Confirmed with Link: Trade! Petersen & Walker & Grans and a 2024 2nd to Flyers : Kings 30% retention on Provorov and get Connauton and Hodgson

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Salary cap is low this year and most teams are spent out. In two years the cap is higher and a max term deal takes him to age 37 as opposed to 35. THis makes perfect sense for Gavrikov. He's either one smart dude or I want his agent to negotiate my next deal.
A lot of injuries can happen to 30 year old defenseman in 2 years. If his agent isn’t telling him to get the biggest deal he can right now, he should be looking for a new agent.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
The truth hurts....and is sad.

What's worse is that this team will likely be no better than the team that we ended this past season with -- which wasn't good enough. More likely, this team is worse than that team because:
1. No Korpi;
2. Can Copley really duplicate last season?
3. Kopi & DD are yet another year older
4. actually had relatively good health for the 2022-2023 season.

Maybe we get a better version of QB and those young guys step up to help improve the team. That's maybe a bit of a reach though.
Look at what Vegas is doing with Hill. I'm not as worried about the goaltender. Look at what Copley was able to do...it wasn't like it was a small sample size.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
🤣 😂 🤣 😂
giphy-5.gif

Reactions: KINGS17

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
A lot of injuries can happen to 30 year old defenseman in 2 years. If his agent isn’t telling him to get the biggest deal he can right now, he should be looking for a new agent.
I think it's a smart bet. Gav is not a big checker like Gudas and wins battles by taking smart angles and using his size effectively to shield the puck. Of course, anything can happen in a physical sport, but worst case, Gav walks with another $12 mm for two years and is set for life with the money he's already made. Plus, if the Kings fall off, he will make an awfully sweet rental for a contender as he won't be handicapped by term. If it pays off and he keeps up this level of play, a $7-$8 mm dollar deal could be on the table in two years with the cap rising substantially.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Right. My next biggest concern is that we've still got Durzi, which means that we probably either play Durzi on the left side with Roy or play Clarke on the right side in Ontario.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Fiala - Lizotte - Vilardi
Iafallo - JAD - Grundstrom

Anderson - Doughty
Durzi - Roy
Bjornfot - Clarke
Spence

???
Copley

This is where I see the team right now. We need a second or third line center, a first string goalie, and two left-handed defensemen. Gavrikov is an obvious one. Not sure how we find a 2C, 1G, or 3LD. Two of those are big holes to fill, and we're hamstrung $3 million by Provorov and Richards. Blake's got a lot more work to do.

Regardless, this was a trade that needed to happen.
Good analysis. But a few things…

Bjornfot and Fagemo are waiver eligible. And I still think and hope the Kings add a tough LHD to play on the 3rd pair to play with Spence or Clarke. They can move Durzi.

Reactions: Piston

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I like Gavrikov at 2 years to be honest if it happens he will start declining after that.

Shedding Cal and not giving up a first was a big win.

Grans was not gonna play in LA due to depth. Rather trade him than let him walk or get picked off waivers the following year.

Walker was a boat anchor. Glad he set sail.

Would love to see Arvidson go for a late first at the draft.

Would love to see Durzi go in a move to trade that late first to a mid first and grab a guy who fell.

We got Rid of Faust on top of it. I’m not even calling my Dr after this 36 hour boner !

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Well Blake got rid of Peterson, but it cost the Kings a real lot to do so. He shouldn't have signed Peterson to that monster contract in the first place. Blake is not the guy to bring the Kings back to being Cup contenders.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Well Blake got rid of Peterson, but it cost the Kings a real lot to do so. He shouldn't have signed Peterson to that monster contract in the first place. Blake is not the guy to bring the Kings back to being Cup contenders.
Lombardi made some pretty shitty moves and still won two cups. Imagine that.

Reactions: johnjm22

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Man a lot of you guys sound like wives bitching at a husband for the time he lit the couch on fire 3 years ago. Has nothing to do with the fact that he sold the lawn furniture covered in bullshit for 2$ and her 2nd favorite hair drier on offerup.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I think it's a smart bet. Gav is not a big checker like Gudas and wins battles by taking smart angles and using his size effectively to shield the puck. Of course, anything can happen in a physical sport, but worst case, Gav walks with another $12 mm for two years and is set for life with the money he's already made. Plus, if the Kings fall off, he will make an awfully sweet rental for a contender as he won't be handicapped by term. If it pays off and he keeps up this level of play, a $7-$8 mm dollar deal could be on the table in two years with the cap rising substantially.
Yeah Walker wasn’t a big checker either and we saw how back to back season ending injuries went for him. Anyway you’re right that even if he “only” makes 12 million more that’s a lot of money but we all know how most athletes are with budgeting.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I believe his shitty moves were after winning those Cups, not before. Richards did help win a Cup and then went off the cliff.
Please don't make me look up every shitty move done by a GM in last 10 years prior to winning a cup.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Fiala - Lizotte - Vilardi
Iafallo - JAD - Grundstrom

This is where I see the team right now. We need a second or third line center, a first string goalie, and two left-handed defensemen.
If the Kings want to keep Byfield on wing, there's no shortage of interesting and potentially cheap centers on the UFA market that could fill the 3C spot:

I would be against it though. I think Byfield should be the 3rd line center.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Man a lot of you guys sound like wives bitching at a husband for the time he lit the couch on fire 3 years ago. Has nothing to do with the fact that he sold the lawn furniture covered in bullshit for 2$ and her 2nd favorite hair drier on offerup.
Nah your analogy’s off. The husband bought the boat, lit it on fire and watched it burn until it was no longer seaworthy just last year. Now he’s saying he got someone to take the boat, just had to give them the new car we just paid cash for last month.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I'm kind of surprised with the reaction as well. No GM is going to make perfect moves. Blake has had a couple of stinkers, but nobody has a crystal ball. Blake did exactly what he needed to do to clear cap space for us to get the signings we need done. Ideal? No, but had to be done. This team is not that far off...especially if Clarke does well and we can solidify our defense.

Blake paid a hefty price to go back exactly to the team that had no chance to compete in the playoff assuming Gavrikov and Korpisalo resign
Only difference is we have less assets then before

This is why people are pissed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad