Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If we need to create room on the wing, I would rather move Donato for a mid round draft pick than moving Zucker and not getting a decent return.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we need to create room on the wing, I would rather move Donato for a mid round draft pick than moving Zucker and not getting a decent return.

What about moving Donato for a mid round pick vs getting a decent return for Zucker? And what would you consider a decent return?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Foligno for a 2nd
Pateryn for a 3rd/4th
Donato for a 3rd/4th

Adding that to our own high 1st, high 2nd and high 4th is plenty of additional draft capital, plus nearly $7 million in newly opened cap space.

I'd much rather do that than Zucker for a 1st (right now).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The question then is what you consider decent return?

I think Donato is gone regardless of a Zucker trade because he too is part of the log jam as it is, Zucker moving creates the top 6 LW spot for Fiala to shift to... Donato moving only, doesn't.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Foligno for a 2nd
Pateryn for a 3rd/4th
Donato for a 3rd/4th

Adding that to our own high 1st, high 2nd and high 4th is plenty of additional draft capital, plus nearly $7 million in newly opened cap space.

I'd much rather do that than Zucker for a 1st (right now).
So with Kap coming next year, does that mean we are bumping Fiala to 3RW or Zucc?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The late first would be a reset on the cap cycle for Zucker and loosen up the log jam at LW that needs to be solved pretty soon with incoming wingers.

The late first could end being a bust. I understand that it would reset the cap cycle for Zucker, but I'd rather trade Donato and Foligno to loosen up the log jam on the left side.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So with Kap coming next year, does that mean we are bumping Fiala to 3RW or Zucc?

I think the hope if you keep Zucker is that Zucker, Fiala, Kaprizov and Zuccarello would play top 6, Parise, Greenway/Foligno, Hartman and Kunin would play bottom 6.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The late first could end being a bust. I understand that it would reset the cap cycle for Zucker, but I'd rather trade Donato and Foligno to loosen up the log jam on the left side.

The late first could also be the next Pastrnak.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The question then is what you consider decent return?

I think Donato is gone regardless of a Zucker trade because he too is part of the log jam as it is, Zucker moving creates the top 6 LW spot for Fiala to shift to... Donato moving only, doesn't.

2020 1st (top 20 selection) + top 6 center prospect or top 4 defense prospect

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Both are out of position as 3rd line RW. We have to make room on the left for Fiala. He will replace Zucker's production there, Kap will replace Fiala's on the right.

Whatever we get in return for Zucker, wil be used for other improvements to the lineup or prospect pool.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think the hope if you keep Zucker is that Zucker, Fiala, Kaprizov and Zuccarello would play top 6, Parise, Greenway/Foligno, Hartman and Kunin would play bottom 6.
mmm true didn't think of bumping parise down. BB needs to be gone for that to happen though right? cant see Fiala above Parise in his eyes.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
mmm true didn't think of bumping parise down. BB needs to be gone for that to happen though right? cant see Fiala above Parise in his eyes.

Yeah I don’t see any way Boudreau plays all of Fiala, Zucker and Kaprizov over Parise.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Both are out of position as 3rd line RW. We have to make room on the left for Fiala. He will replace Zucker's production there, Kap will replace Fiala's on the right.

Whatever we get in return for Zucker, wil be used for other improvements to the lineup or prospect pool.
my question was with him trading donato and keeping zucker meaning zucker stays on the LW along with Parise and then Kap walks in needing to make room in the top 6. Parise to 3LW makes the most sense.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

FWIW I still think Donato could succeed here if Bruce stopped trying to play him in a checking role. The only opportunity he’s gotten here this year has been fourth line and 2C, neither of which he is.

I understand finding a spot where Donato can succeed is maybe easier said than done, but that’s Boudreau’s job. And he’s not doing it. Donato looked good last year when he was in a scoring LW role.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
my question was with him trading donato and keeping zucker meaning zucker stays on the LW along with Parise and then Kap walks in needing to make room in the top 6. Parise to 3LW makes the most sense.

Zucker will eventually be gone, if guys like Boldy, Beckman and/or Firstov turn out to be NHL-caliber players, the question is just a matter of when. But until we see more of those guys, I wouldn't be in all that much of a rush. If he's worth a 1st and prospect right now, he'll be worth a 1st and prospect in the summer of 2021.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zucker will eventually be gone, if guys like Boldy, Beckman and/or Firstov turn out to be NHL-caliber players, the question is just a matter of when. But until we see more of those guys, I wouldn't be in all that much of a rush. If he's worth a 1st and prospect right now, he'll be worth a 1st and prospect in the summer of 2021.

Not necessarily. Case in point: his last two years.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
FWIW I still think Donato could succeed here if Bruce stopped trying to play him in a checking role. The only opportunity he’s gotten here this year has been fourth line and 2C, neither of which he is.

I understand finding a spot where Donato can succeed is maybe easier said than done, but that’s Boudreau’s job. And he’s not doing it. Donato looked good last year when he was in a scoring LW role.
Donato is not better than either Zach or Zucker though, which is why he has no top 6 LW spot to play him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Are you committing Greenway to the 4th line no matter what?

That's where he'd be in this hypothetical, at least to start. I've never been all that high on his upside, even since the draft, so him being on the 4th line doesn't bother me that much.

I guess in a perfect world you have him and Parise have an honest competition for the #3LW spot, but the world ain't perfect.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
if he only gets 30-40 points next year his value would drop would it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad