Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The "locked up" talk was from another poster.

I agree he worded it carefully. It would shock me if a journalist didn't word something like that with some gray area. I would put it to poor sources since the beat writer is a mouthpiece of the team/Snow. Source from the team says, "we're close on Tavares." This is the result of it.
Fair enough. But based on that, we can probably agree that we'll need a better source than Gross to take as fact that Tavares told the Isles not to trade him (in such a way that he led them to believe he was re-signing). Especially when there have been other sources posted recently that say Snow told Tavares he wouldn't be traded.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If it had gone how so many Isles fans claim to wish, he would have been labeled a fraud and disloyal for wanting to be traded at the deadline. If he had said he wasn't sure if he wanted to be back, he would have been lambasted all year until a trade occurred.

There was literally no winning for him considering that he wasn't against staying.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There was literally no winning for him considering that he wasn't against staying.

Asking to be traded(or at least implying you have no plans to resign) is definitely the less of 2 evils compared to what he did. Sure he would still get some negativity, but I do think a portion of the fanbase would respect(and understand) his choice and wish him the best

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Still it would have been much easier being happy for him and wishing him all the best if he cut the cord with the team and moved on before the deadline(say like Vanek who I have 0 issues with because he was at least honest with the team) then we could say well sucks tavares left, I don't blame him thankfully we got a decent package of futures so hope something pans out there.

Instead you feel like he was playing us using the fans and the desperation of ownership as a Plan B

I believe Tavares when he said he didn't know what he was doing until late in the week after he had met with all the teams prior to July 1st, but even if he had made up his mind much earlier, what would you expect him to say to the media?
As far as cutting the cord at the deadline...
So you and other Isles fans would have been OK with him saying he wanted to jump ship in the middle of a playoff race? I seriously doubt it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm just going to keep posting this.

It wasn't to convince anybody.

Someone asked for evidence and I threw the tweet out there. You can take of it what it will. We were having some nice discourse, but hey start throwing out the emojis now.

You're going to keep posting this but you're not out to convince anybody, sure.

You might want to read this post as it's on point:

Fair enough. But based on that, we can probably agree that we'll need a better source than Gross to take as fact that Tavares told the Isles not to trade him (in such a way that he led them to believe he was re-signing). Especially when there have been other sources posted recently that say Snow told Tavares he wouldn't be traded.

Reactions: Mach85

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So you and other Isles fans would have been OK with him saying he wanted to jump ship in the middle of a playoff race? I seriously doubt it.

it was obvious by the deadline we were out of the playoff race. To put it in perspective we would have to have gone 16-1-1 in our final 18 games to make the playoffs. 4 points out of a playoff spots(when other teams have games in hand on you) mighty seem close but anybody who realizes how hard it is to make up 4 points when you have a few teams ahead of you knew playoffs was a lost cause by that point

It should be noted that it would have taken at least 97 points to make the playoffs last year which if the Islander won ROW they could theoretically get through with 16-2(16-1-1 would guarantee them a spot). Even if you believed a best case scenario that 93 points might get you that wild card 2 spot(Columbus was a team in free fall before the deadline who turned it around just after it), Islanders would have had to go 14-4 which is pretty unrealistic

Last edited:

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

That's fine. I put it out there since many were claiming nobody ever said/reported this. Some are able to have a discussion about that, some are not.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Asking to be traded(or at least implying you have no plans to resign) is definitely the less of 2 evils compared to what he did. Sure he would still get some negativity, but I do think a portion of the fanbase would respect(and understand) his choice and wish him the best

But he wasn't set on leaving, you can't overlook that. If Dubas doesn't sell him on Toronto's ability to keep the core together + pay JT and go for a cup he's an Islander today. You're basically mad at him for liking your city and franchise.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

You might want to read this post as it's on point:
In regards to the final quote in your post, wasn't the "other sources" that were told that Snow would not trade Tavares, Pierre Lebrun? I think Pierre Lebrun holds a tad more credibility than Andrew Gross who has been an Isles beat writer since Feb. 21st (one week before the trade deadline).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's fine. I put it out there since many were claiming nobody ever said/reported this. Some are able to have a discussion about that, some are not.

LOL no. People "claim" all kinds of stuff all the time. What I said (and many others) was that there was no evidence that JT asked not to be traded. And sorry, this one tweet you keep repeating over and over again is not evidence, this guy's credibility has been shown to be questionable (to put it mildly).

If you have something else I'm open to hearing it.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

What? No more emjois?

Nope, I'm not. Look at what I posted and who I quoted. It was in response to people who were saying that this was never reported or wanted evidence. I provided a tweet from the Islanders' beat writer from Newsday.

LOL no. People "claim" all kinds of stuff all the time. What I said (and many others) was that there was no evidence that JT asked not to be traded. And sorry, this one tweet you keep repeating over and over again is not evidence, this guy's credibility has been shown to be questionable (to put it mildly).

If you have something else I'm open to hearing it.

Funny, I was talking to the person who didn't needs LOLs and :) to carry on a discussion.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
or him and wishing him all the best if he cut the cord with the team and moved on before the deadline(say like Vanek who I have 0 issues with because he was at least honest with the team) then we could say well sucks tavares left, I don't blame him thankfully we got a decent package of futures so hope something pans out there.

Instead you feel like he was playing us using the
Lamoriello was meeting with him daily before the deadline yet refused to say anything about the chances of re-signing. He likely knew what was up

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
In regards to the final quote in your post, wasn't the "other sources" that were told that Snow would not trade Tavares, Pierre Lebrun? I think Pierre Lebrun holds a tad more credibility than Andrew Gross who has been an Isles beat writer since Feb. 21st (one week before the trade deadline).

TBH I don't follow these media guys closely so it's hard for me to comment on credibility. This Gross guy on the other hand, I feel quite comfortable saying that he has no credibility at all based on the couple of tweets I've seen today.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What? No more emjois?

Nope, I'm not. Look at what I posted and who I quoted. It was in response to people who were saying that this was never reported or wanted evidence. I provided a tweet from the Islanders' beat writer from Newsday.

Funny, I was talking to the person who didn't needs LOLs and :) to carry on a discussion.

Obsessed with emojis? You must have a hard time here, perhaps you should petition for emojis being happened if you're that sensitive. And might want to change your avatar too if you get my drift. :)

Yes, we've all seen this tweet by now. Hopefully you understand by now that it's really not worth anything. Do you have anything else?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
To me, one of the most sad things about this whole ordeal is that a player who was captain of a franchise and bled their colours for almost a decade, and clearly cared about the organization and the fans is likely to receive a traitors treatment upon his return to Long Island, when he should be receiving a standing ovation.

It is sad really, and something every other star player or prospective star player is going to be paying attention to. Isles fans are going to shoot themselves in the foot on that one.

What star player is going to be lured to that franchise seeing the treatment Tavares is going to get after being captain and bleeding their colours for almost a decade? What do you think a player like Barzal will be thinking when he sees that?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To me, one of the most sad things about this whole ordeal is that a player who was captain of a franchise and bled their colours for almost a decade, and clearly cared about the organization and the fans is likely to receive a traitors treatment upon his return to Long Island, when he should be receiving a standing ovation.

It is sad really, and something every other star player or prospective star player is going to be paying attention to. Isles fans are going to shoot themselves in the foot on that one.

What star player is going to be lured to that franchise seeing the treatment Tavares is going to get after being captain and bleeding their colours for almost a decade? What do you think a player like Barzal will be thinking when he sees that?

I hadn't even thought about this but I think it's a really good point - I can only assume that Barzal is not impressed. Something for NYI fans to think about I guess, glad it's not my problem :)

Reactions: AppsSyl

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not when he told his teammates he would be back

He asked ownership not to trade him. When they said if he wasn't going to re sign. He continually said he wanted to be an islander. He stood there in tears as the plans for the new arena were unveiled and he called Noah Dobson and Oliver Wahlstrom after they were drafted to welcome them to the team. This wasn't just another player. this was the captain and people and ownership took him at his word Josh Bailey his closest friend on the team took less to allow Tavares to get a better contract when signing his 5 year deal.

No wonder Bailey feels betrayed
Didn't know the 16M dollar man called Dobson and Wahlstrom after they were picked. Makes him look worse after the fact doesn't it? Good point about Bailey too.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Habs fan here, but I don't see how anyone can be angry at Tavares. It's not like he left LI to chase cash- he litterally went to the team he grew up cheering for. I really don't see how anyone can hate on that. Definitely a tough pill to swallow for Isles fans, but you can't be pissed at the player (though you can be pissed at the situation).

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Obsessed with emojis? You must have a hard time here, perhaps you should petition for emojis being happened if you're that sensitive. And might want to change youf avatar too if you get my drift. :)

Yes, we've all seen this tweet by now. Hopefully you understand by now that it's really not worth anything. Do you have anything else?

No the emojis and LOLs just add nothing to discussion, and likely make people think your posts do not contain anything of note.

You don't seem to be grasping the concept that it was in rebuttal to people claiming it was never reported or mentioned. It was mentioned, and then discussion about whether or not it was viable took place. That's how a forum works.

We're going in circles here. Have fun with Tavares.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Didn't know the 16M dollar man called Dobson and Wahlstrom after they were picked. Makes him look worse after the fact doesn't it? Good point about Bailey too.
So a player who is captain of a team and hadn't met with other teams yet looks bad, because he goes out of his way to welcome the team's two 18 year old 1st round picks? You really are unreal.

As for Bailey, perhaps he is upset his cash cow is gone? 0.80 ppg with Tavares, 0.49 ppg without him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So a player who is captain of a team and hadn't met with other teams yet looks bad, because he goes out of his way to welcome the team's two 18 year old 1st round picks? You really are unreal.

As for Bailey, perhaps he is upset his cash cow is gone? 0.80 ppg with Tavares, 0.49 ppg without him.
Ask Isles fans. In the end he wasn't much of a Captain was he?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
If we accept Gross as a source, does his "Good news about Tavares" tweet not indicate that he was still considering staying? So which is it, he planned to leave all along and screwed the team or part of him wanted to stay? Or do we just get to pick and choose which tweets to interpret however we want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad