Proposal: Toronto-Chicago

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yikes that value.

You can't just add all of the players from your team that you don't want and call it fair. There's a reason you want to get rid of those guys.

Adding MORE crappy players to a deal doesn't make it better, it makes it worse.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
With multiple insiders touching on the Leafs and Blackhawks as possible trading partners, I think it's pretty clear what Toronto's needs are.

To Toronto-
Fluery 50% retention
Hagel
Murphy

To Chicago-
Mrazek
Kerfoot
Holl
Robertson
Kokkonen
1st Round Pick
should really simplify this

Leafs get
fleury 50%

Hawks get
2022 1st round pick toronto
Mrazek
Robertson
Conditional 2nd 2023 that becomes a third if the leafs dont win a round this year

the first round pick is roughly the value of fleury with retention. The cost for dumping Mrazek is Robertosn and the conditional pick which might be a bit light tbh due to mrazek's term but overall this deal is a lot closer imo

Both of these are ubsurdly lobsided proposals; one obviously for Toronto, the other obviously for Chicago.

Ultimately, there really isn't much "synergy" in lumping together Murphy & Hagel in the same deals. It's not like you put the two of them together, and all of a sudden it's worth giving up a prospect you wouldn't give up for either of them.

Plus, the Leafs really don't have enough movable assets to get both.
- Fleury @50% is probably worth a 2nd, Mrazek, and conditional pick depending on how far the Leafs go with him (maybe a 2023 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the Leafs make the semis)... and that's assuming he wants to go to Toronto.
- Hagel probably worth Robertson, a 1st, and a lesser prospect.
- Murphy probably worth a 1st, Dermott or Holl, and a mid-tier prospect.

The Leafs had 1 pick in the first 150 of the 2021. They're not going to put themselves in a position with a single trade that results in their first pick of 2022 being in the 7th round, and already subtracting their 2023 1st and 3rd.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Just out of curiosity, and ya, Chicago turns down the OP….but what do Hawks fan think is a fair return for what the OP listed?

I don’t see a deal for those 3, but instead of “stupid Leafs fans…”, post what you think that package is worth?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So do a lot of other fan bases, there's just more of us so you get a lot of homers and trolls

this OP offer is one of the dumbest ones yet. Sadly, I don’t think he’s trolling. I’d just expect more from a fan base that should have knowledgeable fans and not this drivel.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
When Hagel stops shooting 20% he will drop back into the 30-40 point range. He isn't worth close to a 1st+Roberttson+ to the leafs. Talk about buying high on a player.

Funny to see how valuable Hagel is yet Kerfoot is out producing him, is better defensively and can play Center/wing yet is somehow considered a cap dump lol.

Reactions: 666

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
When Hagel stops shooting 20% he will drop back into the 30-40 point range. He isn't worth close to a 1st+Roberttson+ to the leafs. Talk about buying high on a player.

Funny to see how valuable Hagel is yet Kerfoot is out producing him, is better defensively and can play Center/wing yet is somehow considered a cap dump lol.
Kerfoot also has a $3.5 million cap hit and Hagel has two more years at $1.5 million... pretty great value

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Christ that's bad.

Try adding another 1st + Knies, and removing Kokkonen, and then you're a bit closer.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Kerfoot also has a $3.5 million cap hit and Hagel has two more years at $1.5 million... pretty great value
The difference in salary doesn't make one worth a first+ and the other a cap dump. Look, I agree that Kerfoot does nothing in this trade but it gets tiring hearing people say how bad his contract is. He's a 40 point middle six forward making 3.5m...

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
should really simplify this

Leafs get
fleury 50%

Hawks get
2022 1st round pick toronto
Mrazek
Robertson
Conditional 2nd 2023 that becomes a third if the leafs dont win a round this year

the first round pick is roughly the value of fleury with retention. The cost for dumping Mrazek is Robertosn and the conditional pick which might be a bit light tbh due to mrazek's term but overall this deal is a lot closer imo

As a Hawks fan, I think this is fair and close to what could possibly happen should the two teams hook up for a Fleury deal.

I see it a little different though, the 1st is the cost the Leafs pay for the Hawks eating Mrazek’s $3.8m contract for the next two seasons; remember Leafs fans, you gave up a 1st & 7th and got a 6th back to move Marleau’s deal.

Robertson and the conditional pick is the cost for Fleury at 50% ratained.

Good and fair proposal that meets both teams needs.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
As a Hawks fan, I think this is fair and close to what could possibly happen should the two teams hook up for a Fleury deal.

I see it a little different though, the 1st is the cost the Leafs pay for the Hawks eating Mrazek’s $3.8m contract for the next two seasons; remember Leafs fans, you gave up a 1st & 7th and got a 6th back to move Marleau’s deal.

I would pass on that quite easily....no way Fleury returns that.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

Retention of a player for a month for a team that isn't making the playoffs is worthless, it doesn't add value, it simply is a cost to facilitate the trade.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
I respect that, it would definitely be a tough pill for the Leafs to swallow.
Well ya, because it's an overpayment....and quite a sizeable one at that.

If the breakdown is 1st for taking Mrazek (which i also don't agree with) how does Fleury go from winning the Vezina and being traded to Chicago for a nothing prospect to a guy with just under 3 goals against and a 908 save% this season now being worth Robertson+?

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Retention of a player for a month for a team that isn't making the playoffs is worthless, it doesn't add value, it simply is a cost to facilitate the trade.

Eating Mrazek’s $3.8m for the next two seasons and opening up that cap space for the next two seasons definitely adds value for the Leafs, you conveniently skipped over that part of the proposal.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
With multiple insiders touching on the Leafs and Blackhawks as possible trading partners, I think it's pretty clear what Toronto's needs are.

To Toronto-
Fluery 50% retention
Hagel
Murphy

To Chicago-
Mrazek
Kerfoot
Holl
Robertson
Kokkonen
1st Round Pick
Not even close !! Try 1st rd pick , 4rd rd pick Holl ,Mrazek , Mathew Knies , Roni Hirvonen ,Topi Niemela , Nick Abruzzese

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Well ya, because it's an overpayment....and quite a sizeable one at that.

If the breakdown is 1st for taking Mrazek (which i also don't agree with) how does Fleury go from winning the Vezina and being traded to Chicago for a nothing prospect to a guy with just under 3 goals against and a 908 save% this season now being worth Robertson+?
Little Robertson you can keep.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So do a lot of other fan bases, there's just more of us so you get a lot of homers and trolls
there should be a subsection of the trade forum, where fans from rangers, habs, canucks and leafs are only allowed to propose trades among those selected four.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Fleury has requested not to be traded, considering the kind of respect he has in the league I think it's safe to assume he finishes the season in Chicago. I would love to land him as well but it's not possible anymore, if we are looking to address goaltending externally we'll have to look elsewhere. Varlamov/Gibson/Holtby are all interesting options.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Eating Mrazek’s $3.8m for the next two seasons and opening up that cap space for the next two seasons definitely adds value for the Leafs, you conveniently skipped over that part of the proposal.
I didn't skip it over, I was responding specifically to your valuation of Fleury 50% retained. And no, dumping mrazek is not worth giving away a first either. The way I see it, Chicago won't be a playoff team for the next couple seasons and don't have a goalie going into next year, what are their options?

Mrazek, 2022 first round pick, 2023 second round pick, topi niemela and another prospect (hirvonen, abruzzese, whoever) for Fleury 50% retained and Connor Murphy. That's probably more or less what that trade would look like

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Was also thinking this.

Personally, I think Hagel, because of the season he's having and his contract, is likely to be grossly overvalued. Somebody might pay the price, but I don't think it should be the Leafs. With $40m invested up front, they need to be the team that gets something from nothing on the left side, not pays for relatively established talent.... like Bunting.

They need to "Make Hagels", not buy them.

Leafs paid a first to get rid of Marleau, knowing full well that the Canes were gonna buy him out -- it was $6m to get absolutely nothing out of it.

Mrazek may not have much of any value, but to suggest he's as problematic as the Marleau deal is extremely farfetched.

He's a tandem goalie of reasonable quality, signed at a reasonable price. Chicago has no goaltenders signed for next year, and the UFA market is pretty ugly. For a team like Chicago who doesn't have a goalie, Mrazek at 2 years at $3.8m might actually be one of their 2 best options.

As for Fleury, no, he cannot and will not yield a player like Nick Robertson in return. He's a goalie. If traded, a Toronto deal would likely be something to the tune of Mrazek, this year's 2nd, and some conditional further pick depending on how far the Leafs go / how involved he is in that.

Mrazek, maybe he's worth a 6th or 7th... maybe he should cost a 6th or 7th to get rid of. Ultimately, in the context for a Fleury deal for Chicago, you do it facilitate the trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad