Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Kyle Clifford signs extension with the Maple Leafs (2 years, $762.5k AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Possibly a Rich Clune replacement on the Marlies?
Admittedly, every year I always hope we'll sign Clune to a contract just to give him a callup as a thank you
But he probably is getting ready to retire and move on

Clifford's not the worst replacement for that role. Seems to have a good work ethic and leadership. There were some rumblings he was unhappy being demoted to the AHL, but he has to know that's where he's going to be mostly. Maybe the NHL contract was part of the compromise, instead of an AHL one.

Easy to bury and no problem here with a depth vet

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
IF refs swallow their whistles in the Playoffs again, Clifford can absolutely be effective on the 4th line.

Reactions: Ciao

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Uh, okay. I guess he'll transition into sort of a player-coach for the Marlies, like Richard Clune. If he's good for player development I don't mind the signing, but he shouldn't be taking anyone's icetime away at this point.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Why are people complaining about the cap with this contract? Stop. He isn’t making the Leaf roster. Would t surprise me if this is just a precursor to a coaching/management position in the organization.

Reactions: uncleben

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

I don't mind this at all.

At best, he provides a bit of leadership on the AHL roster and is available if needed in a pinch on the NHL team at a very low cap hit that can be easily buried. It gives the Leafs some flexibility on both rosters.

At worst, the Leafs lose him when he inevitably gets placed on waivers – but I'm not expecting anyone to claim him.

Really important to get that second year for Clifford.

You know, it takes both sides to agree to a contract.

Clifford might not have signed at one year for league minimum. Two years at league minimum for an under 35 contract that can be fully buried probably works for both sides.

Seeing as Kyle offered him 3 years at over 1 million the last time, and he was Dubas's first client this isn't surprising.

Clifford is a Dubas guy

Be that as it may – that Clifford is a Kyle Dubas guy – you've lost me as to when Dubas offered him three years at more than 1 million per year.

What's the source of your knowledge on that?

This is the first contract that Clifford signed with the Leafs. When he played with the Leafs he was under an LA contract. After that, he signed with St. Louis for two years at 1 million per year.

I'm not understanding at what point Dubas would have offered him three years at 1 million+?

Do you have a source, or are you just making this up?

Possibly a Rich Clune replacement on the Marlies?

No harm in that. He is a 31-year-old marginal journeyman winger from Ayr, Ontario – within an hour of Toronto.

I'm sure he enjoys playing in the Leafs organization, whether with the Leafs or the Marlies, and they enjoy having him perhaps to fill Rich Clune's role, if nothing else.

It looks like a mutually beneficial relationship.

What the hell.

He was suppose to come to LA.

Smh Toronto.

Hey, if you really want him back on the Los Angeles Kings NHL roster, he will be back on waivers soon enough. If the Kings want to pick him up, there might not be any other takers.

Why are people complaining about the cap with this contract? Stop. He isn’t making the Leaf roster. Would t surprise me if this is just a precursor to a coaching/management position in the organization.

There is nothing at all in this that remotely suggests an upcoming change to the Leafs' coaching or management staff.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
How much salary will you retain?
None but we'll throw in Kopitar if you guys add Simmonds.

los-angeles-kings-right-wing-wayne-simmonds-r-celebrates-his-first-period-goal-against-the-san-jose-sharks-with-teammates-kyle-clifford-and-peter-harrold-l-during-game-5-of-the-nhl-western-conference-quarter-final-hockey-playoff-in-san-jose-california-april-23-2011-reuterschad-ziemendorf-united-states-tags-sport-ice-hockey-2CXP13G.jpg

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Be that as it may – that Clifford is a Kyle Dubas guy – you've lost me as to when Dubas offered him three years at more than 1 million per year.

What's the source of your knowledge on that?ff.

I cannot remember the specific source, but my recollection is that one of the insiders reported late in the summer that Clifford had miscalculated because the Leafs had offered more money than he eventually signed for with the Blues. Clifford was expecting a better offer and by the time he realized that none was forthcoming the Leafs had already made other plans and had no cap space left.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
None but we'll throw in Kopitar if you guys add Simmonds.

los-angeles-kings-right-wing-wayne-simmonds-r-celebrates-his-first-period-goal-against-the-san-jose-sharks-with-teammates-kyle-clifford-and-peter-harrold-l-during-game-5-of-the-nhl-western-conference-quarter-final-hockey-playoff-in-san-jose-california-april-23-2011-reuterschad-ziemendorf-united-states-tags-sport-ice-hockey-2CXP13G.jpg
I would like to agree, but our fax machine is broken now.

(That is an old joke from the time the Leafs screwed up a trade at the deadline because of a broken fax machine.)

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I cannot remember the specific source, but my recollection is that one of the insiders reported late in the summer that Clifford had miscalculated because the Leafs had offered more money than he eventually signed for with the Blues. Clifford was expecting a better offer and by the time he realized that none was forthcoming the Leafs had already made other plans and had no cap space left.
It looks like both you and @LEAFANFORLIFE23 have the same recollection, and that's good enough for me.

Reactions: Zonk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad