Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
No, they don’t. I was saying you move a top 6 player away from a high end forward and their production likely drops, regardless of what the names are. That production is always tied to who you play with at some level whether you’re 26 and entering your prime or 34 and about to sign your retirement contract.
Well, if he's good for you, then okay.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
""

The enemy's lineup.

and yet it's been a top 2 NHL PP for years. (Except in the playoffs)

According to whom? You make a false statement with Dekes on auto like :D rofl TOP2 NHL PP for years?

damn Mitch really trying anything to squeeze more from the Leafs

PPLeafs.JPG

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
this idea that timmins is a good defencemen is ludacris hes a rover like rielly without the skating and defensive awareness either this move is a real wild card move if you wanted timmins on your third pair i dont think ekman larsson should be on the team much less your top 4 real bad signing if this is the way the 6 d shape out

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
this idea that timmins is a good defencemen is ludacris hes a rover like rielly without the skating and defensive awareness either this move is a real wild card move if you wanted timmins on your third pair i dont think ekman larsson should be on the team much less your top 4 real bad signing if his is the way the 6 d shape out

OEL was good enough to be a cup champion last year on Florida but shouldn’t be on our team at all?

Reactions: DarkKnight

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I can't wait for josh andersen to have 1 of his 3 games of the season where he is worth his deal against us tmrw. I'd say the odds on him scoring are like 50/50. dude has 13 goals against us, next highest is 10 against winnipeg...

Reactions: arso40

genk

Nov 15, 2015
That Montreal lineup is rough… I didn’t realize they would be so awful this year. They must be the favourites to place 32nd?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
OEL was good enough to be a cup champion last year on Florida but shouldn’t be on our team at all?
He was a #1 D man in Arizona, not exactly coming from the same spot as Timmins.

But, Nah, he's great.
JT is great
Timmins is great

The cup is ours!!!!!!!!! muhahahahwhahahahaha

Reijo

Sep 22, 2024
Hard to believe the journey is starting once again....
Such an unbeleavable adventure of minds and bodies and excitement. We do have a very hard team, compared to a lot of others like Lost others.

I don't like Marner and Rielly on the same PP unit.
Would you put ekky-larsson on the first unit sire?
I am interested to see how our pp's go on the first and how much beer are we consuming along other whiskeys.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Not sure why they don't try Marner at C. Pretty versatile guy that is defensively responsible. I think he would take to it better than Willy.

Knies Matthews Domi
Robertson Marner (patches?)
McMann Tavares Nylander

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
oel himself isnt the issue timmins on this team should be running pp2 thats maximizing what he does good cause hes not a good defender if oel is in hes going to be on the power play basically we shouldnt have both of them in the lineup is what im trying to say i dont know how you never understood that but thats what im saying 1 or the other not both should be in our top 6

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Of course, for who they are and the role they play.
Yes, it was the preseason where a player makes the team.

They also should get rewarded for past play no?

For example, McMann outplayed Reaves over an 82 game sample size plus the playoffs.

Or are the couple games where the games don't matter more important?

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015

For example, McMann outplayed Reaves over an 82 game sample size plus the playoffs.

The heat in Montreal right now is pretty high against the Leafs after the Laine game. That Jackeye kid is a reckless loose cannon that is going to injure someone. Happy having Reaves in the lineup thankyou.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The heat in Montreal right now is pretty high against the Leafs after the Laine game. That Jackeye kid is a reckless loose cannon that is going to injure someone. Happy having Reaves in the lineup thankyou.

Shockingly, players have done reckless things with Reaves in the lineup... he doesn't deter anyone.

Anyway, I don't care if he is in the lineup, he was good enough in the preseason.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Not sure why they don't try Marner at C. Pretty versatile guy that is defensively responsible. I think he would take to it better than Willy.

Knies Matthews Domi
Robertson Marner (patches?)
McMann Tavares Nylander
He hasn't played a shift at centre in the NHL, and hasn't played more than an odd shift in Junior.

There's a reason no coach since minor hockey will play him at centre.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He was a #1 D man in Arizona, not exactly coming from the same spot as Timmins.

But, Nah, he's great.
JT is great
Timmins is great

The cup is ours!!!!!!!!! muhahahahwhahahahaha
Not a fan of timmins either, but let's give him a chance in the regular season at least. There is a couple of key things I need to see from him:

1) He can provide offence from the backend. He isn't being played for his defensive game, nor is he being played because he is physical. He needs to produce at a somewhat respectable level, but that will depend on his role. I feel most confident in this of his game, I think he should be able to chip in 25ish points which is pretty good for a guy who won't see TOO much powerplay time

2) I need to see him play in our zone under pressure. This part completely skipped me with liljegren, that guy looks really solid with time and space, but the second a heavy and fast forecheck comes his way he crumbles more than those popular crumbl cookies. Someone here said it best when they essentially said "Liljegren moves the puck in a fashion which makes it someone elses problem", he didn't relieve the pressure, just past it along to someone else, sometimes in worse positions. I need to see Timmins has the ability to make plays with a guy barelling down on him, or that he can make an outlet pass with some pressure and not have it picked off. From what I've seen so far, Timmins in the past will have a great game with a point or two and helping set up goals but he will have a blunder and cost us a goal, this will be important because I don't expect him to produce too much in the playoffs but he can't be making those gardiner-esque plays because I know he will make them with the worst timing possible

3) He needs to remain defensively involved and somewhat physical, but not penalty taking alot. This along with above were my two biggest grips with him, He would either make a bad read/blunder the puck and they'd score, or he would end up taking a really dumb penalty. If he can at least be average defensively and not be scared of contact then it will make moving the puck for him easier too because he won't rush himself as much as guys like sandin and liljegren do

All in all, I don't really think he is suited for playoff hockey, but we should at least give him the regular season to show what he can be.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

McMann will play his role on the third line.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Honestly I don’t expect much to come in game 1. It wasn’t intentional on Laine. Laine himself downplayed it when asked days later. Xhekaj already got his pound of flesh, rules be damned. Pare isn’t on the game 1 roster

There really is no reason whatsoever for this to bleed over into game 1.

I haven’t really noticed anyone overly talking about it anymore.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Except this isn’t really true.
Okay, let’s leave out the powerplay.
JT was 25th in even strength goals and 31st in even strength points for all centers in the entire league last year which is effectively 1st line center production.

Even his skating was also clocked in season as nearly identical to the previous season.

He is still an above average 2C; just a very overpaid one for 1 more year.

He did have a goalless stretch. I think only scoring 20 is a big part of why people say he had a down year. Wouldn’t at all be shocked if he bounces back to 25-30 this season.
He will not. I'll be so freaking surprised if he does. I honestly get extremely disappointed every time I watch him, his play on ice does not reflect the point totals he puts up.

They are just missing a 1st line, a 1st pairing, and a starter... when they get those, they will do well.
They aren't missing a 1st line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad