GDT: Trade deadline 2021

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Tim Thomas, holy shit. Forgot how insanely good he was.

True, but I also see a .910, a .911 and a .914 winning a Cup in the last 10 years, with Holtby's .922 being 4th worst among all 10 years shown. Which says, its not absolutely required to have a goalie stand on his head all playoffs long to win a Cup.

But it is 100% absolutely required to have a goalie make a dozen or more really timely saves at key times, to win a Cup, and in every case hidden behind those 10 percentages, that's the real story.

Holtby was not "spectacular" all playoffs long, but he made "the save" and he came up super large when down 3 games to 2 vs TB in the ECF. Turns out that was all we needed from him.

Reactions: HecticGlow

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I would love to see absolutely nothing happen today. It would tell the players that its up to them, there isn't some savior coming in at the last minute to bail them all out. It would tell them they aren't 1 player away, they are 20 players away, and if all 20 do their part that's all they need.

Its worked before.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

His last two seasons haven’t been impressive but damn if this doesn’t intrigue me!

Edit: dang he has 4 years left at $5.95M. Not quite as interested now, unless Dillon and Panik are going the other way.

Reactions: crab

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Sponsor
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

His last two seasons haven’t been impressive but damn if this doesn’t intrigue me!

Doesn't he play LD? Didn't we just trade away a LD because we have a logjam of LDs (between the current roster and Fehervary/Alexeyev in Hershey?

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Edit: dang he has 4 years left at $5.95M. Not quite as interested now, unless Dillon and Panik are going the other way.

Benning is that dumb too

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I don't see them doing anything at LD. They obviously feel pretty comfortable with Dillon, Orlov, and Chara or they wouldn't have traded Siegs.

Depth forward who can play center or wing will be it and they'll call it a day.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think we need a goaltender because Vanecek isn't fine in the starting role, but because depth wins Cups and I don't see Samsonov and Anderson as being strong enough should anything happen to Vitek.

Vitek has let in 3 or more goals in 16 of 28 games he's played in, and has been at or below .900 in 13 games this season. I'm not pinning the blame for that squarely on him, and he's been magnificent overall. But when goalscoring gets tougher in the playoffs, I'm nervous about whether a combination of Vanecek and this D-corps can consistently keep the GA down. If he isn't – like Grubauer wasn't in 2018 – it would be nice to have someone with a little more consistency to turn to than Samsonov or Anderson.

Alas, we don't. And there's no-one available. But that doesn't change the fact that I'd upgrade on Samsonov for this season if we could. The best we can do is bring in a responsible winger capable of meaningful depth offense to help give the middle-six the best shot at staying above water.

Cup winning with any significant contribution from the 2nd goalie is rare

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't see them doing anything at LD. They obviously feel pretty comfortable with Dillon, Orlov, and Chara or they wouldn't have traded Siegs.

Depth forward who can play center or wing will be it and they'll call it a day.

Unfortunately I think I agree with you, but I’m not convinced they don’t have an opening at 2LD beside Carlson. Dillon and Chara both seem like third pairing dudes at this point.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Reminder of why giving up assets to get a goalie seems unwise IMO:

Why Goaltending is Basically Random and Will Always Make You Look Stupid (In 5 Graphs)

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F57da1caa-42a2-4d82-b137-19d1de4b2ce7_1184x784.png

Even if a goalie is doing pretty well now, there's no repeatability in their performances outside of very few exceptions! And Jonathan Bernier/Chris Drieger/David Rittich/whoever else likely aren't these exceptions!

Just roll with who you have, and upgrade the skaters.

Counter point might be Huet who led the Caps to the playoffs when Kolzig was fading. I don't know that a Huet is out there.

But as I said in the gdt last night I think VV is 1A, and some kind of split down the stretch to keep competition levels high while preserving fitness is probably ideal.

Reactions: twabby

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Didn't we win the Cup by playing our backup after our starter dropped the first two games of the postseason? ;)

Grubauer had never been a #1 in his career at that point. He was the back up. He wasnt the vezina trophy/nhl record for wins in a season goalie.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Didn't we win the Cup by playing our backup after our starter dropped the first two games of the postseason? ;)
Technically we won the cup when our backup dropped the first two games of playoffs and the starter came in... but yeah.... they went with grubs bc holtby was off. Worked out perfectly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

I'd still take him back pretty easily, if it wasn't for the COVID scenario. Pretty much everything in Vancouver is coming with a gigantic question mark thanks to their widespread COVID infections and significant time off.

Reactions: twabby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad