Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Xhekaj is going to be a dangerous idiot, no matter who plays. I value putting the best team out there and trying to win more than I value seeing Reaves and Xhekaj have some pointless slap fight.

Reaves will play 6-7 minutes in this game... spend as much time in the box. I would hope that we are good enough to beat Montreal, without having to worry about having the best lineup of all time.
More importantly, I don't want Costco targeting one of our better players as retribution, and having them out of the lineup for an extended period of time. That would hurt in the standings more.

Honestly, I have no idea what the league is doing here, setting up what is going to be a dangerous game and situation. I'm not a fan of this at all, but what happens in this game is purely on DoPs. I'd sooner have the Costco/Reaves types out of the game altogether, but where DoPs has basically said do as you want, and given the tone and mood given how the preseason games have gone... I don't think we have a choice here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If your success is down to a 4th liner playing or not you have a lot bigger issues.

I wonder what the Teams record was last season with Reaves playing vs him sitting?

Reactions: Madap

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Money certainly does talk and when it does people listen.

People complain about Tavares potting 65 points in a down year as a 2C... but want a guy at 2C who's career high is 49 points, and are willing to overpay.

I really like what Bennett brings to the table, but his play style is such that his shelf life isn't going to be long. The last time he played a full season was 2017/18. He'll continue playing 60ish games, as has been the case in the past, and eventually where down. I just don't see overpaying for that.

Reactions: Sypher04 and Kurtz

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Understand this is likely a one game lineup, that will be changed in game two. Understand why the lineup looks that way as well.

I agree... except DoPs has allowed Costco to do as he pleases. Would you prefer to go into that game without Reaves in the lineup, allowed Costco to be a goon with no real answer?

He will still do as he pleases, not sure he is scared of Reaves.

Reaves has played good enough that I don't mind him in the lineup.

The bigger issue is people pretending Reaves deters people and that is why he should be there.

He's come into camp prepared, that's why he should be getting games (still don't think he is the best option).

If your success is down to a 4th liner playing or not you have a lot bigger issues.

I wonder what the Teams record was last season with Reaves playing vs him sitting?

If the 4th line is neutral, that'd be great.

That wasn't the case last year, and that is the issue.

They hurt the team, I don't think many people expect the 4th line to help win.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The bigger issue is people pretending Reaves deters people and that is why he should be there.

He's come into camp prepared, that's why he should be getting games (still don't think he is the best option).

He's not scared of Reaves... but if they fight, that takes him off the ice. That hurts Montreal more than us. Down a 4th line forward vs. down a D man. Reaves isn't a deterrent, I'd agree there... but I think this particular game is a special situation. Given what's happened in the preseason, and what didn't happen with DoPs... I think we are looking at a bit of a sh!t show in this game. It's better to be prepared.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
People complain about Tavares potting 65 points in a down year as a 2C... but want a guy at 2C who's career high is 49 points, and are willing to overpay.

I really like what Bennett brings to the table, but his play style is such that his shelf life isn't going to be long. The last time he played a full season was 2017/18. He'll continue playing 60ish games, as has been the case in the past, and eventually where down. I just don't see overpaying for that.

Like I said I don't want them to walk away from Tavares but at the same time It's about more then points with Bennett

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015

If the 4th line is neutral, that'd be great.

That wasn't the case last year, and that is the issue.

They hurt the team, I don't think many people expect the 4th line to help win.
Most of our fourth lines were bad last year but for a bit we were running Holmberg - Kampf - Reaves and that worked really well. Wonder if that's ever given a shot again.

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Like I said I don't want them to walk away from Tavares but at the same time It's about more then points with Bennett

I think we've got to see how this season goes, before making any real roster decisions for next year. Does Tavares in fact decline?

Does the Nylander experiment at C get any further runway, which they claim will happen, or is it done? If he succeeds at C, then we don't need a 2C. (Not likely, but we shall see)

Do we fail again in the playoffs, resulting in a bit of a roster overhaul... then we've got bigger challenges, and options.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's not scared of Reaves... but if they fight, that takes him off the ice. That hurts Montreal more than us. Down a 4th line forward vs. down a D man. Reaves isn't a deterrent, I'd agree there... but I think this particular game is a special situation. Given what's happened in the preseason, and what didn't happen with DoPs... I think we are looking at a bit of a sh!t show in this game. It's better to be prepared.

As I said, I don't mind him being there because he's looked good in the preseason, so he's earned it (still don't think he is the best option).

But having him in the lineup just incase seems dumb.

Well, I am happy that the offseason b!tching with you guys is now over and we can now focus on real games (and in-season b!tching) lol

Every lose = we suck
Every win = doesn't matter, it's only the regular season

Every year..

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Don't agree with McMann being health bombed on opening night. It's going to be interesting to see what forwards are going to be rotated in and out of the lineup.

I would assume out of the 4, Lorentz/Reaves/Robertson/Patches are all going to take turns out of the lineup.

We badly need a new center at 2C.

They made all the moves in the summer on defense and completely ignored up front.. when the issue in playoffs is lack of SCORING

Infuriating
No, we badly need a number 3C that can provide two way play. Can Holmberg? Perhaps, but he's not a sure thing and everyone on this site knows it's deff not Kampf.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Reaves will play 6-7 minutes in this game... spend as much time in the box. I would hope that we are good enough to beat Montreal, without having to worry about having the best lineup of all time. More importantly, I don't want Costco targeting one of our better players as retribution, and having them out of the lineup for an extended period of time. That would hurt in the standings more.
Honestly, I have no idea what the league is doing here, setting up what is going to be a dangerous game and situation. I'm not a fan of this at all, but what happens in this game is purely on DoPs. I'd sooner have the Costco/Reaves types out of the game altogether, but where DoPs has basically said do as you want, and given the tone and mood given how the preseason games have gone... I don't think we have a choice here.
If Xhekaj wants to target one of our better players, then he will target one of our better players. Reaves doesn't change that.
All Reaves does is make our 4th line unplayable, our team worse, and if anything, provoke the chaos that we want to avoid.
Hopefully we do beat Montreal regardless, but it's a bad sign of where our new coach's head is at.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We've Tried Nylander at center, it failed again, because of course it did.

He played less than 4 periods at center.
That is not a legitimate attempt to be able to call it a failure.
This said, Berube has Willy still taking reps at center in practice and has said they will continue to use him at both C and wing.

Last edited:

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

They made all the moves in the summer on defense and completely ignored up front.. when the issue in playoffs is lack of SCORING

Infuriating
For better or worse, our offence relies on the core four due to their massive cap hits. They had to shore up the D and goaltending and hope our stars pull it together in the playoffs for once.

Plus, if the D and goalies actually end up working out, we only have one very clear hole at C we could address at the deadline. Anything could change, but currently it looks better than most years where we have multiple holes to fill.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I do not like McMann being scratched over the likes of Kampf, lorentz, holmberg or Reaves. Or even Paccioretty for that matter

Pretty clear this coaching staff value roles a lot more than Keefe did. McMann is a better player but he didn't show a lot in camp and I prefer Lorentz and Reaves on the 4th line for what they are being asked to do

Infuriating

And if they ignored the D and goal then you are saying this is the same as Dubas.

I want to see if adding defense who can take a hit and move the puck make a difference for scoring goals. Also not like we lack scoring in the lineup

Reactions: Sypher04

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Edit: I think Liljegren and Mcmann should be in, but they should at least get the next game (b2b) and I wouldn't be suprised if both take it and run after the disappointment of not being in the opening night roster.

I don't mind this to start the season. McMann will get his chance soon enough.

Berube made the right call with Robertson.

Reactions: Community

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

The Leafs have a 2C and a pretty good one contrary to the narrative put forth by some that he’s in steep decline and can’t be more than a 3C now.

3C is easily the biggest forward need.

Infuriating

Our defensive issues were a direct contributor to our offensive issues:

1) lack of point shots
2) lack of puck movement and production from the backend
3) too much time and energy spent defending.
4) weak side could exposed

Not to absolve anyone, but when your whole team struggles to score over multiple years and different supporting casts there might be systemic issues contributing to the challenges not just core issues.

This summer:
1) new head coach
2) new powerplay coach
3) one of the best defensive defensemen
4) a good puck moving defenseman
5) more balanced D
6) added Pacioretty, if healthy will help.

That’s not nothing to help the offense.

Keefe wasn’t able to implement a plan/style of game in the playoffs that maintained our ability to generate offensive while also keeping the defense tight enough to win.

Maybe Berube and his staff can. We’ll see.

I’m a firm believer good teams take on the attitude and traits of their coaching. Some of Berube’s traits rubbing off on this group would help them quite a bit I think.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I feel like this is going to be a violent affair and Montreal will come out swinging. Hope the boys just keep their heads up.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Opening night lineup isn't too surprising, and there's a long way to go so expect a few changes, but oh mighty one please help us if we go into the playoffs with Pac-Holmerg-Robertson as our third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad