Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No need to even read it, At the time of the trade the NHL either allows the trade to go through or they do not.

This after the fact nonsense is just click bait.

I don’t have any opinions on the validity of this article.

However the league can and has explicitly reserved the right to cancel contracts it has previously approved. In the case of Hossa, Luongo and probably others the league approved their contracts, but explicitly notified the respective teams that while the league had approved the contracts the league considered them to be possible cap circumvention and reserved the right to void the contracts in the future, with potential punishment for the teams.

The most interesting question to me is whether the NHL has officially notified Toronto that they consider the Tanev contract a potential circumvention? Or has the NHL not done such and this just speculation from the media?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I’d be perfectly happy to see the LTIR loopholes closed up, but (assuming this article is believable) it is hilarious that it wasn’t Tampa’s or Vegas’s exploitation of LTIR on their way to Stanley Cup victories that finally got the league’s attention, but Chris Tanev’s deal with the Leafs.
You've never heard of the straw that broke the camel's back ?

You always know its a quality article when they never link the source of what they made their click bait article on 👍

Entire article is based on some random reporter speculating what the NHL might do.

Bettman has literally said nothing, and no reporters are quoting anything that Bettman said.

Journalism is a joke nowadays. People just read a headline and take it as fact.
Blame Mr. Fake News...

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t have any opinions on the validity of this article.

However the league can and has explicitly reserved the right to cancel contracts it has previously approved. In the case of Hossa, Luongo and probably others the league approved their contracts, but explicitly notified the respective teams that while the league had approved the contracts the league considered them to be possible cap circumvention and reserved the right to void the contracts in the future, with potential punishment for the teams.

The most interesting question to me is whether the NHL has officially notified Toronto that they consider the Tanev contract a potential circumvention? Or has the NHL not done such and this just speculation from the media?
According to the article it is based on fan speculation
"In a recent mailbag post, The Athletic’s Eric Duhatschek was asked if the NHL might ever revisit the use of LTIR, especially for older players who are signed to contracts that virtually guarantee they won’t play them out."
There is no mention of the NHL itself being overly interested in the contract nor has there been any thing said by the Leafs about using LTIR on the Tanev deal. That is also fan driven often by some Maple Leaf fans ( but not limited to them) in response to criticism of the contract.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The whole debate is dumb ignoring the clickbait article. They didn't sign Tanev at 38 until he is 47 or something. He signed 34-40. Leafs literally had a 40 year old dman on their roster last season. It's not even a 35+ contract.

Unless the NHL is going to go after every team with someone 35+ on LTIR nothing will happen.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I don’t expect the league to anything about the Tanev contract however, Seravelli on his podcast before FA even began mentioned that the league would be keeping a close eye on situations where aging players were signed to long term deals as a way of giving them more money and spreading out the cap hit. He specifically mentioned the Tanev negotiations as an example.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
scooby-doo-shaggy.gif

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

The only reason the NHL didn’t go after Vancouver is because the PA cut a deal after losing the Kovalchuk/NJ circumvention grievance. The PA agreed to immediate new contract structure changes and additional limits in the next CBA, including the Cap Recapture rule. In return the NHL allowed the other existing circumvention contracts such as Luongo to run their course rather than pursuing penalties similar to those issued to New Jersey for Kovalchuk.
But they did persue penalties, retroactive cap penalties that Vancouver had to deal with for years.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I feel like the NHL will treat this contract in good faith until the leafs try to LTIR him.

Contract is so transparent. This guy isn't going last 6 years, he's got 2 years left MAX, his body is breaking.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I feel like the NHL will treat this contract in good faith until the leafs try to LTIR him.

Contract is so transparent. This guy isn't going last 6 years, he's got 2 years left MAX, his body is breaking.

He was playing 22 minutes a night in the playoffs a couple months ago…

The way people talk about his injuries is like five years out of date.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I don’t know if I’d call it really solid. There’s still only 1 top pairing dman, and 2 more legit top 4 dmen. And it’s not like they can fit it under the cap.

Why? Tanev is unquestionably the better dman, and he’s cheaper. Tanev might not be a top pairing dman anymore, but he’s still a good second pairing guy. Zadorov has never, and will never be a top 4 dman.

I wonder if they were able to insure his contract for this exact reason. You’d think any insurance company would flat out refuse it.
Leafs are rich. They dont care if they have to pay it themselves as long as they can stash him on LTIR when the time comes

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He was playing 22 minutes a night in the playoffs a couple months ago…

The way people talk about his injuries is like five years out of date.
Injured in Conference finals, but no surgery needed he said.

Got hit with a puck and next shift I jumped on the ice, took a step and felt something pop in my ankle,” Tanev said Tuesday. “Obviously, right away, you’re thinking the worst and thinking, ‘Oh, man. I just popped my Achilles.’ Thankfully it wasn’t that. I just hurt some of the tendons that go behind my ankle. No surgery. I’ll be fine in a couple of weeks, which is awesome.”

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't actually think there's anything wrong with signing an NHL player to age 40. It's the ones that were going to 41 or 42, and/or had virtually no money in the ages 38-40 range but were heavily frontloaded, that constituted blatant attempts at circumvention.

There isn't any of that in this contract. Tanev's deal doesn't go beyond 40, and it contains $4.5M in base salary in every year of the deal. No bonuses, no frontloading whatsoever. That contract is fine to me.

Source: Chris Tanev | 6yrs x 4.500M (TOR)

The issue some anticipate relates to potential shenanigans related to LTIR as he ages. The NHL just needs to make sure they're extra vigilant about the reasoning if they make the case that he can't play any longer at age 38. Get meticulous on the medical records. If they pass muster, I don't see why this is a problem. Players head for LTIRetirement before their contracts expire due to the wear and tear all the time. Virtually all the cases are legitimate.

The thing with LTIR is... players don't fake injuries. Everyone else is faking good health.

You don't want to lose your spot to some kid coming up, or to a journeyman busting his ass, so everyone's constantly playing hurt and lying to everyone (team doctor, coach, GM) about it. Teams rarely repeat or go deep every year because player bodies are so shattered playing into June if their club goes on a run. It's the same reason so many players live on that thin line of just enough or pain killer dependency.

When it's finally in your interest to admit to your injuries, a doctor doesn't have to fudge anything to prove it. Injury-riddled 38 years olds? The NHL is full of them.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just another case of boys crying wolf.

Folks tried to make a stink about what happened to Murray, and we all saw how that panned out. The league has already set a defecto age of 35 where they consider certain restrictions on what can happen with contracts - and Tanaev is below that.

He will either play out the contract or will play until he can no longer physically able, the same that applies to literally every other player

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't actually think there's anything wrong with signing an NHL player to age 40. It's the ones that were going to 41 or 42, and/or had virtually no money in the ages 38-40 range but were heavily frontloaded, that constituted blatant attempts at circumvention.

There isn't any of that in this contract. Tanev's deal doesn't go beyond 40, and it contains $4.5M in base salary in every year of the deal. No bonuses, no frontloading whatsoever. That contract is fine to me.

Source: Chris Tanev | 6yrs x 4.500M (TOR)

The issue some anticipate relates to potential shenanigans related to LTIR as he ages. The NHL just needs to make sure they're extra vigilant about the reasoning if they make the case that he can't play any longer at age 38. Get meticulous on the medical records. If they pass muster, I don't see why this is a problem. Players head for LTIRetirement before their contracts expire due to the wear and tear all the time. Virtually all the cases are legitimate.

The thing with LTIR is... players don't fake injuries. Everyone else is faking good health.

You don't want to lose your spot to some kid coming up, or to a journeyman busting his ass, so everyone's constantly playing hurt and lying to everyone (team doctor, coach, GM) about it. Teams rarely repeat or go deep every year because player bodies are so shattered playing into June if their club goes on a run. It's the same reason so many players live on that thin line of just enough or pain killer dependency.

When it's finally in your interest to admit to your injuries, a doctor doesn't have to fudge anything to prove it. Injury-riddled 38 years olds? The NHL is full of them.
Great post but I just came on to say they have his daily cap hit at $23077 man he makes more in a week than 99.9% of people here in a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00