Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Okay... And what exactly do you expect fans to do?
At no point in my post did i say anything about the fans not being able to be happy.

I clearly said that some posters, see the important bit here is some posters, the same posters who at the end of every year scream for everybody to be traded, then when summer hits its wow this is the best contract signed this year and everybody is so jealous...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Love that he's here and if it doesn't work out he can retire and it won't count against the cap I see no problem with this deal .

Why would he retire and leave all that money on the table?

If it "doesn't work out," with his track record, it will be injury related or age related and there's zero reason for him to retire and just give up tens of millions of dollars.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Why would he retire and leave all that money on the table?

If it "doesn't work out," with his track record, it will be injury related or age related and there's zero reason for him to retire and just give up tens of millions of dollars.
Ltir - he’d lose nothing. W his injury history not hard to envision that being the end game

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Love that he's here and if it doesn't work out he can retire and it won't count against the cap I see no problem with this deal .
You really think he will leave x years at $4.5M on the table ?

Are you interested in buying a bridge ?

Ltir - he’d lose nothing. W his injury history not hard to envision that being the end game
But that's not what the poster he quoted stated...

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
For sure but recent years have shown you can be on LTIR and the league will let you retire at the same time without problem. (Didn't Pronger even get to be in the HHOF and on roster at the same time, if im remembering correctly?
Not this time. Bettman will make an example of the Leafs. It's a cynical contract purposely to try and skirt the rules. Good luck with that LTIR plan.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Not this time. Bettman will make an example of the Leafs. It's a cynical contract purposely to try and skirt the rules. Good luck with that LTIR plan.
Been zero repercussions to this point w many examples prior …. Absolutely nothing will happen . Zero . Nadda . But here’s hoping eh ? ^^^

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yup. Line is drawn here. Once again the Leafs will ruin the party for everyone by pushing it too far
How is it pushing too far ? The contract hasn’t even started for christs sake . Especially an older player w a litany of injuries in his history . Won’t get a second glance … why would this be different? Because Leafs? Have done nothing to this point and will continue to do so …despite the sad hopes of posters …

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
How is it pushing too far ? The contract hasn’t even started for christs sake . Especially an older player w a litany of injuries in his history . Won’t get a second glance … why would this be different? Because Leafs? Have done nothing to this point and will continue to do so …despite the sad hopes of posters …

Don't confuse haters wishes with reality. Remember when they left on a flight and got a fine and people were saying it should cost them their first lol. People just want the Leafs to lose

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Because he was unlikely to finish the contract before it was signed. The only reason for the term was to circumvent the salary cap. You can be subtle or you can be the Leafs flaunting the rules. Again, lets see in 2028 when he's a corpse and you cant put him on LTIR.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Because he was unlikely to finish the contract before it was signed. The only reason for the term was to circumvent the salary cap. You can be subtle or you can be the Leafs flaunting the rules. Again, lets see in 2028 when he's a corpse and you cant put him on LTIR.
Why wouldn’t a corpse be ltir eligible? Seems it’s a massive hope of yours based on bupkiss …. Rhobida island has plenty of room . But sure keep your hopes up lol

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Is Trouba eligible? It's entirely possible that Tanev will be bad but not suffer a long term injury. He can just be constantly missing games and suck.
Who isn’t eligible for ltir other than a healthy player … so yes ? He hasn’t even played 1 game on it. Like see what happens . But if you’re holding out hope for some sort of penalty I suspect you’ll be left wanting ..

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Who isn’t eligible for ltir other than a healthy player … so yes ? He hasn’t even played 1 game on it. Like see what happens . But if you’re holding out hope for some sort of penalty I suspect you’ll be left wanting ..
The penalty will happen down the line when he is ineffective and they try to put him on LTIR. Leafs fans seem to think LTIR is a given because other teams have done it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why and how would Bettman make an example of some fans plan for Tanev?

The penalty will happen down the line when he is ineffective and they try to put him on LTIR. Leafs fans seem to think LTIR is a given because other teams have done it.
No, I don't. Though I do think if a player has a long term injury LTIR should be an option.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
And so have the Leafs prior …several times (Lupol , Joffrey , Matt Murray , Jake Muzzin etc among others populate the island ) …

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad