HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont care about the rest i care about this stupid obsession with a loser whos been through 3 teams yet and still shows zero passion or desire to win

Move on Dubois is a loser and the last thing we should have next to our players

I'd sign him for free if he was bought out. Anyways, if you won't like it, avoid talking about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) I would do this trade. I like The Ghoul but he's stagnated slightly and has been hurt more than I'd like to see. Plus it does lend itself well to point 2 you brought up. I would prefer sending Xhekaj + Jets pick + (++?) but if it's The Ghoul who gets it done so be it.

2) Fine. I want a F really bad but I could live with picking a D if Ghoul for Z is done (and if Demi/Macklin are off the board when we pick.. if we win either lottery, I want an F regardless of trade).

3) I would probably do this regardless of the first two points but hard to say if Columbus would. I like the idea of Laine but he's having mental health troubles away from the spotlight right now.. I don't know how throwing him into the fire of the MTL market would work out for him. But I don't know his struggle like that so maybe.

4) Hard no. Either keep Dvo for one more year or try to find another solution.

Doubt these happen but you never know what Hughes may be up to. Just an example of the things we can do with our draft power and group of prospects.

Hopefully this summer is exciting

That post is all over the place. What do the Ducks or Kyle Dubas have to do with Dubois?

Anyway with what Basu and Blake stuff time to put this to rest.

My bad. I was replying to this at the same time as another post. It was suppose to be Dubois and Kings.

It's not put to rest. Some of you need to chill. Don't like it, don't talk about it. It's simple. Complaining about others talking about it only fuels the fire and annoys you more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Dubois trade that probably makes the most sense is Dubois for Hubredeau.

It does make the most sense but has to happen before Dubois's NMC kicks in July 1st. Would the Flames retain where AAV becomes equal to both sides? Not sure. Huberdeau is also signed till 37 and is quite a bit older than Dubois. Higher AAV and older but for all the options we talk about, it probably has the higher probability.

I'm very open to multiple conversations but some get cranky about it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So Basu knows everything?

You know there were a lot of other things said in the post you replied to and you focused on Dubois only where it was the smaller add of all the moves? Who's the one obsessed with Dubois now? You got to take a step back and rethink
No but Hughes has spoken about what they look for in a player and at least two of those guys aren't showing it.
What would you say if these chain of events happened...

1) Guhle for Zegras

2) Habs use our pick to draft a D (to replace Guhle). This unblocks our D clutter for this season and next.

3) Habs use pieces like the Anderson, Dvorak, Jets 1st, Mesar, to add Laine.

4) Dubois gets bought out and signs a small deal with the Habs. 4 years at $4M.

Slaf / Suzuki / Laine
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Dubois / Roy
Armia / Evans / Gallagher

RHP, Pezzetta, Ylonen, Farrell
Beck, Kapanen, Tuch

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Struble, Barron, Harris, Kova, Engstrom
Not sure who we would draft on D.

Monty / Primeau
Fowler
I'm not sure why you would propose two players who are criticized for their lack of compete in Laine and Dubois.
Compete is one of the pillars our management has identified as a prerequisite.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No but Hughes has spoken about what they look for in a player and at least two of those guys aren't showing it.

I'm not sure why you would propose two players who are criticized for their lack of compete in Laine and Dubois.
Compete is one of the pillars our management has identified as a prerequisite.

It's not a proposal I want us to do like a little kid but you and others will think of it that way. It's a do you like if Hughes does these types or not. So your answer is no it appears.

The main point I was making was the various options we can explore if we choose to do so. Doesn't have to be those exact moves but some fans just like to nit pick and belittle. We do have lots of prospects and draft power to engage on multiple things. It's actually nice for a change.

If Hughes did something like that, I think I would personally like it. Dubois for free and Laine cost is manageable. I don't think that warrants automatic no. Both when on their game would no doubt help our team. I do have a lot of faith in our young core and MSL as our coach to get the best and motivate players.

Those moves are reachable for us (regardless if we should do it or not). What do you prefer? Propose something for McDavid and we don't have the assets to acquire? Nit pick or Belittle that

What are your guesses at what Hughes will do to add top 6F talent to this roster? I'm all ears. I do think he's looking at making more Newhook and Dach trades and I would assume we all agree with this.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It does make the most sense but has to happen before Dubois's NMC kicks in July 1st. Would the Flames retain where AAV becomes equal to both sides? Not sure. Huberdeau is also signed till 37 and is quite a bit older than Dubois. Higher AAV and older but for all the options we talk about, it probably has the higher probability
The cap difference is probably the biggest sticking point, but since the two teams are trending in different directions I feel like maybe something could be worked out, LA adding picks, and Calgary retaining possibly even more then the 2m difference if the pick(s) are good.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's not a proposal I want us to do like a little kid but you and others will think of it that way. It's a do you like if Hughes does these types or not. So your answer is no it appears.

The main point I was making was the various options we can explore if we choose to do so. Doesn't have to be those exact moves but some fans just like to nit pick and belittle. We do have lots of prospects and draft power to engage on multiple things. It's actually nice for a change.

If Hughes did something like that, I think I would personally like it. Dubois for free and Laine cost is manageable. I don't think that warrants automatic no. Both when on their game would no doubt help our team. I do have a lot of faith in our young core and MSL as our coach to get the best and motivate players.

Those moves are reachable for us (regardless if we should do it or not). What do you prefer? Propose something for McDavid and we don't have the assets to acquire? Nit pick or Belittle that

What are your guesses at what Hughes will do to add top 6F talent to this roster? I'm all ears. I do think he's looking at making more Newhook and Dach trades and I would assume we all agree with this.
Ehlers
Marchessault
Smith
Teravainen
Are names that make sense depending on price or AAV.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The cap difference is probably the biggest sticking point, but since the two teams are trending in different directions I feel like maybe something could be worked out, LA adding picks, and Calgary retaining possibly even more then the 2m difference if the pick(s) are good.

Reminds me of a fancier version of the Lucic/Neal trade.

How unhappy are the Kings with Dubois. Ask some fans and they will go crazy on you. lol. But what do the Kings really think about Dubois and how bad do the Flames want to unload Huberdeau.

Friggen Panthers escaped a 30+ contract and added Tkachuk in his prime. Brilliant!

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Someone from the Golden Knights will be a Hab is my guess, I’m not sure who it will be, but they have far too many guys making big money, and holes to fill from pending UFAs that they can’t re-sign that something will have to give.

Pavel Dorofeyev would be a solid addition to our top 6 group. He’s only 23 and has all the ability and talent to be an elite sniper. I think he’d be great on a line with Kirby Dach, and would really benefit from Dach’s playmaking ability.

If we could pry Dorofeyev and Nicholas Roy out of Vegas for some picks (say the Avs 2nd and Jordan Harris), I’d pull the trigger on the deal.

Habs lineup could look like:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Dorofeyev - Dach - Newhook
Roy (Joshua) - Roy - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - Armia

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Reinbacher/Mailloux/Kovacevic

Montembeault
Primeau

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ehlers
Marchessault
Smith
Teravainen
Are names that make sense depending on price or AAV.

Ehlers is not the type of piece we need. Love the player though (followed him closely with the Mooseheads). Habs go nowhere if we keep adding smurfs. Even the flashy ones. Sorry, but I don't have interest in building a regular season champion.

Marchessault is 33/34 next year. Sorry, I pass because he's going to want 3-5 years and probably 5. I have zero interest in adding a declining 33+ asset. Rather sign Monahan.

Smith? Which Smith? Will Smith? What makes you think he is available? I'd be interested in that but he doesn't fit the proven top 6F we want to add today. If not Will Smith, who?

Taravainen. Same comment as Ehlers. My reply would be different if our roster was loaded with skill/size and we needed those skater types like Ehlers and Taravainen.

We are far apart as to the types of proven top 6F we should add. I am however interested in Will Smith if the Sharks wanted a D return. We are talking about someone drafted 4th OA last year though.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Ehlers is not the type of piece we need. Love the player though (followed him closely with the Mooseheads). Habs go nowhere if we keep adding smurfs. Even the flashy ones. Sorry, but I don't have interest in building a regular season champion.

Marchessault is 33/34 next year. Sorry, I pass because he's going to want 3-5 years and probably 5. I have zero interest in adding a declining 33+ asset. Rather sign Monahan.

Smith? Which Smith? Will Smith? What makes you think he is available? I'd be interested in that but he doesn't fit the proven top 6F we want to add today. If not Will Smith, who?

Taravainen. Same comment as Ehlers. My reply would be different if our roster was loaded with skill/size and we needed those skater types like Ehlers and Taravainen.

We are far apart as to the types of proven top 6F we should add. I am however interested in Will Smith if the Sharks wanted a D return. We are talking about someone drafted 4th OA last year though.
I was referring to Reilly Smith. A good chunk if options I listed would act as stop gaps without blocking young guys long term.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Someone from the Golden Knights will be a Hab is my guess, I’m not sure who it will be, but they have far too many guys making big money, and holes to fill from pending UFAs that they can’t re-sign that something will have to give.

Pavel Dorofeyev would be a solid addition to our top 6 group. He’s only 23 and has all the ability and talent to be an elite sniper. I think he’d be great on a line with Kirby Dach, and would really benefit from Dach’s playmaking ability.

If we could pry Dorofeyev and Nicholas Roy out of Vegas for some picks (say the Avs 2nd and Jordan Harris), I’d pull the trigger on the deal.

Habs lineup could look like:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Dorofeyev - Dach - Newhook
Roy (Joshua) - Roy - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - Armia

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Reinbacher/Mailloux/Kovacevic

Montembeault
Primeau

I would prefer to add someone more proven and better than Roy if we are pushing him down to 3rd line. Otherwise, just give J Roy the chance instead.

My search is for guys like Zegras. Proven 60 pts guy at a young age and might be available. Ideally, it's someone more like Dach to be specific.

I was referring to Reilly Smith. A good chunk if options I listed would act as stop gaps without blocking young guys long term.

My reply to that is the same as the others. I'm thinking about more Newhook and Dach type trades. guys near the age of Suzuki and Caufield.

My personal search is not for 30+ guys. This is why you see names like Zegras, Laine, Dubois. Guys that fit our core and can grow with us as we improve.

We have Roy who is probably ready for top 6 usage. If we push him to 3rd line, can we at least add someone who is not 30+ and declining? We have a few of them already... Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak, Armia. Because I feel it is blocking Roy... adding one more is not what I would do. If I'm having Roy improve/develop on the 3rd line, it's because we added another Dach or Newhook.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Reminds me of a fancier version of the Lucic/Neal trade.

How unhappy are the Kings with Dubois. Ask some fans and they will go crazy on you. lol. But what do the Kings really think about Dubois and how bad do the Flames want to unload Huberdeau.

Friggen Panthers escaped a 30+ contract and added Tkachuk in his prime. Brilliant!
I don't think management is upset as much as the fans are, but a big reason they got PLD was that they were planning for Kopitar's eventual retirement at a time it looked like Byfield wasn't going to work out. Now that Byfield has gotten more or less gotten his NHL career back on track though they will want to change where those cap dollars are allocated.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Podkolzin is actually a solid player and would be an effective bottom 6 player. I've watched a good bit of Canucks games and he usually stands out. Although they will probably keep him and play him next year given that they will lose some forwards to free agency.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think management is upset as much as the fans are, but a big reason they got PLD was that they were planning for Kopitar's eventual retirement at a time it looked like Byfield wasn't going to work out. Now that Byfield has gotten more or less gotten his NHL career back on track though they will want to change where those cap dollars are allocated.

My gut tells me they will keep Dubois and try to manage it better next year. He did play 3C for most of the season with less talent. I just don't think that is his game... leading a line by himself.

$8.5M for someone they played 15 min/game and paid a high price to acquire. And no, I'm not buying the he sucked right away narrative. October was solid for him. 6 pts with 3 goals in 9 games. Played around 17-18 min/game and was a +1 like Danault. The Kings clearly tried to spread their talent over 3 lines with Dubois as the 3rd wheel. Many fans overlooking this part. When they made the move to trade and sign him, I was curious as to how they would use him on their roster. I thought they might try him on wing in their top 6.

However, maybe there is a Dubois/Huberdeau trade to be done. I can see both sides looking into that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'm surprised you even think those guys are what our current build needs.
First of all we are entering into a new phase of our rebuild; one where we are expected to compete in the Atlantic Division.
As for 6F talent I'm convinced Hughes will not try to force anything long term.
We still have to evaluate players like Roy and Newhook's progression with a healthy Dach.

This team is sorely missing competent role players who can play in the opposition's end of the rink.
I've been on record saying this is where Hughes is likely to invest to help give us some push back next season
Our special teams and our energy players have to get much better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm surprised you even think those guys are what our current build needs.
First of all we are entering into a new phase of our rebuild; one where we are expected to compete in the Atlantic Division.
As for 6F talent I'm convinced Hughes will not try to force anything long term.
We still have to evaluate players like Roy and Newhook's progression with a healthy Dach.

This team is sorely missing competent role players who can play in the opposition's end of the rink.
I've been on record saying this is where Hughes is likely to invest to help give us some push back next season
Our special teams and our energy players have to get much better.

It's a cost/availability formula. I would sign Dubois for free and do that Laine trade. Of course I would like to add McDavid or B Tkachuk. But you should get the point. Cost to add Dubois if bought out is free (would be a value contract). Laine cost is manageable for sure. Zegras for Guhle hurts though. Tough one to make.

If you listened and paid attention with Hughes, he is after guys around Suzuki and Caufield's age. I do see him trying to do more Dach/Newhook additions. Zegras fits that strategy and Dubois/Laine are slightly older but once again, it doesn't hurt us or our future. It's also not blocking anybody because Roy and Newhook with Dubois on a 3rd line is a very solid line that can cause a lot of damage. When I look at that posted roster (moves we could make if we wanted to), I see an improved roster and 3 very good lines we can roll that all have talent. D gets a bit younger with Guhle out though.

What are you trying to tell me? We stay put and keep monitoring the forward group we have? I still have big plans with Roy, Newhook and Dach if you actually looked at the roster and not be blinded by Dubois. haha.

B+ prospects and late 1st are not really going to help us add the top 6F's we need. And I have top 9 strategy BTW

Last edited:

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
It's a cost/availability formula. I would sign Dubois for free and do that Laine trade. Of course I would like to add McDavid or B Tkachuk. But you should get the point. Cost to add Dubois if bought out is free (would be a value contract). Laine cost is manageable for sure. Zegras for Guhle hurts though. Tough one to make.

If you listened and paid attention with Hughes, he is after guys around Suzuki and Caufield's age. I do see him trying to do more Dach/Newhook additions. Zegras fits that strategy and Dubois/Laine are slightly older but once again, it doesn't hurt us or our future. It's also not blocking anybody because Roy and Newhook with Dubois on a 3rd line is a very solid line that can cause a lot of damage. When I look at that posted roster (moves we could make if we wanted to), I see an improved roster and 3 very good lines we can roll that all have talent. D gets a bit younger with Guhle out though.

What are you trying to tell me? We stay put and keep monitoring the forward group we have? I still have big plans with Roy, Newhook and Dach if you actually looked at the roster and not be blinded by Dubois. haha.

B+ prospects and late 1st are not really going to help us add the top 6F's we need. And I have top 9 strategy BTW
Would you sign Dubois? Tell us, we haven't had your opinion on this yet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Stop asking me and I won't repeat it. A new poster keeps bumping it forward and then you guys all complain about it. How about you target the ones who come a date late and bump it forward complaining about it?

It's not rocket science. Yes, I would easily sign Dubois if he is bought out. Something like 4x $4M. I don't believe he is cancer like the bandwagon herd have come to party about. Easy decision for me to sign him to a value contract.

I stand firm and yes, I will repeat it if a new poster bumps it forward again. Deal with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Guy Larose

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Is this sarcasm or you haven’t read the second sentence of his post?

Stop asking me and I won't repeat it. A new poster keeps bumping it forward and then you guys all complain about it. How about you target the ones who come a date late and bump it forward complaining about it?

It's not rocket science. Yes, I would easily sign Dubois if he is bought out. Something like 4x $4M. I don't believe he is cancer like the bandwagon herd have come to party about. Easy decision for me to sign him to a value contract.

I stand firm and yes, I will repeat it if a new poster bumps it forward again. Deal with it.
Dude would literally be poison to our young forward core 🤮

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
You know asking the question and then laughing at the reply shows your character. That's on you and you lost respect from me for doing that.
I laughed because you're like a broken record. We heard you the first hundred times. Even in that post you just replied to, you repeated yourself again. We get it, you like him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is this sarcasm or you haven’t read the second sentence of his post?

Dude would literally be poison to our young forward core 🤮

I don't believe so. I don't think he is that evil and I think the whole thing has been exaggerated past reality because lots of fans are tired talking about it.

I personally think this is a alienate him type narrative now.

I'm perfectly find chit chatting about it with respect. Some people just can't handle it.

I laughed because you're like a broken record. We heard you the first hundred times. Even in that post you just replied to, you repeated yourself again. We get it, you like him.

Yes, I have to repeat it. It's a new post about Dubois. Roy / Dubois / Newhook on a 3rd line with two very good lines above them works for me. I'm comfortable with it regardless of how bad others want to attack it.

Come on man... if you don't like it, don't fuel it. That's a reasonable statement

Reactions: Guy Larose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad