Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
Which teams don’t have aging vets on their team?

More often than not these players were already on the team and aged in to iffy players. They weren't sought out. When that does occur, people don't have to hear about it incessantly like they do with the Leafs.

It's not hate from me. It's a get your crap together and get some proper management. Ones who don't do the same thing year in and year out, like this trade, so we don't have to hear about it as much as we already do.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
More often than not these players were already on the team and aged in to iffy players. They weren't sought out. When that does occur, people don't have to hear about it incessantly like they do with the Leafs.

It's not hate from me. It's a get your crap together and get some proper management. Ones who don't do the same thing year in and year out, like this trade, so we don't have to hear about it as much as we already do.
It’s the Toronto spotlight. Should probably learn to separate the nonsense.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The irony is in the fact that I love Nylander and Matthews and a good handful of Leafs and wish they could get over the hump. If anything, I’m a Leaf FANS hater (and I’d wager the same goes most of HF, honestly…) which is entirely due to the very point I’m trying to make - every team gives ill advised contracts to coveted vets. It happens. Only a Leaf fan would think that being criticized for it is unique to their franchise; every big contract given to a 32+ year old this summer will likely be scrutinized. Leafs fans like to believe that they’re somehow being targeted specially. They’re not. They’re just annoying.

Well, that’s interesting because I hate leaf fan haters.

If you can’t see that leaf PLAYERS and moves get criticized immediately and excessively by people like you who proudly proclaim themselves to be “leaf fan haters” the. You have your head in the sand like most of the rest of the Leaf fan haters.

Have a look at the Stutzle vs matthews poll, or any Marner poll.

Hell, I’ll give you a cookie if you can find me any poll on HFboards where a leaf player wins the poll lmao

You don’t know what you’re talking about

I don't want him to be in Toronto because I actually really like tanev and now the whole league is gonna hate on a great defensive defenceman because omg he's a leaf now. The absolute 180 already in this thread is ridiculous

Holy shit, someone who f***ing gets it

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I’ll explain the idea:

Longer term brings the AAV down to $2.5 or $3m

The length of the deal is irrelevant, because Tanev won’t finish the contract. And when he LTIRetires, the cap comes off the books anyways.

So the only real metric here is how low the Leafs can get the AAV
Well yeah that’s if the AAV is around that. Which I doubt.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Well, that’s interesting because I hate leaf fan haters.

If you can’t see that leaf PLAYERS and moves get criticized immediately and excessively by people like you who proudly proclaim themselves to be “leaf fan haters” the. You have your head in the sand like most of the rest of the Leaf fan haters.

Have a look at the Stutzle vs matthews poll, or any Marner poll.

Hell, I’ll give you a cookie if you can find me any poll on HFboards where a leaf player wins the poll lmao

You don’t know what you’re talking about

Holy shit, someone who f***ing gets it
If everyone hates you why dont you leave?

Interesting thread. We got a guy wishing season ending injury on Tanev, a deranged mod trashing the leafs fanbase, and Tanev somehow becomes the worst defensemen within minutes. Glorious thread. Mods must be on early vacation.
lot of pity here

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Lupul, Murray, Muzzin...

Leafs have had their fair share of getting around deals of aging guys with health issues

But it hasn’t done them a whole lot of good, has it? I like Tanev, I think a guy like Tanev fits the needs of Toronto. I think paying a premium in both term and price to a 34yo injury prone Dman whose game lends itself to further injuries and significant decline is, essentially, going after the player you needed 5 years ago and pretending those 5 years haven’t passed. Tanev is going to fit the Leafs for a year or two. It sucks that what you need isn’t always on the market when you need it, but giving Tanev a large contract for max or near max term at this stage is just a poor idea. Again, no franchise is immune to it. We signed Richards and Redden. To say it’s not the right move isn’t “hating”. It’s the immediate defensiveness of “oh if Dallas gave him 8 years you’d praise it” that is my issue. Absolutely f***ing not. Dallas renting him was a good gamble. A modest extension for 3-4 years is savvy enough. Giving term and money to a guy who is visibly breaking down is a bad move no matter the team. I just only see one group of people who get offended by an honest analysis of where he is in his career.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
These types of additions by Toronto are annoying.

Every year it's the same thing with this team and why they constantly fail. Getting these well past their prime players who are done or were never really good to begin with. Marleau, Thornton, Giordano, etc...Then non-Leafs fans have to hear that *THIS* is the signing that'll put the Leafs over the edge. Cue the threads here of, "Tanev is coming to burn your villages", "Is Tanev the best D in the league?" etc...On top of that, even if you manage to ignore it on the boards, then you have to hear about it in the media constantly of how this is for sure what the Leafs needed and what a great addition blah blah blah. It goes on and on.

I don't know how Leafs fans even buy in to it or tolerate this anymore.

I get it, my first choice would have been to trade Nylander or Marner and fire Keefe and Dubas after the Montreal series

Those moves didn’t happen, and now that both Dubas and Keefe are gone I’d like to trade Marner to make space for moving money to the back end

That might not be possible, or have a deal that would make sense.

So the team has to be creative and work within the confines of the salary cap and try to win a cup.

I’ve seen much worse leaf teams than this.

At least we aren’t Ottawa fans, I could see those guys walking away from their team at this point in their incompetence.

But leafs? He’ll no, this is the most fun I’ve had watching the leafs since 2003

Strangle

May 4, 2009
But it hasn’t done them a whole lot of good, has it? I like Tanev, I think a guy like Tanev fits the needs of Toronto. I think paying a premium in both term and price to a 34yo injury prone Dman whose game lends itself to further injuries and significant decline is, essentially, going after the player you needed 5 years ago and pretending those 5 years haven’t passed. Tanev is going to fit the Leafs for a year or two. It sucks that what you need isn’t always on the market when you need it, but giving Tanev a large contract for max or near max term at this stage is just a poor idea. Again, no franchise is immune to it. We signed Richards and Redden. To say it’s not the right move isn’t “hating”. It’s the immediate defensiveness of “oh if Dallas gave him 8 years you’d praise it” that is my issue. Absolutely f***ing not. Dallas renting him was a good gamble. A modest extension for 3-4 years is savvy enough. Giving term and money to a guy who is visibly breaking down is a bad move no matter the team. I just only see one group of people who get offended by an honest analysis of where he is in his career.

3-4 year contract would actually be worse. For various reasons

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If Leafs weren't involved, it would definitely be 2-4 reasonable contract with Dallas or anyone else. Leafs will inflate that by 50% because gong show franchise, scrutiny, taxes, yadayada

Reactions: Curufinwe

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Always wonder what players think when they get their rights traded 2 days before free agency? I think in this case Tanev would already be considering Toronto, so it doesn't hurt to get a few days of exclusive negotiating rights. May even swing TO in his favour by showing how much they want him. But say Tanev was set on a different team, does trading for his rights do anything for him? Does it really coerce players into signing for a team that wasn't top on their list?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

They've never won so therefore they've never made a good move. Love it.

Reactions: leafsfan5 and Lilou

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If I was Tanev, my top choice would be to sign with Van and play with Hughes. Hughes has also gone to the Canucks multiple times to bring Tanev back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad