Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Hard to believe the journey is starting once again....
Sadly with the run it again play book Shanny has the journey will be a short one

Lorentz and Kampf to me are two identical players. I dont see the need to have them both in the same line. I honestly don't understand how Kamp's 2.4M hasnt been traded yet. Lorentz are far cheaper

4th line should be McMann - Lorentz - Reaves

Thats still a line with Size and Snarl, and also adds a offensive touch in McMann
You have to have a willing partner for a trade and in what world woukd someone give anything for Kampf at that dollar figure

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
McMann should not be sitting
Thank Patches for that, or maybe Reeves? I don't know.
Berube reminds me of the Who song, hmmm, Won't Get Fooled Again?
Welcome to the new boss, same as the old boss.
Old school fool.

Last edited:

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Big opportunity for Timmins, let’s see if his defensive physicality has improved.
Playing Timmins is like betting the farm at the cassino on red or black.
Huge offense, skates, passes, shoots, and I have always thought with some seasoning he could be Jake Gardiner 2.0.
But get ready for some really boneheaded plays on D.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Jake, and thought the leaf fan base was way off in their condemnation of him.
I'm not sure Timmins is there yet, he has lost an awful lot of development time.
But that is what I see as his upside.
I'd actually play him over Lilly, who I think is also underrated but mentally damaged by the idiotic handling by Keefe.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Timmins is mentally damaged, that some people find his name too complicated to spell correctly.

We need to have a balanced organizational approach.
I feel previously we were too heavily weighted in the one direction but that doesn't mean the answer is to do the same thing but on the other end of the spectrum. We cannot just have a blueline that is big/physical and does all the foundational defensive things well but then cant move the puck or create any offense whatsoever.

Timmins/Liljegren fall pretty close in terms of the same bracket. Around the same age, around the same size, both RHD that have played less than 200 games in the NHL. Both players can provide some offense but both are prone to making some pretty egregious mistakes defensively. I would think that the new coaching/management sees it that Timmins can most likely bring around the same value to the table while costing almost 2 million less and if so, that's a big deal. If Liljegren was miles better defensively than I think this would be a much harder pivot but I'm not sure that is the case.

Many posters have been yelling for a few years now that Timmins deserves more of a chance so it looks like he's going to get it to start the season. He definitely has talent, the question will be can he avoid the bigtime defensive blunders.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is probably the best lineup they’ve had going into a season in quite a spell.

The October schedule is challenging enough to give the coaches an opportunity to judge what they have.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Playing Timmins is like betting the farm at the cassino on red or black.
Huge offense, skates, passes, shoots, and I have always thought with some seasoning he could be Jake Gardiner 2.0.
But get ready for some really boneheaded plays on D.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Jake, and thought the leaf fan base was way off in their condemnation of him.
I'm not sure Timmins is there yet, he has lost an awful lot of development time.
But that is what I see as his upside.
I'd actually play him over Lilly, who I think is also underrated but mentally damaged by the idiotic handling by Keefe.
Agreed, I’m not sold on him at all.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Should be a very easy win. Let’s see if the boys have learned anything this off-season.

That is often the attitude of our core, and then they don't play hard enough to actually execute, or only play one period or so. Hopefully Berube can instill a change in culture there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad