Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Oliver Ekman-Larsson signs with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Found he played with an edge under Maurice.
Assume Berube has him playing with a similar snarl?
Yeah he's very physical around the net, it was honestly a surprise to me that we now have a puck-moving defenseman who can play a bit of a gritty game

OEL has been the pickup of the off-season for us so far, hope he can keep it up

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
He has been a beast. I have been shocked how physical he is.

Reverse hits/clearing the crease. He has Been very physical.

Not what I was expecting at all. He plays with Jake McCabe and he has looked like the more physical of the 2 to be honest

I didn't watch the Canucks all that much, but I too was surprised at how physical he was with the Panthers.

Definitely a defenseman I would of liked to seen stay, but Zito had some tough decisions to make with limited cap.

Reactions: Jmo89

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I didn't watch the Canucks all that much, but I too was surprised at how physical he was with the Panthers.

Definitely a defenseman I would of liked to seen stay, but Zito had some tough decisions to make with limited cap.
I think the buyout was a big eye-opener, and the knee injury which made him nearly unplayable in Van seems to be behind him.

Couldn't pivot, slow skating and soft in front of the net. Glad he's reinvented himself, he seems like a good dude that just had a rough patch.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think that having a bad contract and being acquired in a trade that people call one of the worst of all time are things that can wear on your mentally and affect your game. So, in this case, a change of scenery at a more realistic number might have been things that helped him

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Looks like he found a last part of career adjustment. Going from more technical aspect and losing a bit of that ability to being told to and getting used to using his physicality more. Less top end product, but more useful depth qualities.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He was also relied upon to being the #1 do it all d-man in Vancouver when clearly that part of his career was over. The Vancover organization when OEL arrived was a tragic, rotten place where players came to fizzle out. No structure, bad coaching, horrible management and likely a bad lockeroom. The buy out was absolutely necessary when Alvin came in and cleaned it all up. You could see there was a good player there deep down.

This is definitely a pro scouting win by Toronto. Lots of people laughed and thought it was a massive overpay but when OEL is in a structured and insulated environment he flourishes. A good coach like Berube is an excellent fit for OEL.

This really cannot be emphasised enough. Benning literally described him as a bonafide #1 defenseman and something the team lacked. At the time, Hughes hadn't yet taken his step so the sentiment wasn't entirely wrong but... OEL just wasn't capable of playing that role anymore.

Like Vector said, he was quite decent his first year but between injuries and vastly overestimating what he was things just didn't work out. Glad he seems to have turned things around. Seems like a pretty good guy and if I recall, most of the team had only positive things to say.

Unfortunately, Vancouver back then was a disaster of a team run by a circus monkey and a blueberry fool who couldn't stay out of his own way.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
He wasn't a bad standout though. Seems like a weird comment tbh.
That piping hot pizza he served up to Werenski was the stinkiest moment of the game!

The old-timer was minus-3 on the night...

Not a "weird" observation to make in a thread dedicated to him IMO.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
That piping hot pizza he served up to Werenski was the stinkiest moment of the game!

The old-timer was minus-3 on the night...

Not a "weird" observation to make in a thread dedicated to him IMO.

I agree.

Obviously everybody was poor last night; however, I thought OEL made the more blatant and significant errors.

I'm not going to judge him based on 1 game where the whole team sucked, but I do agree that he was one of the worst performers in a terrible group "effort" yesterday.

As I've said earlier in some of the posts praising our new players, it's too early to know who is just on a hot streak to start the year and who are quakity additions.

I think Tanev and OEL will both be the latter, but it still remains to be seen... despite some posters already deciding that a bunch of our other players are LTIRetire worthy already based on less than 10 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad