Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm pointing this comment from you but not targetting you in particular. It's just that I see very often this argument here and while I can see the idea behind it, I don't think it applies to Roy. Like many observed, he didn't looked involved or deeply motivated. It is not simply the lack of production, it was his attitude. The team around him does not have many impact on that.
Why chalk it up to attitude?

He's not the best skater. He's not a dynamic fancy player who's going to pull you out of your seat. He's a cerebral player who has good hands and isn't a great skater. He needs creative linemates to make things happen. He's never going to be a Steve Yzerman type guy.

At the end of the day, the whole club sucked. It's a lot to ask a young guy like this to stand out on a team that's not performing. Hutson can do it but he's a flashy guy who's going to stick out no matter what. If you're going to really evaluate Roy, you should put him with strong players and let him show you what he can do.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

He's not the best skater. He's not a dynamic fancy player who's going to pull you out of your seat. He's a cerebral player who has good hands and isn't a great skater. He needs creative linemates to make things happen. He's never going to be a Steve Yzerman type guy.

At the end of the day, the whole club sucked. It's a lot to ask a young guy like this to stand out on a team that's not performing. Hutson can do it but he's a flashy guy who's going to stick out no matter what. If you're going to really evaluate Roy, you should put him with strong players and let him show you what he can do.
At some point, if you are truly an NHL player, you should at least show something, especially since these games were mostly played against AHL scrubs. I saw things from ABB that ended up on Gally's dead stick and went nowhere, but yet, I did notice ABB enough to even proposed here he be tried with Dach and Newhook instead of Armia. Roy reminded me a lot of Drouin during camp, and this is not good :p In fact, KK was also mentioned a lot here as "having no great linemates which deterred his progression".... we now know how true that was.

So attitude? Yes, I talk about that because the job was dangling in front of his nose and he did not seem concerned. And if he was, well then maybe it didn't show because he is just not good enough. Like you said, unfortunately, it happens. I mean, if you were MSL, would you be happy, really, with the way he showed up?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At some point, if you are truly an NHL player, you should at least show something, especially since these games were mostly played against AHL scrubs. I saw things from ABB that ended up on Gally's dead stick and went nowhere, but yet, I did notice ABB enough to even proposed here he be tried with Dach and Newhook instead of Armia. Roy reminded me a lot of Drouin during camp, and this is not good :p In fact, KK was also mentioned a lot here as "having no great linemates which deterred his progression".... we now know how true that was.

So attitude? Yes, I talk about that because the job was dangling in front of his nose and he did not seem concerned. And if he was, well then maybe it didn't show because he is just not good enough. Like you said, unfortunately, it happens. I mean, if you were MSL, would you be happy, really, with the way he showed up?
He got sent down. So no, I don't think MSL was happy with his play. I don't think Roy's happy with his play as well.

That doesn't mean he's got a bad attitude, it means he had a bad camp. But apart from Hutson... who didn't?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Even if training camp is the type of environment that doesn't suit his style of play in previous camps he did stand out, so he's capable of showing what he can do even in training camp but simply didn't this camp.

Now I agree there's no reason to jump to conclusions and say it's an attitude issue.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yeah we’re moving with him to a commune in Guyana next.
To this guys place?

IMG_3138.jpeg

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Even if training camp is the type of environment that doesn't suit his style of play in previous camps he did stand out, so he's capable of showing what he can do even in training camp but simply didn't this camp.

Now I agree there's no reason to jump to conclusions and say it's an attitude issue.
Oh, I fully agree with sending him down. He's a rookie and he needs to step up.

I'm just aking where the attitude accusation came from.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wish they'd just waive ABB, there's nothing there but it's fine, Roy can play in the A at 21.
It's fine. If you don't play well in camp and you're trying to make the club, you get sent to the A. If nothing else it puts the guy on notice.

He's still got great potential and we'll see him back with the club before year's end. I suspect we'll see Mailloux as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's fine. If you don't play well in camp and you're trying to make the club, you get sent to the A. If nothing else it puts the guy on notice.

He's still got great potential and we'll see him back with the club before year's end. I suspect we'll see Mailloux as well.
Yeah of course. It's just ABB isn't a NHL player. Why is he there?

Mailloux I feel needs at least another full season, he was bad bad.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008

He didn’t have a bad camp, he had a horrible one. The guy got a sniff last year, and had the inside track to the opening roster. All he had to do is have an average camp.

Three new guys made the opening roster, two rookies and an AHL/NHL tweener. He got beat out by three and who knows if he would have been the next guy kept, shit, Tuch has a better camp.

The guy is miles from being a 2nd line winger in the NHL. Thankfully, we have a depth guy like Laine coming back in a few months. So overhyped.

Reactions: Habano

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Remember when we were meant to keep a spot for him because acquiring top6 talent (eg Laine) would impede Joshua Roy's development?

Turns out having talent in depth is good, not bad.

This is where we want to be. This is how mediocre rosters become good rosters. Roy is part of the process -- I hope he does well, but if he doesn't I hope there's another player desperate to take his place.
Exactly, every season we have players who get sent up prematurely because we don't have enough depth, last season that was Roy. More competiton is exactly what he needs, he seems to be someone who is lacking in motivation and pro habits.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah of course. It's just ABB isn't a NHL player. Why is he there?

Mailloux I feel needs at least another full season, he was bad bad.
These are the development years. It’s perfectly normal. We weren’t going to make the playoffs anyway. It’s time for development. Hopefully Roy gets off to a quick start and we see him again soon.

Sucks though, with Laine going down the door was open for him to maybe sneak some top six time. I still think he’s our best option there this year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
These are the development years. It’s perfectly normal. We weren’t going to make the playoffs anyway. It’s time for development. Hopefully Roy gets off to a quick start and we see him again soon.

Sucks though, with Laine going down the door was open for him to maybe sneak some top six time. I still think he’s our best option there this year.
I'm sure Roy would develop really well on the 2nd line though. What's the upside with ABB lol?

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Is there a special reason people on this board have been going postal after Roy for the last week?
I agree that he had a bad camp and deserved to be sent to Laval to start the year, but holy F guys, keep your vitriol in check.
Yes he should not have coasted through camp like 90% of our roster did , but when you start writing about bad diets, partying, Life choices, entitlement and all other bullshit like you know the kid like he was your first cousin, you just sound plain dumb.
Like a once famousl underachiever in exhibition games once said ; just chill out.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is there a special reason people on this board have been going postal after Roy for the last week?
I agree that he had a bad camp and deserved to be sent to Laval to start the year, but holy F guys, keep your vitriol in check.
Yes he should not have coasted through camp like 90% of our roster did , but when you start writing about bad diets, partying, Life choices, entitlement and all other bullshit like you know the kid like he was your first cousin, you just sound plain dumb.
Like a once famousl underachiever in exhibition games once said ; just chill out.
People have been hating on Roy for years now.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022

How do you know what his attitude was? Do you know him or something? Seems like an odd thing to say. He’s a quiet guy and always has been. That makes him not care?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It’s not people on this board, the rumor was from Max Truman of Dans Les Coulisses (DLC) who like it or not do get legit dirt on Habs players … not talking hockey30 or other trash sites here, DLC is surprisingly accurate.

The root cause in the end , as you mentioned in bold is what the coach also said - the coach who BTW had to scratch & claw his way to the NHL for an opportunity before a HOF career, Roy should’ve been more aware of the coach who was going to evaluate him…

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad