Confirmed with Link: Trade! Petersen & Walker & Grans and a 2024 2nd to Flyers : Kings 30% retention on Provorov and get Connauton and Hodgson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Man a lot of you guys sound like wives bitching at a husband for the time he lit the couch on fire 3 years ago. Has nothing to do with the fact that he sold the lawn furniture covered in bullshit for 2$ and her 2nd favorite hair drier on offerup.
Can you imagine how depressing it would be to watch a game with this group?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Blake paid a hefty price to go back exactly to the team that had no chance to compete in the playoff assuming Gavrikov and Korpisalo resign
Only difference is we have less assets then before

This is why people are pissed
So you wanted Cal and Walker on the roster? lol...f***ing Twilight Zone

Reactions: Ghetty Green

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Look at what Vegas is doing with Hill. I'm not as worried about the goaltender. Look at what Copley was able to do...it wasn't like it was a small sample size.
They just told Copley that no matter how well he played, no matter how big of a difference he made to the team's season, that he was NOT good enough to be the team's starter in the playoffs despite being the best goalie the team had in 22-23.

Now he is the man? Until later in the year when Blake trades the 2024 first rounder for someone better on paper?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
People are delusional if they think Walker had any value at all. He was a negative asset.

His comps are Troy Stretcher and Christian Wolanin, except Walker has more than double the cap hit.
Which is why you buy him out and not pay someone to take 1 year of his contract. Its just better business.

I can't help but wonder if Vilardi's negotiations prompted this deal. If he isn't willing to go short-term, they needed that space now.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
if we can just get Luc on a Space Ex rocket to Mars to go plant vegetables for the native martians on the planet it would be the perfect off-season.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I think you guys are overreacting a little bit on draining the prospect pool. Grans was most likely not going to have a spot on this team. No matter how we got here, Blake managed to put us in a better position for next year.
Folks, y'all really need to think deeper on these things. It's not about trading of assets. It's not about whether this is a good or a bad trade. It's about mismanagement. Lemme try to explain what I mean:

Trading Grans and a 2nd is fine. Trading Quick is fine. Trading a 1st is fine. Trading a 1st and Faber is fine. But all of those moves you do when the team is ready to be pushed over the top.

When the Kings traded for Mike Richards, they traded their #1 prospect as the centerpiece and no one was upset about it.

When the Kings traded for Jeff Carter, they moved their #3 defenseman and a 1st for him. No one was upset about it.

Why? Because the team was ready to make those moves. They were being led by their young stars and needed to fill gaps to be a championship team. That's nowhere near where this team is at. They've made these trades while trying to fast track a rebuild. Signing Danault, trading for Fiala, these are all moves you make when a team is on the cusp...not when they've just picked 2nd overall.

These moves are all closer to the Lucic and Sekera trade...and we all know how those worked out.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Which is why you buy him out and not pay someone to take 1 year of his contract. Its just better business.

I can't help but wonder if Vilardi's negotiations prompted this deal. If he isn't willing to go short-term, they needed that space now.
I wonder what Vilardi's camp thought when they saw the Caufield contract.

From Vilardi's perspective, he might want long term security because of injury issues.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Wow, you really will go to any effort possible in support of the current Kings FO/Organization.
it's not that difficult, dude. We have a pretty good up and coming team - 104 points in case you missed it. We just dumped the goalie that cost us the division and we opened up space for the board's love children in either Clarke or Spence.

Sack up, buttercup.

All this trade is is blake cleaning up his own mess.
Wow, can't get anything past you.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Kings have traded thus far:

Petersen (Blake’s own stupid contract)
1st 2023
2nd 2023
3rd 2024
5th 2024
Lemieux
Grans
Walker
Quick

Kings got
Korpisalo who’s leaving
Gavrikov
MacEwen
connatoun
Hodgson

LOOKS GREAT TO ME BOYS.

Best part of the sacrifices Blake has made for clearing salary has been idiotic extensions he’s done himself.

Top class.
To me anything under the third round pick is really nothing. Wasn’t the biggest fan of Grans. He was viewed boom or bust at the draft, and he seem to have regressed last year instead of cleaning up the stuff he had to. Obviously the biggest loss in the bottom names underneath the third pick

MacEwen came over after being injured and not having played in a while, and could not catch up to the pace of game, nor could he really fight with his broken jaw. He is an RFA and should be nothing more than a league minimum salary. If we can’t find anyone better, he might not be a bad 13th forward option if he’s recovered. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if they just let them go either.

The big name that was traded here was Gavrikov who fit here like a glove.

So basically, I see it as trading a First Second, and third for Gavrikov. If it’s the rumor to your contract, he is supposed to sign then we have him for three playoff run.

Blake has given himself some space to resign the rfa’s and go get a decent goalie. We also have an over abundance of forwards and we may see Herb Woodson and celery moved out for pics to recoup but we have lost

Don’t forget that we traded the third for Portillo, who may be our goalie of the future.

A lot of fans on here bitched about Lemieux, weekly basis, and Walker on an almost game by game basis.

I’m not a big Blake fan, but he traded Quick who was a massive detriment to the team all year. That took them out of balls to do. Yes, we might not have been Stanley Cup contenders but at least he gave us a better chance to go for it when he made the trade.

If Gavrikov re-signs a contract here, and we add Clarke or defense is already 10 times better than it was for the first half of last year. Paragraph a league average goalie would be better than anything we had for the first half of last year as well.

Byfield hopefully will not be injured right off the bat and take the next step as well hopefully are other young guys.

No matter what we’re sitting in a way better shape than we were lost off-season at the beginning of the year

Going to let this off-season play out a bit before I start to worry

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I wonder what Vilardi's camp thought when they saw the Caufield contract.

From Vilardi's perspective, he might want long term security because of injury issues.

Exactly my thoughts. Gabe should be looking out for himself here.

Reactions: jgs

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Well i just hope that Blake doesn't mess up the Vilardi, Gorvikov and not sure on if he is thinking of bringing back Korpi. Hope he doesn't overpay like he did in the Peterson deal.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Whether we like it or not, Kings are in WIN NOW mode. This deal makes sense from that perspective.

You can't change what's been done. I guess you can go for it all the next two years. Then when it all crashes, fire everyone, and start a clean/proper rebuild.

In the meantime it could be fun.

They are actually in WIN HOW? mode.

They can't even win a round with this roster. Why pay extra just to stay the course that keeps ending in a cul de sac?

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I didn't know there were so many Helge Grans stans on here.
because they have not been to a reign game, he is at best inconsistent , has size but doesn't use it much, and was not going to pass any of spence, clarke or roy in the near or mid future ....thought highly of around the league so perfect trade part just not sure this was the right trade. Nice to get some breathing room using sean and cal but we should never have been in this position to begin with

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
So you wanted Cal and Walker on the roster? lol...f***ing Twilight Zone
This is not at all what i am saying, you really need to stop making stuff up what people try to say.

My point is that it absolutely doesn't matter we have Cal and Walker on the team.
Yes, i would not mind having them traded but not paying to trade give them away without any chance of progress.

We are back exactly to the same team when the playoff started just paid Grans and a 2nd to get there.
This is a colossal waste of assets

Reactions: JJDrums

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Kudos to Vlad Gavrikov and his agent- they played this brilliantly. With all contending teams up tight against the salary cap, Gav would have had to take a contract with a bottom dweller with cap space. Instead, they recognized that Blake was desperate. RB could not let Gav walk for nothing so they press for a short term deal with larger dollars knowing the cap will be higher in a couple of years. Thus, they forced Blake to make a less than ideal trade to raise cap space knowing that Gav can come back to the market at age 29 with a much higher salary cap seeking a max term contract. Thus, barring injury, Gavrikov can maximize the amount of dollars he will make over his career. Blake got played, pure and simple because he put himself in a box to begin with.
I'm willing to be critical of Blake but we have no idea what his goals are with the contract. Personally, I'm fine with not signing Gavrikov to an 8-year deal that takes him into his mid-30s. We can't just assume that Blake was forced to take a 2-year deal from Gavrikov's agent. (I get that there are numbers between 2 and 8 but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Blake is ok have cap and contract flexibility in a few years.)

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'd be ok continually giving up assets if it means we're filling holes. Fiala, Arvi and Portillo are examples of such. But what we're doing is treading water here while Kopi and DD age. If one or both of those fall off a cliff performance wise due to age finally catching up to them (if it hasn't started already) -- yikes. We're still a fragile, weak, very small team that also lacks a goalie and LHD among other things.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Surprised to see people upset. We got rid of Petersen and Walker without giving up a first.

This doesn’t fix the whole team in one go, but it’s what we were all hoping for. There’s still work to be done but it’s an improvement for sure.

Many here were still of the belief that the Kings were going to be able to contend for a SC in the final years of Kopitar and Doughty and remain contenders once they left. It was a bit of a pie in the sky belief, and now with so many young assets moved or buried it’sclear to everyone what their goal is. This teams u-25 talent is really bad, which is amazing with how many high picks they had.

I was fine with this until I saw the rumoured term for the Gavrikov extension. That makes it kind of underwhelming.

Gavrikov and his agent know the Kings are in a unique situation where the team has a very limited window to compete and the GM will have egg on his face if Gavrikov leaves. They can ask for big money for a limited term (2 years) and for the reasons above the Kings are more likely to do it. Gavrikov can then sign wherever he wants in 2 years as the Kings are tearing it down and isn’t at the mercy of where the Kings trade him. He’s also just young enough where someone will give him a longer term extension in two years, so he maximizes his career earnings, which is a big deal to him.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
because they have not been to a reign game, he is at best inconsistent , has size but doesn't use it much, and was not going to pass any of spence, clarke or roy in the near or mid future ....thought highly of around the league so perfect trade part just not sure this was the right trade. Nice to get some breathing room using sean and cal but we should never have been in this position to begin with
Can u please stop bringing logic into this discussion? Do you know which board you are on ?

Reactions: yankeeking

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
They are actually in WIN HOW? mode.

They can't even win a round with this roster. Why pay extra just to stay the course that keeps ending in a cul de sac?
The the how is:
Byfield, Clarke, Kaliyev emerging. Vilardi taking another step forward. The vets maintaining a similar level of play. And somehow getting a good goaltender.

They need a lot of things to go right, but it's not impossible.

If it were up to me, things wouldn't be getting done this way. We still would've tanked the last 2 years. But what's done is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad