Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Regarding the whole captaincy/jealousy idea between Matthews/Tavares....

I don't buy it. I mean it's possible. If Matthews happens to be an extremely petty/insecure person of course it's possible and even likely that he'd feel threatened, but i doubt it.

In my opinion - Matthews would feel a LOT more threatened if they brought someone more equal to him in age - like an Eichel or McDavid.

Tavares - he's older/established. It would be equivalent to bringing in a Crosby, or Toews, or Bergeron - he's a veteran who you respect and is a fantastic player/leader, and if they end up being given the captaincy, that's a great leader to learn from. Matthews - being younger - would be an assistant and eventually inherit the C.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Regarding the whole captaincy/jealousy idea between Matthews/Tavares....

I don't buy it. I mean it's possible. If Matthews happens to be an extremely petty/insecure person of course it's possible and even likely that he'd feel threatened, but i doubt it.

In my opinion - Matthews would feel a LOT more threatened if they brought someone more equal to him in age - like an Eichel or McDavid.

Tavares - he's older/established. It would be equivalent to bringing in a Crosby, or Toews, or Bergeron - he's a veteran who you respect and is a fantastic player/leader, and if they end up being given the captaincy, that's a great leader to learn from. Matthews - being younger - would be an assistant and eventually inherit the C.

The captaincy "controversy" is just BS stirred up by those folks scrambling for any way to spin this signing as a negative.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Reactions: RayB

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The captaincy "controversy" is just BS stirred up by those folks scrambling for any way to spin this signing as a negative.

I'm a habs fan. A few years ago players voted on captaincy between Subban and Pacioretty. This is arguably the catalyst that led to the chain effect that has been blowing up our core since then.

All i'll say is where there's smoke there tends to be fire. I hope for your sake Leafs management ends up handling the situation going forward better than they did in Montreal. I agree with you i don't think there's any issue now and it's all speculation by certain people. But it doesn't mean an issue can't arise from it in the future, if the situation isn't handled properly. The rumors of a Matthews/Babcock issue doesn't help

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Pretty much. If you pay attention to Auston in anyway as a person you see he doesn't have a big ego.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'm a habs fan. A few years ago players voted on captaincy between Subban and Pacioretty. This is arguably the catalyst that led to the chain effect that has been blowing up our core since then.

All i'll say is where there's smoke there tends to be fire. I hope for your sake Leafs management ends up handling the situation going forward better than they did in Montreal. I agree with you i don't think there's any issue now and it's all speculation by certain people. But it doesn't mean an issue can't arise from it in the future, if the situation isn't handled properly. The rumors of a Matthews/Babcock issue doesn't help

The catalyst there is the decision to have a vote between players, that's always going to leave the 2nd place person feeling a bit pissed their team mates chose someone else above them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Where there's smoke there's often sports media spewing garbage hoping to get clicks. Watch the clip below where Bobby Orr addresses these issues after having spoken with Matthews. The idea of Matthews having any issues with Tavares or the captaincy or anything else is so amusing to him that he just laughs, laughs, and laughs some more and you can tell it comes straight from the heart. Bobby Orr is as honest and as classy an individual as has ever been associated with the game of hockey, his laughter and the smile on his face tells you all you need to know - there are no issues here, period.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/orr-reports-of-rift-are-silly-wrong-and-not-true~1435364

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009

The difference is Subban and Pacioretty hated eachother and most of your team hated Subban. There hasn’t even been time for smoke to develop and you’re telling us there’s smoke lol.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Playing on the 4th line for a small amount of time during the year for a young skilled player happens all the time. Playing all year on a line with ahlers is kadri's reward for being a good 2nd line centre.

Edit. Should have said 4th liners not ahlers.
Of course it does. These would be AHL graduates I believe.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

By "those folks" you mean TSN, right?

The same ones running around screaming that there was a big rift between Matthews and Babcock?

I think the C should go to Rielly.

A's to Tavares, Matthews, and Kadri.

Problem solved.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Reactions: Critical91

Cotton

May 13, 2013
By "those folks" you mean TSN, right?

The same ones running around screaming that there was a big rift between Matthews and Babcock?

I think the C should go to Rielly.

A's to Tavares, Matthews, and Kadri.

Problem solved.

That was Nick Kypreos of sportsnet. Then John Shannon, also of sportsnet.

It was all BS from the start, based off of Kypreos interpreting Matthews body language, and anyone who believed there was a rift has BS for brains.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Playing on the 4th line for a small amount of time during the year for a young skilled player happens all the time. Playing all year on a line with ahlers is kadri's reward for being a good 2nd line centre.

Edit. Should have said 4th liners not ahlers.

Matthews played and is playing with AHLers as well. Turns out, sometimes guys that come up from the AHL prove to be NHLers as well. Fancy that.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He never explained further what he was disappointed about. Idk. I posted that comment yesterday and nobody seems to know what he’s talking about. Could be just sour grapes but from Lamoriello that’s unlikely. Wish we would just move on. It’s over.
If Tavares had re-signed with the Islanders or still signed with the Leafs with Lou as their GM, I guarantee Lou does not complain about this.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yup. The Leafs have a LOT of good young defencemen coming up now, and it will hopefully pay dividends for years to come. Dermott is already there, and Liljegren is maybe a year away, and then there's Sandin and Durzi on the way, then Rasanen, Gordeev, Kral, Hollowel, Greenway, Nielson..........even if just a few of these kids pan out, it'll be huge.

I don't think Nielson will make it, at least as a Leaf, he seems to be getting passed rather quickly on the depth chart, IF he makes it, it's probably with another team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Most likely not.
Exactly and Lou should remember this. He first meet with Tavares on behalf of the Islanders when he was still employed by the Leafs as a Senior Advisor. So that right there proves he should not complain just because he didn't get his way and re-sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad