Speculation: Trade and Free Agency - 2024-25

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Did you have a problem with signing Foligno/Hartman/Zucc to their extensions? It’s basically the same thing. I don’t think it’s great to be blocking a young player because you signed a vet for too long.

At some point, it’s better to have an ELC be the third pairing guy. A 1-2 year extension gives plenty of development time for say… Jack Peart to make a mark.

I had no issue with the Hartman deal. Foligno I felt was a year too long....what I hated was re-signing Gaudreau to his extension and giving him a M-NTC to boot.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota is going to have a logjam at left defense and soon. Chisholm got his QO, so how long of a contract are we expecting for him?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Of course. Even with retention I'm not going to give up premium assets for him. Still, it doesn't sound like people are blowing Columbus' doors off with offers right now.
It's partly about the money, partly about character concerns, partly about his play. Not saying that Laine is a bad guy who tortures cats, but being in the player assistance program is not exactly a plus. His production topped out when he was a teen, and has declined ever since during what should've been his prime.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It's partly about the money, partly about character concerns, partly about his play. Not saying that Laine is a bad guy who tortures cats, but being in the player assistance program is not exactly a plus. His production topped out when he was a teen, and has declined ever since during what should've been his prime.
Certanly risk of course that’s why I wouldn’t want to pay a whole lot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If I recall correctly, I didn't have a problem with Hartman, I was more open-minded about Zucc than most people here, and I did not like the Foligno extension because a) I did not feel like he deserved a raise after a bad and injured season, and b) I was sick of his clown show at the end of the regular season and in the playoffs.

I don't think a 2-year extension in Middleton's situation is realistic at all. That would be him giving us a gift.
I mostly agree, but he and his agent might want him to bet on himself, thinking that the cap will go up substantially two years from now, and salaries commensurately.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
My concern with Middleton is how much of a complimentary player he is, I agree that we absolutely need his size and physicality in that slot, but the past season left a sour taste in my mouth any time he had to play with someone not named Faber or Spurgeon. I don’t think he has demonstrated the ability to carry even a third pairing at this time, and ideally that is where he would be on my vision for a competitive roster. We don’t have a replacement for him, so signing makes a lot of sense, but I think two years from now we are going to be wishing for an upgrade on him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My concern with Middleton is how much of a complimentary player he is, I agree that we absolutely need his size and physicality in that slot, but the past season left a sour taste in my mouth any time he had to play with someone not named Faber or Spurgeon. I don’t think he has demonstrated the ability to carry even a third pairing at this time, and ideally that is where he would be on my vision for a competitive roster. We don’t have a replacement for him, so signing makes a lot of sense, but I think two years from now we are going to be wishing for an upgrade on him.
Hopefully, but if he doesn't get another one of these full NMCs (and I swear to god, Bill...) he shouldn't be hard to trade, if it comes to that. There are almost always a few teams looking for a Middleton to plug into their roster for a year or two.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
The dartboards have spoken. Trenin it is.
So basically this is the guy Ohgren needs to beat to make the roster. I think I might be okay with this. As much as I love Ohgren, I do want his offensive game to develop and not him end up just as a grinder so if that means top minutes in the AHL bc he can't beat Trenin who plays 9-10mins on the Avs so be it

Reactions: Bazeek

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm out of the loop. Does PuckPedia count as a reliable source on this stuff? Because I haven't seen anyone else floating that number.

If it's accurate, woof.
No idea either thats why I'm hoping...

Trenin-Hartman-Foligno is a great line but 3.5 x 4 is just too much and if this ends up that one signing we need for secondary scoring.

However, it might end up okay if we STILL make another move for 2nd liner forward. I just don't know how we do it if we are already spending 3.5 on Trenin with our cap situation. Maybe we trade some dead weight out? Dunno...but until the clock hits 9am PST, im holding my breath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad