Proposal: Toronto - Arizona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Chychurn and Matthews aren't even close to similar value. Matthews is arguably the 2nd best player on the planet, chychurn is a top pair d having a terrible year.

Unlike the OP at least I know my counteroffer is complete garbage. Sarcasm much?

But also: Chychrun's been fine since Jan 1st (actually a + player even with big minutes on this terrible roster while playing with a rotating AHL D while playing on his off side half the time). First two months of the season were awful, he's recovered since then

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Unlike the OP at least I know my counteroffer is complete garbage. Sarcasm much?
Point is Chychurn has been awful this season and his previous seasons when compared to other top of the league defenseman aren't very good. I think he's over-rated for what he brings to a good team and what he would cost. Hes a good d man but he's nowhere near a top 5 or 10 d league wide. Top 20 maybe.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Lmao. If this is the price, Ottawa would not have balked at it. So, so, so easy to beat.

Niemela is a very solid prospect.... not sure I'd call him a "top prospect" as I highly doubt he would go 1st round (or above the very bottom of the 1st) in a redraft

every team has a prospect picked late 2nd-mid 3rd who supposedly would go late 1st in a re-draft.

in this kind of trade he’s a throw in add…not a focused piece.

toronto 1st being 24-32 range also has not as much value. Other teams give them up fir rentals. Chychrun us not a rental.

toronto does not have prospects/ futures to get him.

Reactions: PainForShane

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You have absolutely no clue who Niemela is. I would not be surprised if he's better than Chychrun 4 years from now.
Sandin could be better the chychurn by next season. Chychurn is the most overrated player in the entire NHL.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Point is Chychurn has been awful this season and his previous seasons when compared to other top of the league defenseman aren't very good. I think he's over-rated for what he brings to a good team and what he would cost. Hes a good d man but he's nowhere near a top 5 or 10 d league wide. Top 20 maybe.

He finished 10th in Norris voting last year as a 22 year old. That's pretty close to a top 10 D league wide don't you think? Also that's not even considering his contract or the fact he's only 22 years old.

Anyway if you think he's over-rated for what he would cost then don't pay the cost. Pretty simple

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
He finished 10th in Norris voting last year as a 22 year old. That's pretty close to a top 10 D league wide don't you think? Also that's not even considering his contract or the fact he's only 22 years old.

Anyway if you think he's over-rated for what he would cost then don't pay the cost. Pretty simple
His positive numbers don't stand out at all, his negative numbers do. Any player can have a career year. He doesn't have the track record to be considered a top 10-15 d league wide. Thats why the trade ask for him seems so absurd.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
His positive numbers don't stand out at all, his negative numbers do. Any player can have a career year. He doesn't have the track record to be considered a top 10-15 d league wide. Thats why the trade ask for him seems so absurd.

He's only 23 of course he doesn't have a multi-year track record yet. smh

If you're ignoring his positive numbers why do you want him anyway? Like you said anyone can have a career year / lead the league in goal scoring / show up on 19 of 31 Norris ballots as a 22 year old

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
People have no idea who any of these Leafs kids are and act like they are offering trash. Saying Niemela is meh is so out to lunch. He'll be talked about a lot more next year when he comes over.

Reactions: Marner4Life

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Knies, Dermott and TO 2022 1st (or 2023 1st)
for
Chychrun
Send over the paperwork. I think this is probably one piece short of the true value. Not another 1st but maybe a 2nd/3rd or a prospect farther down the list from torontos top 4 (Knies would be in that group)

Reactions: Just a Fan

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Toronto trades:
Travis Dermott
Topi Niemela
2022 1st rd pick

Arizona trades:
Jacob Chychrun

Muzzin out potentially long term Toronto gets a replacement. Chychrun comes in at a good cap hit and has years of service left.

Arizona gets Dermott who can fill in and be a solid bottom pairing guy for them moving forward. Niemela provides them with a top prospect. First helps with the ongoing rebuild.

upload_2022-2-26_10-20-49.gif

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Dermott
Knies
Liljegren
TOR 1st in 22 or 23 (Toronto gets option to defer).
TOR 3rd in 22 or 2nd in 23 (Arizona gets option to defer).

Chychrun
Kessel @ 50%

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Considering he has never played on a good team, how the hell could you possibly know this?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, I have learned that the Maple Leafs are going to be the dominant force in the league for years to come. 3 top pairing D in the pipeline, a potential 40 goal scorer and a unicorn power forward.

As for the actual team, not sure why the Leafs would need/want Chychrun. If anything, the team could use a veteran playoff warrior to help them get the 1st round monkey off their backs.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Well, I have learned that the Maple Leafs are going to be the dominant force in the league for years to come. 3 top pairing D in the pipeline, a potential 40 goal scorer and a unicorn power forward.

As for the actual team, not sure why the Leafs would need/want Chychrun. If anything, the team could use a veteran playoff warrior to help them get the 1st round monkey off their backs.

And I have learned that 23 old defensemen aren't considered good until they have multi-year NHL track records, also Norris voting isn't a valid way of deciding who the league's top defensemen are. Wonder what these guys think of someone like Fox compared to a superstar like Niemela who's tearing up the Finnish League.

Your bolded is a really good point. Chychrun's more of a multi-year long term solution who becomes part of your core, at least this year the Leafs would probably be better suited trading for experienced vets like Chara or even Gio -- Gio's cap will be harder to fit but maybe the Yotes could maybe be a broker (for another 2nd round pick ha!). Acquisition cost will be less as well, and maybe they stick around for another year on a Thornton / Spezza like contract.

Gio was also born in Toronto. Might be something to keep an eye on in the future

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Funny how Leafs fan still think an #7 dman holds any kind of value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad