Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I love that Chris Tanev has been making 4.45 or 4.5 million since 2015. And now is going to do the same for another 6 years. That's a man that knows his worth.

Good luck Toronto sending him off to Robidas Island in the later years. This guy would play even if his face was falling off. Nothing but respect for the dude because he routinely blocks shots with his face but the Leafs needed a guy like him 3 years ago. If him and Rielly can get on the same page this could definitely work out in the short term tho.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Where is ‘here’ that almost everyone makes under $23k?
Re read what I said Tanev makes more in a week than 99.9% of us make in a year.

That's $161000 per week to whatever people make in a year and American dollars.
I'm not begrudging him or any player but it really does stand out.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think we get 3 seasons out of him.
That might be 'optimistic'.......with the frightening run of injuries this guy has had, when the bottom drops out of the bag, it will happen quickly.

Tanev has had a stellar NHL career for a guy who was never drafted, and has made every blueline he's ever played on that much better. But he'll be a serious 'buy-out' candidate in two seasons. And the Lafs will still be paying Tanev when his hits his 40th birthday.

But when you're as desperate for quality d-men as the Leafs, are, I guess 'desperate times' call for 'desperate measures'.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
6 year deal, takes him to what, 44 yrs old??

Of course the league is looking at this.............what are the rules about signing a contract after the age of 35?

You aren't good at math.

34+6=40

You have added on magic numbers

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It's gonna be so shit seeing Tanev be awesome for Toronto. And this after Calgary. Let me guess, he somehow ends up playing for Edmonton and Carolina too. What a crap. A complete crap.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I bet you loved Tanev when he was a Flame
I know I did, but we're also looking at "4 years for a 30 year old d-man with injury history" vs "6 years for a 34 year old d-man with injury history". 4 years for a 30 year old, even with injury history is a risk you can take. 6 years for that same guy, 4 years later though? Not a lot of players even play to 40, let alone injury prone players with a high physical toll on their body. Lets put it this way, last season there were 0 players who were 40 years old. Only 23 players over the age of 35 played last year. That's 5 of those 6 years on an injury prone, highly physical d-man.

Reactions: The Nuge

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3