Proposal: Toughness to the Leafs

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
No to giving up Virtanen to Toronto
I want to sell him while his value is still high. He's been getting lucky goals and hasn't produced enough when playing with Pettersson. Got the speed shot toughness, but lacks the hockey iq. Ceiling is a good third liner. I hope he makes me eats crow.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I want to sell him while his value is still high. He's been getting lucky goals and hasn't produced enough when playing with Pettersson. Got the speed shot toughness, but lacks the hockey iq. Ceiling is a good third liner. I hope he makes me eats crow.

I get selling high but Connor Brown + isn’t even selling high on Jake

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I could have swore bad turnovers is what did the Leafs in.

Perhaps because they were more worried about the incoming hit rather than making the right play. I guess it's hard to practice handling physicality when they have no one playing that brand of hockey. Out of 12 fwds, only Kadri and Hyman hit any force. One is a top 6 winger with below average hands and the other is playing 3rd line C. Everyone else is meek that regard. I am a die hard fan but when Ennis is one of your most physical players, it is a problem. If they can get a top 6 winger who thrives in physical games, it would be a plus. A top 4 dman who can do the same would be even better.

Reactions: kyle o connor

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs need a 3rd/4th line energy player who can skate and hit. And potentially drop the gloves if need be. (Ennis Replacement)

Nick Ritchie
Miles Wood
Kyle Clifford
Marcus Foligno
Lawson Crouse
Etc...

Are some names that come to mind.

Leafs also need a bruiser on the back end (Oziganov Replacement)

Robert Bortuzzo
Radko Gudas
Adam McQuaid
Eric Gubrandson
etc...

Are some players that come to mind.

Any of those players available?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Leafs need a 3rd/4th line energy player who can skate and hit. And potentially drop the gloves if need be. (Ennis Replacement)

Nick Ritchie
Miles Wood
Kyle Clifford
Marcus Foligno
Lawson Crouse
Etc...

Robert Bortuzzo
Radko Gudas
Adam McQuaid
Eric Gubrandson
etc...

This.

The real challenge for the Leafs -- you look around the Eastern Conference, and I think they'd honestly take a match-up with just about anyone at this point. They're a high-powered offensive team, with incredible depth up front and typically stellar goaltending. Except of course Boston.

Sure, Tampa might beat them -- but if they do, it'll be at their own game -- simply a gunning match, with Tampa's better D maybe keeping the quality of shots down a little; but it would undoubtedly be a tough series to call.

With Boston, their physical play really dictates the game with the Leafs -- Toronto's roster is nowhere near equipped to go toe-to-toe physically, and they haven't figured out how to overcome it.

The challenge is, how do you equip this team to better handle physical play, without taking away from the formula that makes them successful against the other 29 teams?

To me, trading Connor Brown for Zack Kassian to play on the 4th line isn't the solution. Replacing Oziganhov on the 3rd pair with a Gudas, McQuaid, or Gudbranson isn't going to do that either. I think it comes down to (IMO) the mistake that was signing William Nylander rather than trading him for a defenceman that would push Hainsey down the lineup; and freed up the cap space where maybe they could go after a phyisical RW that can play with the speed of their top 9.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Adding someone like Gudas if the Flyers keep struggling could be an option

Heck, I'd go further and see if we can add Simmonds too. (Would obviously have to be a rental, but heck i'd look into it for our playoff run)

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Welp, if you want the Bear you're gonna have to accept it's appetite. Lucic wouldn't instantly bring intimidation and respect to the lineup, but it'll cost ya, 6mil per year

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Trade a 3rd or something for Maroon as a rental.

Hard pass on Maroon. He can barely skate and I think Maroon took a discount to sign with St.Louis anyways so that he can be near his son.

Leafs need players who can skate and hit. We had a Maroon type in Matt Martin just last season

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

HABSFTW

Jun 19, 2007
Thunder Bay
Leaf's didn't need toughness

They needed Matthews, Marner, Tavares to step up and put some points on the board. This team wasn't build to be tough they were built to score goals.
I agree they don't need toughness. However, thinking you're going to ride your high powered forwards and get a cup with that is off. You need to balance out that defense and I think your system a bit.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I agree they don't need toughness. However, thinking you're going to ride your high powered forwards and get a cup with that is off. You need to balance out that defense and I think your system a bit.

Agreed. Its about complimenting your group with a mix of everything.

We've clearly got the skill. Now its time to add the right amount of sandpaper to become a fully complete team who can challenge for the cup.

You have to be ready for every style of play in the playoffs if you plan on going far

Reactions: shortfuze

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
Honestly Simmonds sounds like your best bet. Probably wont be that expensive despite philly fans asking for a lot. A late Toronto 1st would be the main piece for him.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Honestly Simmonds sounds like your best bet. Probably wont be that expensive despite philly fans asking for a lot. A late Toronto 1st would be the main piece for him.

If that was indeed the price, Toronto would be all over it I think.

But the demand for Simmonds will be very high if he does actually hit the Market. Philly could snatch a big return if they play it right

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Nick Ritchie
Miles Wood
Kyle Clifford
Marcus Foligno
Lawson Crouse
Etc...

Robert Bortuzzo
Radko Gudas
Adam McQuaid
Eric Gubrandson
etc...

Could I interest you in a lightly used Dalton Prout?

...yes, he’s still in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad