Proposal: TOR-FLA swap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Leafs send Peter Holland to Florida for Reto Berra.

why leafs do it: they need a backup. Berra can probably be plucked from waivers when the season starts, but this saves them an extra contract. It also opens up a spot for Connor Brown to make the team

why panthers do it. Berra is the #3 in Florida. He will be waived. If unclaimed, they have to pay him 1.45m to play in the AHL. They can just play Holland 1.2m to play in their bottom 6.

I know someone is gonna say "why would anyone trade for Holland when he just cleared waivers?" the answer is that Holland was looking for 2+mil in arbitration and the claiming team would have been stuck with the settlement. he instead signed for a reasonable 1.2. also moving a contract at a similar salary out is usually preferable to just claiming a guy on waivers.

thoughts?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know if Berra is the guy I want as our backup his career numbers even as a backup aren't great

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Luongo is injured for the start of the season. This leaves Florida with Brittain as backup. Also no need for Holland either.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No thanks. No need for Holland. Berra is fine as a 3rd goalie.

pretty sure he gets waived the day luongo is cleared. pretty rare for teams to carry 3 goalies, especially if the #3 is getting paid 1.5 million to play once every 2 months

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Luongo is injured for the start of the season. This leaves Florida with Brittain as backup. Also no need for Holland either.

Holland probably cracks the panthers top 9. at worst he is a 4th liner that can move up in case of injuries or terrible play by vets (bolland).
surely that is more useful than paying a guy to be in the pressbox for 70 games

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
pretty sure he gets waived the day luongo is cleared. pretty rare for teams to carry 3 goalies, especially if the #3 is getting paid 1.5 million to play once every 2 months

If the waiv him and someone picks him up, panthers saves 1,5 mil, if he pass they pay him like 500 k in cap. Cheaper then getting Holland at 1.2 mil. They got cheaper players to fill out bottom six.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If the waiv him and someone picks him up, panthers saves 1,5 mil, if he pass they pay him like 500 k in cap. Cheaper then getting Holland at 1.2 mil. They got cheaper players to fill out bottom six.

add the 525,000 in dead cap to any of those bottom 6 players not named scott thornton and holland is actually cheaper.

also in real dollars Berra 1.5 + Mckegg 700k =2.2 million
Holland + Mckegg in the minors = 1.3 million

there is no way the panthers want to pay berra 1.5 mil to play in the AHL

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Holland probably cracks the panthers top 9. at worst he is a 4th liner that can move up in case of injuries or terrible play by vets (bolland).
Is that just an example? Because Bolland is no where near our lineup.

Mad Brills*

I mean if luongo's ready come opening night, you're waiving berra, because a backup making that much money as a #3 makes no sense.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pretty much if Luongo is ready to go this would be a solid trade. Well done to the OP.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
add the 525,000 in dead cap to any of those bottom 6 players not named scott thornton and holland is actually cheaper.

also in real dollars Berra 1.5 + Mckegg 700k =2.2 million
Holland + Mckegg in the minors = 1.3 million

there is no way the panthers want to pay berra 1.5 mil to play in the AHL

Reimer or Bobby Lou goes down during the season, what should they do then? Spend assets to get a new?
Berra for sparks makes more sense...

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida

I know. He'd clear waivers, and then will be the 3rd goalie (getting called up during injuries and stuff).

The Panthers top 9 in really crowded, so there's probably no room for Holland.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I was under the impression the Leafs were waiting on the Cowen decision to be settled and then they will sign Enroth.

Anyways, I think Holland holds more value than a 3rd goalie who will likely be waiver fodder at some point this year. Leafs have first dibs on the waiver wire so if they are interested in Berra, which I wouldn't be, they should just wait until then as I have a feeling that will happen before the season starts.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If the Leafs are running Sparks or they've plugged the hole with someone not overly impressive in the back-up position by the time Luongo is ready. Berra will be in trouble on the waiver wire.

Don't mind having Holland as center depth. He's expendable, but he provides solid depth for the likely scenario of a Bozak trade come the deadline. He also is likely to be one of the 2 forwards exposed that meet the games played requirement in the expansion draft.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If the Leafs are running Sparks or they've plugged the hole with someone not overly impressive in the back-up position by the time Luongo is ready. Berra will be in trouble on the waiver wire.

Don't mind having Holland as center depth. He's expendable, but he provides solid depth for the likely scenario of a Bozak trade come the deadline. He also is likely to be one of the 2 forwards exposed that meet the games played requirement in the expansion draft.

Lou has already said Sparks isn't the backup

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Lou has already said Sparks isn't the backup

Given how late in the summer it is, with nothing accomplished. It looks more and more possible that Leafs enter camp without a vet goalie, maybe even enter the season that way. I do agree that the goal is not to run Sparks as back-up this season. They're going to fill the hole with somebody.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Given how late in the summer it is, with nothing accomplished. It looks more and more possible that Leafs enter camp without a vet goalie, maybe even enter the season that way. I do agree that the goal is not to run Sparks as back-up this season. They're going to fill the hole with somebody.

Once Horton is on LTIR I suspect Enroth will be singed

or maybe a bad contract for bad contract that we can expose in the draft

like Lupul for Howatd or Lupul for Nirmi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, those are both good options. Don't want Howard's extra year, but I'd take Niemi.

But Howard can be exposed in the expansion draft and would likely be claimed so either Niemi or Howard is cool with me.

and to be honest. a Andersen/Howard combo is something I would feel confident in.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
But Howard can be exposed in the expansion draft and would likely be claimed so either Niemi or Howard is cool with me.

and to be honest. a Andersen/Howard combo is something I would feel confident in.

Highly doubt Vegas would take Howard. You never know what starter is going to shock everyone and be left unprotected. People seem to think the expansion draft means all their bad contracts will be gone.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Highly doubt Vegas would take Howard. You never know what starter is going to shock everyone and be left unprotected. People seem to think the expansion draft means all their bad contracts will be gone.

Good point. I think when the expansion draft is done there are going to be lots of unhappy fans.

Would much rather go through free agency to hire a backup than trade for one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Good point. I think when the expansion draft is done there are going to be lots of unhappy fans.

Would much rather go through free agency to hire a backup than trade for one.

There isn't a backup in free agency beyond Enroth

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Just an FYI. If Berra is in the minors, FLA still has to pay him his full salary. So he'll have a ~500k cap hit AND still be getting paid ~1.5m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad