Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Boston -- game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
They tend to win more often than not when Matthews is out. It forces them to play a more structured game.
Yes, I posted this in another thread, but they have just as good of a record with Matthews out of the lineup do to injury over his career than they do with him (I think they play at a 105+ point pace without him)....and if I remember correctly, they played Boston 7 times without him (Boston being a playoff team every year it happend) and beat Boston 5 of the 7 games without Matthews.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes, I posted this in another thread, but they have just as good of a record with Matthews out of the lineup do to injury over his career than they do with him (I think they play at a 105+ point pace without him)....and if I remember correctly, they played Boston 7 times without him (Boston being a playoff team every year it happend) and beat Boston 5 of the 7 games without Matthews.
Playoffs are a different animal. This team has a better chance of winning game 5 with Matthews playing at 60% than it does without him.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
No offense to Jay Rosehill but he was irrelevant when he wore our jersey. Same with O-Dog, same with Kypreos. Every plug with a microphone has a hot take.
They played in the NHL. People on the internet haven't so I think I'd take their takes a little more serious over the ones on here who say they looked fine. Some of the best coaches in the league past, present and future are what I guess you'd consider plugs back in their playing days so that doesn't seem like too much of an insult to them.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Positives are it's possible we comeback. We've been the better team at 5v5 and we can only hope Marner is doing the reverse Marner where he's usually good Games 1-3 points wise and then disappears the rest of the series. I wouldn't put the blame on Sammy but if Woll can provide better goaltending and battle with Swayman then that could help big time. I doubt we break the PP up because that'd involve the coach to do too much work and we don't want to over work them during these stressful times.

Negatives are Matthews might be out. Last game gave us no hope that they could come back and that they gave up. Swayman knows our offence too well and we can't score more than 2 on him and now we have to beat him 3 games in a row when we have only beat them once all year in like 9 or 10 games total I believe.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Our coaching won't be good enough to win 2 in a row. Our systems suck.

Say what you want about many players not being good enough, not built for playoff hockey, etc. Those things are true, but even if guys were better, played heavier, our systems suck so bad that it's always just a matter of time until we're wasted.

I love when our opponent knows exactly where to stand to pick off the same pass up the ice over and over and over...

LOL get out of my head bud :laugh:

My thoughts exactly!!!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I have no doubt in my mind that they want to win.

They just aren't very good. Mental midgets

everybody wants to win its what you are willing to do to get it. Its the drive, effort and heart in the end.

My uncle (bless his soul and may he RIP); when he was alive said that everybody wants good things but not willing to work for it in general. He was freakin' shredded, he said he worked on his body and diet. Everybody wants to be ripped but nobody wants to put the work in the gym and with their diet :laugh:

Reactions: torontoblood

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Leafs will win game 5 because of woll and domi. The latter was a Boston killer when he played for Carolina.

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
No offense to Jay Rosehill but he was irrelevant when he wore our jersey. Same with O-Dog, same with Kypreos. Every plug with a microphone has a hot take.
He played in the NHL. That's infinitely better than some never-even-made-it-to-AA with a microphone screaming at the top of his lungs on a daily basis.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I don't know why all of a sudden, being a good player in the nhl is a prerequisite for having an informed opinion.

Anyhow, as nevegative as I am, still hoping they win one to extend it. Still love hockey, more hockey is better so go leafs.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Forget scoring goals in a vacuum.

We don't exit the zone like actual playoff teams do. We can't execute an effective dump and chase like effective playoff teams do when they neutral zone gets inevitability choked off. We can't generate any sustained pressure whatsoever when we do get the puck in the zone, zero cycle game at all to speak of.

The problems literally start 200 feet down the other way of the ice if you wanna talk about why we can't score goals in the playoffs. The star players dictate it all, they have no interest in doing the hard and tough things above and they just straight up give up in the postseason. End this f***ing core 4 immediately after losing game 5, after this series I am officially over this team.
THIS^.

Reactions: IPS

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
I don't know why all of a sudden, being a good player in the nhl is a prerequisite for having an informed opinion.

Anyhow, as nevegative as I am, still hoping they win one to extend it. Still love hockey, more hockey is better so go leafs.
All of a sudden? It's always been like that and rightfully so. I'm probably going to take more stock in someone's opinion when they've actually experienced what it's like to be on the bench during a tough outing.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Leafs will win game 5 because of woll and domi. The latter was a Boston killer when he played for Carolina.
Truth is that nobody knows what will happen especially with Matthews not playing. These guys could go down 1-0 and simply just fold.

Win or lose, Keefe needs to get punted into next year.

They won’t ever win anything of consequence with that guy behind the bench.

Reactions: Confucius
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad