Proposal: (TOR/MIN/DAL) Gustavsson, Dellandrea, Liljegren

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
to Toronto Maple Leafs
Filip Gustavsson (2y @ $3.75m)

to Minnesota Wild
Ty Dellandrea ( RFA )
Dennis Hildeby (GK prospect, 2026 waivers)
( TOR maybe adds a 5th or 6th or 7th rounder, or maybe not )

to Dallas Stars
Timothy Liljegren ( RFA )

Toronto adds a good goalie to play with Woll and hopefully help in the playoffs. Gustavsson cap hit and contract length offer flexibility in case Woll becomes a massive stud this year and earns a big cap hit on his next contract. They want to move on from Liljegren and reshape their D core this summer and possibly more re-shaping next summer too.

Minnesota makes room for Fleury to mentor Wallstedt this season. They add a center that can play right wing, who was drafted with high potential and is still young-ish.

Dallas adds a young-ish RD to compete with Lundkvist for ice time and to see who is a better fit. DAL could also extend Tanev if they want and let Liljegren Lundkvist compete to stay out of the press box. Suter is gone next summer. Lindell might be gone or might be extended. Hopefully one of Liljegren or Lundkvist earns a place in DAL's longer-term plans alongside Heiskanen and Harley. Dellandrea has been replaced in the long-term plans by Johnston, Stankoven, Bourque, so maybe a RD who is also young-ish and drafted with potential is a better fit based on positional need.

( EDITED - removed Samsonov as throw-in, he doesn't have RFA rights anymore )

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2016
No, Filip Gustavsson isn’t the answer for the Leafs.

Samsonov is a UFA not RFA.

Seems like a lot to give up Hildeby and Liljegren for a goalie who was average between the pipes.

Reactions: Ciao

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Not sure why Minnesota would trade Gus for Dellandrea and a goaltender prospect.

Would rather move him in a deal like Gus+13 to NJ for 10+prospect/pick

Reactions: 57special

Handshot

Jan 28, 2015
I think at this point the leafs want to see how Hildeby develops and not trade him for a guy that put up a sv% under .900

Reactions: Ciao

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Sure, from Dallas.

Don't see either other team doing this though.

I think TOR has their answer at goalie with Woll. He's arguably got as many question marks as Gustavsson.

No clue what Minnesota is getting out of this, honestly.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Sure, from Dallas.

Don't see either other team doing this though.

I think TOR has their answer at goalie with Woll. He's arguably got as many question marks as Gustavsson.

No clue what Minnesota is getting out of this, honestly.
With Deboer I guess we could throw Lundqvist to the Wild, as well, and it not be a worry.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don't hate this, there have been significant flashes where Gus has been brilliant, he's also had significant portions of sub par play.

He COULD be a steal for somebody if Minnesota trades him.

Reactions: jjr922

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
to Toronto Maple Leafs
Filip Gustavsson (2y @ $3.75m)

to Minnesota Wild
Ty Dellandrea ( RFA )
Dennis Hildeby (GK prospect, 2026 waivers)
( TOR maybe adds a 5th or 6th or 7th rounder, or maybe not )

to Dallas Stars
Timothy Liljegren ( RFA )

Toronto adds a good goalie to play with Woll and hopefully help in the playoffs. Gustavsson cap hit and contract length offer flexibility in case Woll becomes a massive stud this year and earns a big cap hit on his next contract. They want to move on from Liljegren and reshape their D core this summer and possibly more re-shaping next summer too.

Minnesota makes room for Fleury to mentor Wallstedt this season. They add a center that can play right wing, who was drafted with high potential and is still young-ish.

Dallas adds a young-ish RD to compete with Lundkvist for ice time and to see who is a better fit. DAL could also extend Tanev if they want and let Liljegren Lundkvist compete to stay out of the press box. Suter is gone next summer. Lindell might be gone or might be extended. Hopefully one of Liljegren or Lundkvist earns a place in DAL's longer-term plans alongside Heiskanen and Harley. Dellandrea has been replaced in the long-term plans by Johnston, Stankoven, Bourque, so maybe a RD who is also young-ish and drafted with potential is a better fit based on positional need.

( EDITED - removed Samsonov as throw-in, he doesn't have RFA rights anymore )

Why would the Wild even consider this?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think maybe Stars is the only one who might accept this. Leafs definitely could do something similar but not sure Gustavsson is the guy. As for the Wild think could get better deal elsewhere.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't hate this, there have been significant flashes where Gus has been brilliant, he's also had significant portions of sub par play.

He COULD be a steal for somebody if Minnesota trades him.
As a Wild fan, I want to keep him for this year, and see if he can return to his 22-23 form. If so, we will have two young'ish goalies in he and Wallstedt that should see us through the next ten years or so.

Gus has to be better, but losing Spurgeon for virtually the entire season and Brodin for 25% of it hurt our overall defensive effort. Fleury clearly has no future beyond 24-25, Gus still does.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As a Wild fan, I want to keep him for this year, and see if he can return to his 22-23 form. If so, we will have two young'ish goalies in he and Wallstedt that should see us through the next ten years or so.

Gus has to be better, but losing Spurgeon for virtually the entire season and Brodin for 25% of it hurt our overall defensive effort. Fleury clearly has no future beyond 24-25, Gus still does.

I assume that Wallstedt is the reason we started to hear a little bit of talk around Gus, I don't remember who originally reported it, I want to say TFP but don't hold me to that.

But it was reported that the wild were open to trading Gus.

It's one oF those things that's a HUGE risk for Minnesota if they do it.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I assume that Wallstedt is the reason we started to hear a little bit of talk around Gus, I don't remember who originally reported it, I want to say TFP but don't hold me to that.

But it was reported that the wild were open to trading Gus.

It's one oF those things that's a HUGE risk for Minnesota if they do it.
If MN is going to trade Gus, it won't be for a late round pick, a B prospect goalie, and Dellandrea, a 13th forward. Those are mediocre pieces that they don't need. While Gus wasn't great last year, he was terrific the year before, is still young, and has talent. MN would far rather wait and see if he bounces back.

Rushing Wallstedt to the NHL because they traded Gus for this return makes no sense at all.

Reactions: NHL1674

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So Toronto trades Liljegren, our top goalie prospect, and a draft pick and doesn't solve any problems on their roster? Gustavsson isn't the answer for Toronto he'd be another Samsonov

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So Toronto trades Liljegren, our top goalie prospect, and a draft pick and doesn't solve any problems on their roster? Gustavsson isn't the answer for Toronto he'd be another Samsonov
I can’t see Toronto solving their problems while paying over 50% of their cap to four players.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I can’t see Toronto solving their problems while paying over 50% of their cap to four players.

Pretty obvious the cap allocation is changing. Marner likely moved this year and if not, both him and JT gone the year after. They have the space to get a goalie and a good dman

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
With what pieces? I doubt people will trade their good dmen or goaltenders for pieces like Liljegren or of that similar ilk. I guess you might be able to if Marner waives... But if he doesn't?

Marner is likely to waive, but the Leafs have a lot of quality pieces...

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
No they are 4 stars and 18 AHLers.

Yes they do. Cowan OHL regular season and playoff MVP, lots of interesting prospects like Minten, Greybyonkin, Akhtiamov.

Then young NHlers. Robertson paced for 20 goals last year, Knies is looking like a future first line winger. Woll has a promising NHL future. They have their first this year and in 2026, Liljegren, and of course Marner or any pieces Marner returns.

Lots of things teams would want. Need to be the right deal but Leafs are set to go big game hunting

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'd definitely do this as a Stars fan but no idea whether it makes sense in the other directions. Dellandrea's development has stalled/backslid and he's been passed by younger forwards in the system. If you're the acquiring team you can only be sure you're getting speed/hustle/grit on a cheap deal, forget about his draft position at this point.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No they are 4 stars and 18 AHLers.

Yes they do. Cowan OHL regular season and playoff MVP, lots of interesting prospects like Minten, Greybyonkin, Akhtiamov.

Then young NHlers. Robertson paced for 20 goals last year, Knies is looking like a future first line winger. Woll has a promising NHL future. They have their first this year and in 2026, Liljegren, and of course Marner or any pieces Marner returns.

Lots of things teams would want. Need to be the right deal but Leafs are set to go big game hunting
I wouldn't trade a top 4 dman for any of those prospects. There's a reason Toronto's system was ranked near the bottom of the league by Wheeler in January...

I would trade a top 4 dman for Knies, but would be absolutely shocked if he was available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad