Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
So he is known as a goal scorer but has been invisible his entire career? You make no sense.

He's a hard working grinding complimentary player who is good defensively.

Sounds like a good bottom 6 winger to me.

He's better on the forecheck too because he will get there in time.
He scored 21 in 30 games his last season in the AHL. He was invisible his entire NHL career until that hot stretch where he was only known for his goal scoring. Pretty simple to understand really.

Again, if he is so good at all that then he should've been able to easily make an impression during his pre season games. Instead he lost out and will have to earn his spot back when he gets his chance to play again which probably won't be too long.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To be fair, I claimed over a period of years, they were the second best. It's a fact. No spin can change that.

But here are the years anyway.

2023/24 - 7th.
2022/23 - 2nd best
2021/22 - 1st
2020/21 - 16th
2019/20 - 6th
2018/19 - 8th
2017/18 - 2nd

Just for reference sake, as to where this started...

It was in response to this.

Marner and Rielly on the same PP unit, have been a top PP unit in the league for years. It was tops in the NHL last year, until the wheels fell off the bus when Marner got injured. It's been top two three times, and top ten three times. On aggregate, it's top two or three over an extended period of time. It's been a top two until, for the last three years... except for the last couple of months of last year. When you have a until that is first, or second, for something like 2.75 years... you don't blow it up, you tweak it to make sure it works all the time.

The top teams over that period are pretty consistent... it's been Edmonton, Tampa and Toronto dominating the top most of the time, and that is what you would guess.
The PP has always been good, during the regular season. I have no idea how much worse the numbers are for the playoffs, but my guess is that the drop off is substantial. But that fits with everything else on our team so could be that we're just cursed.

Reactions: Leterman

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

According to NHL.com. From 2019/20 to 2022/23 combined results second best PP over that time. Include last year, its third best.

You can go back to 2015/16 to present, and we are third best over that period in time as well.

Simple facts to look up. Cheers.

yeah, you said we are top 2 PP for years.

Turned out, you meant except the last year when we were 7th? And except in playoffs? And only if you check 19-22 seasons?

Yeah, if we ignore playoffs and ignore the last year and start with 2019, because we are 16th the year before ...

Not to mention all this bizarre gymnastic/aggregating to point out to Mitch as the reason why we have great PP? :D

Matthews is the one making sure we are not 16th each year. And even with that in mind, the last two playoffs and last regular season - meaning the last TWO YEARS OF HOCKEY. We are nowhere near top2 PP.

Simple facts. Cheers

Reactions: Gary Nylund

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I think I'll probably start embracing the fact that Patches is a Leaf when he's booed tonight in Montreal. Assuming 8pm puck drop roughly after the ceremony

6-1 Leafs

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
yeah, you said we are top 2 PP for years.

Turned out, you meant except the last year when we were 7th? And except in playoffs? And only if you check 19-22 seasons?

Yeah, if we ignore playoffs and ignore the last year and start with 2019, because we are 16th the year before ...

Not to mention all this bizarre gymnastic/aggregating to point out to Mitch as the reason why we have great PP? :D

Matthews is the one making sure we are not 16th each year. And even with that in mind, the last two playoffs and last regular season - meaning the last TWO YEARS OF HOCKEY. We are nowhere near top2 PP.

Simple facts. Cheers
It's amazing how much better everything about our team with this core looks if we just ignore playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why do they always start with Ottawa or that team out east on CBC? Wait and wait for months and we get this start to the season.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yep lets rerun the Tavares Nylander line...
There should be a email service were you could get a notice when they stop doing shit u hate...

• Haha
Reactions: OddyOh

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He is a 3rd line center being carried by his teammates. He had 65 points which as a 2nd line center now, isn't even good. His playoffs also wasn't anything to write home about.

It isn't a bad narrative when you watch him play and he doesn't meet the eye test for majority of the game.
- last year he was 38th in point for a centre and 29th in Goals.
- he's, at worst, average defensively
- he's one of the best face-off man's in the league.

So unless there's only like 15 1st line Cs and 20 2nd line Cs in a 32 team league, hes easily a 2nd line C and in the upper echelon of that group.

People are blinded by their hate of the contract and our lack of team success. He's obviously not been worth his contract, is not a top C in the league anymore, and declining. However, he's also obviously a quality 2nd line C (at minimum). If he has a tiny bounce back in production (5 points) he'd be #25 last year. If he continues to decline and only gets 50-55pts points this year, thats when we can talk about if he's still a 2nd line C.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think I'll probably start embracing the fact that Patches is a Leaf when he's booed tonight in Montreal. Assuming 8pm puck drop roughly after the ceremony

6-1 Leafs
I thought he was liked in Motreal?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think I am going to wait 20-25 games to decide if this Leafs team feels any different.

It is going to take awhile for Berube to instill everything he wants from this group.

I believe we will see some signs early, but also see the Leafs play the same for stretches as they try and break the habits of playing East/West for so long.

82 games to figure it out and be ready!

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Friedman saying the Leafs may be bringing Hildeby to Montreal tonight. So help me gods, if Woll is already hurt :laugh:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I think it's more likely that if they can house a third goalie under the cap tonight they don't want Stolarz to play (worst case if Woll needs a pull or injury) so that he can play tomorrow.

So put Stolarz in the press box to ensure he isn't needed, put Dennis on the bench in case of emergency, and Woll starts.

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad