Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Jake McCabe signs extension with the Maple Leafs (5 years, $4.51M AAV; deferred salary between year 2 and 3)

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
This is a solid deal in isolation...

But slightly problematic in the grand scheme of things. He's getting a $2.51m raise (from our perspective), as he turns 32.

The next year the Leafs have 4 defencemen signed for a total of $19m, the youngest of which is Morgan Rielly at 31, who will have been a 12-year vet at this point.
He is not getting a $2.51m raise. He is currently at $4m aav with the Blackhawks retaining half from their 2023 trade.

Reactions: banks

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He is not getting a $2.51m raise. He is currently at $4m aav with the Blackhawks retaining half from their 2023 trade.

$2.51m raise FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE

The current cap hit (after retention) is irrelevant to the extension. You're not going to find a defenseman in free agency who can play on your 2nd pair for $2M.

Correct... I guess the question is -- are we "happy" with him as our 2nd pair defenceman for the next couple of years.

You look at all 3 deals -- Tanev, OEL, McCabe, there's nothing wrong with any of them individually.

The challenge is add Rielly into that mix as your #1-- is this the trio you want as your 2-3-4? Even if you assume that you can go out and get a better #1 or #2 to bump the trio down, it's a very old group.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
evolving-hockey's contract projection had him at 5 x 5.6

Okay ... what do you want me to do with that?

If you think there are teams that want to pay Jake McCabe $5.5 million until he's 37, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree.

McCabe is a solid mid-pairing guy and he's played quite well for the Maple Leafs since he was acquired. He will turn 32 about a week into his new contract. I think he could have got $5.5 on a two year deal, and maybe on a three, but a five year deal? Extremely unlikely.

Reactions: wetcoast

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Okay ... what do you want me to do with that?

If you think there are teams that want to pay Jake McCabe $5.5 million until he's 37, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree.

McCabe is a solid mid-pairing guy and he's played quite well for the Maple Leafs since he was acquired. He will turn 32 about a week into his new contract. I think he could have got $5.5 on a two year deal, and maybe on a three, but a five year deal? Extremely unlikely.

2nd pair defenders don't sign two year deals in UFA, there's too much interest in them.

Your position is that it's insanity. A group that models contract projections based on historical data disagrees.

Reactions: banks

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
I see people complaining that it should have been 1 year less or a little less money, but honestly he is one of the Leafs most consistent defencemen. He hits, he blocks shots, he can kill penalties, and he makes a good first pass. I am fine with this deal. He might be the best all-around defenceman on the team.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Ye deferred salaries are gunna get axed ASAP
Not even sure how it doesn’t count as part of the AAV calculations with it being between year 2 and 3. Like how is it not treated like a SB or part of the yearly salary. I can understand it when it’s paid out at the end of the contract but not in the middle like this one. Can someone explain?

Reactions: uncleben

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That doesn't seem too bad, 20+ min per night Dmen with any standout qualities, are always going to get paid well as UFA's. I don't doubt he may have done even better on an open market, but obviously likes where he's at. It's low end top 4 money for a solid second pairing guy, seems fine to me, just the term that's a maybe a tad worrisome.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not even sure how it doesn’t count as part of the AAV calculations with it being between year 2 and 3. Like how is it not treated like a SB or part of the yearly salary. I can understand it when it’s paid out at the end of the contract but not in the middle like this one. Can someone explain?

Deferred money is counted in the AAV at a discount rate based presumably on SOFR.

McCabe is deferring $5.5m to year 6, the NPV (net present value) of that deferral is included in the AAV at 4.55m. That’s a reduction of $199k/year on the AAV.

Reactions: Koivu11

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Deferred money is counted in the AAV at a discount rate based presumably on SOFR.

McCabe is deferring $5.5m to year 6, the NPV (net present value) of that deferral is included in the AAV at 4.55m. That’s a reduction of $199k/year on the AAV.
Thanks for clarifying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad