafting by BPA according to need category.

Iggy at 5. Then we should be looking at adding a center to add to Beck and Kapanen in the pool. Try to trade up to get Helenius

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

It's valuable and not. All those kids are a few years away from being an impact playing in the NHL, while the 10-15 teams all want to compete next season outside of SJ and the Flyers.

So it's not more picks you trade with the Winnipeg 1st to move up, it's a roster player(s) and/or near NHL ready prospects. You just need to find a match...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Agreed. At that stage of the draft, we should be drafting by BPA according to need category.

Iggy at 5. Then we should be looking at adding a center to add to Beck and Kapanen in the pool. Try to trade up to get Helenius
If Lindstom and Demidov are gone, I would be ok with swapping picks with Calgary if we get their second first-rounder or a good young middle six forward. I personally do not think Iginla value is a 5OA.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Lindstom and Demidov are gone, I would be ok with swapping picks with Calgary if we get their second first-rounder or a good young middle six forward. I personally do not think Iginla value is a 5OA.

I think you are sleeping on Iginla because of the 16 vs 10 ranking from mid to end of season (bob's ranking). I think you need to consider that there is no real BPA from 2-10+. This draft is loaded with all kind of potential in that range. The rankings you see on the net are major guesses and Bob said it as well. 2-10+ is very unpredictable. Someone like Eiserman goes from 2 to 4 to 13 from beginning-mid-end of season.... and he didn't really have a bad season one bit. Just goes to show how much talent there is and our job is to find the one who has the best D+1 and D+2 improvements. That guy is Iggy for me.

Watch this video and tell me again that Iginla doesn't have top 6F or top line potential in the NHL? Already showing great edge work and already has a NHL shot. Cross overs are impressive. 185 lbs already and is one of the youngest. This is a hot rising stock if you were investing. Very difficult to find any flaws

1.5 months away from being in the 2025 draft. Think about where he would be compared to the 18 year olds who are in this top 5 like Lindstrom.

Last edited:

oberan1

Aug 9, 2004
Montreal, Canada
I wouldn't give all that up for 2nd OA.

For Celebrini, I'd give all that, plus Guhle.

Or, if I could get 2 OA for your package, I'd give 2 OA + Habs 1st next year + Guhle for Celebrini.

C-line of Celebrini - Suzuki - Newhook - Beck solves the pivot enigma for a long time for the Habs.

Slafkovsky - Celebrini -UFA (Reinhart)
Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
UFA (DeBrusk) - Newhook - Roy
XXX - Beck - XXX

Celebrini going nowhere but SJ.
Local kid, his father is VP-level (I believe) for Golden State Warriors, they've already publicly stated that they would love for Sj to draft him to remain close to home. Consensus #1 and local...no way they trade the pick.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think you are sleeping on Iginla because of the 16 vs 10 ranking from mid to end of season (bob's ranking). I think you need to consider that there is no real BPA from 2-10+. This draft is loaded with all kind of potential in that range. The rankings you see on the net are major guesses and Bob said it as well. 2-10+ is very unpredictable. Someone like Eiserman goes from 2 to 4 to 13 from beginning-mid-end of season.... and he didn't really have a bad season one bit. Just goes to show how much talent there is and our job is to find the one who has the best D+1 and D+2 improvements. That guy is Iggy for me.

Watch this video and tell me again that Iginla doesn't have top 6F or top line potential in the NHL? Already showing great edge work and already has a NHL shot. Cross overs are impressive. 185 lbs already and is one of the youngest. This is a hot rising stock if you were investing. Very difficult to find any flaws

OK but I don't usually like using a 5th pick on a 10-OA player and that is where the video has him.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
OK but I don't usually like using a 5th pick on a 10-OA player.

Me either but that narrative just don't apply to this draft from 2-10+. I had that hunch before Bob said it and after he said it, I really believe it now.

I am not buying for one bit the BPA list narrative from 2-10+ in this draft. Remember, we took Reinbacher who was a hot riser as well.

Dig into Tig a bit more for me. Video and asking others you trust. I really have a hard time nit picking his flaws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad