Confirmed with Link: TOR sign Jimmy Vesey (1 year, 900K)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Backup plan if they are they sending Robertson down? Hate to see that happen. Vesey hasn't really lived up to all the hype of being a top 6. But a decent option on the bottom 6. 15 goals 30 points. He's big, produces about 80 hits on a full schedule, which isn't too bad for a 3rd liner. Not great advanced numbers though. Pretty meh on this one especially if it means Robertson is sent down for more seasoning.

The NHL graveyard is littered with CHL players who came up too soon, I'd prefer Robertson to go down for a few months play at a level where he can develop and not have the pressure of the big team on his shoulders.

Vesey is not coming here to play on the top 2 lines, he is more of a 3rd or 4th winger.

Reactions: saltming and egd27

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I was thinking about this last night, might be a solid pick up for depth, but indirectly

Vesey may not be a true top 6 forward, but he can score. JT is already a puckhound and doesnt need a Hyman type on his line.

Vesey can move into that LW spot alongside JT and Nylander, probably his best linemates of his career, perhaps pots 20G/40Pts and most importantly, moves Mikheyev to the 3rd line to improve depth.

Ditto can be said about Robertson/Marner moving Hyman down as well.

Robertson - Matthews - Marner
Vesey - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Hyman

Looks like a solid top 9​
Hyman doesn't move off a top 6 role. You just made our top line soft af.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Kyle Dubas on not tendering Gauthier: "We just felt that as we learned more and more about the guys going to market...we were going to look for a change at that part of our lineup. And at the same time, do right by Fred."

It's over
lol, this sounds like one of those horrible "it's not you (but really it is), it's me" break up lines...

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The top line has never been an issue. Matthews and Marner absolutely dominate possession. Hyman brings an important element, agreed, but at the same time the bottom of the roster can use someone like him to drive a line.

Robertson is not ready for top line duties with AM & MM.

Besides, the role of that winger is puck retrieval and getting it to Matthews for a shot, or to Marner so he can set up Matthews for a shot. Not what Robertson's game is all about.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Didn't realize Vesey was a PKer, that will help.

Hyman Marner
Vesey Kerfoot
Mikheyev Engvall

Are these are PKers? I think we need another one here no?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't see room for him on the roster unless there's injuries. But I could be wrong.

Still glad to have him at only 900k.

His dad works for the Leafs, so we're taking care of our own. He's getting the full 900k even in the A, so he's taken care of during a tough time. And he has some history with our #3 C, so we might get a real win of he does stick in the lineup.

The Leafs have used only 40 out of the 50 contracts limit, according to CapFriendly. So I'd bet there's a few other signings like this at other positions.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
wth is this 1 way signing

isn't boyd our 13th fwd?

gotta be trades coming soon

hope we are still in on perry
1-way signing doesn't mean he can't be sent down though. Just means if he can go down, he gets his full salary. The Leafs do this all the time to flex their financial muscle.

"Yes, you may get sent down to the AHL, but if you do, other teams would pay you $75k. We're prepared to offer you your whole $900k."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
still does!

I thought he had moved on as originally it was believed he could lure his son to TO years earlier as a UFA coming out of college. So I stand corrected. :)

With his Pops still on staff, this makes the signing even more understandable.

This was the original Vesey link from years ago where Leafs first showed interest.

As of midnight, the Toronto Maple Leafs will be able to engage in conversations with college free-agent Jimmy Vesey as they look to add another young forward to their developing core.

For those who need a quick refresher, the former Harvard captain elected to explore his options in free-agency instead of signing with the Nashville Predators, the team that originally drafted him in the third round of the 2012 NHL Draft. The Toronto Maple Leafs have eyes on him.

What makes the Maple Leafs one of the favorites to land Vesey?

For starters, they currently employ his father Jim Vesey as an amateur scout and drafted his younger brother Nolan Vesey in the 2014 NHL Draft, so there are already family ties in the organization which can only help the Maple Leafs.

The fact that there are two members of his family within the Maple Leafs organization goes to show that the family ties will undoubtedly be use by management in order to sign the 23 year-old forward.

Toronto Maple Leafs Have Eyes Set On Jimmy Vesey

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I wonder if Jimmy Vesey's reunion with Kerfoot is going to be shortlived.

I still see AK as available in a package with Engval, or either of Holl/Dermott

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The top line has never been an issue. Matthews and Marner absolutely dominate possession. Hyman brings an important element, agreed, but at the same time the bottom of the roster can use someone like him to drive a line.
That's why they are bringing in these bottom 6 guys, to fill that role in the bottom 6
Hyman deserves his position

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016

I think he was brought in to play with Kerfoot to try and solidify that line. If Robertson is starting in the AHL the 3rd line likely looks like

Vesey - Kerfoot - Anderson/Spezza/Simmonds

Imo past chemistry from other leagues usually doesnt translate to the NHL but you never know.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I was thinking about this last night, might be a solid pick up for depth, but indirectly

Vesey may not be a true top 6 forward, but he can score. JT is already a puckhound and doesnt need a Hyman type on his line.

Vesey can move into that LW spot alongside JT and Nylander, probably his best linemates of his career, perhaps pots 20G/40Pts and most importantly, moves Mikheyev to the 3rd line to improve depth.

Ditto can be said about Robertson/Marner moving Hyman down as well.

Robertson - Matthews - Marner
Vesey - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Hyman

Looks like a solid top 9​

I don't see how you can have Hyman 2 lines below Vesey. He scored 21g 2 years in a row, this year a shortened season no less, and grinds. We need more guys like Hyman and less like Vesey. He's a depth scorer suitable for the 3rd line. No more.

You guys are gonna have your hearts broke for the millionth time of you expect Vesey to be a 1st liner.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Dermott/Holl, one of them, to me seem like the obvious candidates to move - if we are acquiring another D. That'd still give us our 8 NHL guys before even getting to Sandin/Liljegren. Depth is great, but we are thinner up front. Kerfoot isnt a loss I feel like we can afford up front

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think he was brought in to play with Kerfoot to try and solidify that line. If Robertson is starting in the AHL the 3rd line likely looks like

Vesey - Kerfoot - Anderson/Spezza/Simmonds

Imo past chemistry from other leagues usually doesnt translate to the NHL but you never know.

Simmonds will be with Kerfoot on third

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There is no way Simmonds is not top 9. Picking up Vessey and our wings are fine. Barbanov and Robertson are fine depth if needed.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Dermott/Holl, one of them, to me seem like the obvious candidates to move - if we are acquiring another D. That'd still give us our 8 NHL guys before even getting to Sandin/Liljegren. Depth is great, but we are thinner up front. Kerfoot isnt a loss I feel like we can afford up front

But $3.5 out allows us to chase something decent on the FA front. I would love to see Granlund in a Leaf uniform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad